Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What would you send to get graded?

Crinus

From a collecting perspective, what would you send to get graded and does graded cards matter in the final value price a collector will pay?

Years ago if you look at my ebay auction below, I got a Scizor I sent in to Beckett to get graded, came back as a 9, hoping it would get a 10, but I was just flipping through the binder looking for a good card to just send in for the sake of sending it in, the one that not only looked mint, but looked centered the best, thats the one I came up with.

Anyone know the cost of a grading service, is it worth it?

I'm certain that at least one of the higher-value card collectors will give you a more in-depth answer.
That being said, here's what I believe to be the short answer:

Yes, grading services do boost the value of your cards. But note that PSA will give you the greatest boost, followed semi-closely by Beckett. (This can be reversed in certain card cases, but this is the in-short version.)

As for not getting the grade you wanted, it happens. There is a lot in the air with the grading and even pack-to-pocket cards sometimes don't score a 10. Hence a 9 under PSA still being a mint card. There are just so many small things that can't always be predicted.

The costs of a grading service vary and can be found very easily with a minimal amount of Google searching. Whether it is worth it or not is really a question of your goal. If you are looking to make a profit, the impression I have gotten is that you should not bother. Most people, after man hours, membership fees, individual grade cost, etc., will tell you that it's really not worth it if you are looking for profit. But if you are personally a collector and want to get cards graded for your personal collection, consider the costs and ask yourself if it is worth it.

And to answer the question in the thread title, I would only send a few things to get graded. First would be cards with great sentimental value. The reason for this is self-evident. I would send cards that are very rare and valuable and in great condition in as well. If I think it's going to get a 5, I wouldn't bother. And by very valuable, I'm thinking around $100 minimum. This is what I would personally get graded.

From a collecting perspective, what would you send to get graded and does graded cards matter in the final value price a collector will pay?

Years ago if you look at my ebay auction below, I got a Scizor I sent in to Beckett to get graded, came back as a 9, hoping it would get a 10, but I was just flipping through the binder looking for a good card to just send in for the sake of sending it in, the one that not only looked mint, but looked centered the best, thats the one I came up with.

Anyone know the cost of a grading service, is it worth it?

Hi Crinus!

I have been into Graded Pokemon cards for about 3 years now. I have never graded with PSA.
But I have graded 60+cards with Beckett. And have never got a 10. Beckett gives a lot more accurate grades then PSA does.
I have PSA 10's that have corner wear. And my Beckett 9.5's have little to none.
The best thing about Beckett is that they give Subgrades for Corners, Surface, Edges, & Centering.
It is almost impossible to get a Beckett 10! Almost every Pokemon card, even when it's still sealed in a booster will not grade a Beckett 10.

I have sent cards expecting to get a 9.5 but get a 9 instead (Still Mint tho.). Due to a miniscule scratch on the surface or something.

Here's the guidelines for Beckett;
http://www.beckett.com/estore/helpsys/viewarticle.aspx?ArticleId=47

As for the fees, Beckett only charges you $9 each card up to 20 cards. $8 each if you submit more than 20 cards in one order. Then even more discount if you send in more bulk. With Beckett no membership is required & No hidden submission fees (Except shipping).

PSA will charge $15 each card unless you have membership with them which is $110 a year.

Oh, and on the subject. I don't have many cards left. I've already graded them.:thumb:

About your Scizor you graded, On the old WOTC cards a 9 = 9.5 that's how hard it is to get a 9.5 on those old cards.
Take the Base set Charizard for example, (61) Charizards have graded 9. (205) have graded 8.5. Only (3) have graded 9.5

I hope this helps!
Good luck on the grading!

---------- Post added 10/27/2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

^I'm assuming that your Scizor is the one from Neo Discovery^

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread and for the answers, as I have been thinking about grading some of my cards as well :) Especially the information which flygon_frank_66 posted feels really helpful!

As for what I would send.. I'd send my favourites of course! Mostly japanese cards like Crystal Nidoking (1st edition), Karen's Umbreon (1st edition), N full art (1st edition), maybe Steelix (Mysterious Mountains, 1st edition - yeah, that's just an important card for me haha). Maybe shiny's and/or shinings, who knows.

Although Beckett is far more specific, it simply does not have the reputation that PSA does. For those reasons, I think the hardcore collectors ought to go with Beckett, and the resellers ought to go with PSA.

As for what I would send in? Well, I have a gem mint first edition Shining Charizard that I'm almost certain would get a PSA-9 or PSA-10. I would then resell it for (ideally) $200-$300, and then buy a regular old one for $90-$100.

I can just about kick myself in the butt for trading way some of the things like shining cards, even had a Japanese Shining Charizard one time I traded.

Back