Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's In A Name?

Professor Sycamore

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Introduction

Have you ever wondered why a deck is named in a certain manner? Have you built a deck and you’re still looking for a good name that will catch on? Well, This article is for you. Through the seasons of playing Pokemon, I’ve seen a whole lot of decks come in and out of rotation. And a lot of the common ones have had some good names that seemed to have stuck. Most of these names stuck because they have followed the rules of naming a Pokemon deck. Rules to naming a Pokemon deck?! Preposterous! Yes, despite there not being a written law, a good number of decks have been following this partner all throughout the EX series. This article is going to show you the different common ways that people have named their decks. There is one more note before reading this. This goes by the rules that have been made by the Pokemon Community. These don’t necessary follow the guidelines used for the Official Pokemon Starter and World Championship decks.

Rules for naming decks

There are some things that you have to look at when you're naming your deck. One thing is what does your deck do? As you saw, a lot of decks have what they do in the deck name. Another is what are the primary cards? What are the main attackers/auxiliary cards in the deck. The cards that combo together. What are the special Techs for the deck? Sometimes the deck changes in name because of the techs. Case in point the different Gengar decks, from Speedgar, Vilegar, Lostgar, to Cursegar. While this is important there are certain cards that don't go into the deck name. For one, the common staples. What's the difference between a staple and a tech? A staple are the common cards that are in about 90% of decks to keep them consistent. I.E., Uxie, Bebe's Search, Claydol(last season). A tech is a card or cards that are used in only a few decks to help solidify the deck or protect it. It's also a card to support the deck itself, E.I., Zangoose PT, Vileplume UD, Ninetales HS, Relicanth SV, Technical Machine TS-2, Toxicroak G DP41, Crobat G PT, etc.

Types of deck names

I’m going to begin with the type of deck names out there. Seeing the different types of ways that people name their deck will help in naming them. Each type of naming comes in handy depending on what type of deck you have. Please note: Deck names that are marked by a * are decks that I created.

1. Direct Naming
This type is basically just naming it after your primary Pokemon. They are usually your primary attacker(s), or the primary attack and it’s main supporter. When it uses two pokemon in the direct naming it's usually because the two pokemon doesn't sound right together. (I.E. Scizrim).

Examples:

Donphan*,

Scizor/Cherrim.

Metagross/Steelix.

Inferape/Delcatty,

Muk EX.

Medicham EX.

Special Cases
One type of popular naming that I would let fall into the Direct Naming category is the Variant variety. Variant decks tend to have the same attackers, but go about in different ways. The main attackers are usually the same, but the techs are completely different.

Examples:

Swampert Variants,

Gardevoir Variants,

Abomasnow Variants*,

Gyarados Variants,

Flygon EX Variants

2. Abbreviating/Acronyms:
This style of naming is usually used when there are three main attackers/supporters for the deck. This is the best way to name a deck with three key Pokemon. Letter order of this style is actually a semantic process, meaning whatever sounds better when you say it.

Examples:

BLG,

LBS,

ZRE.

SAM*

3. Dual Compounding:
This is the most popular way of naming decks. It is where you take the names of the primary Pokemon. There are rules when it comes to compounding. The first syllable is usually the first syllable or syllables of one Pokemon. The second part is usually the last syllable or syllables of the other pokemon.

Example:

Dragtrode,

Flariados,

Metanite,

Luxchomp,

Maggron*

Vilegar

4. Single Compounding:
This type of naming is quite similar to the Dual Compounding. The difference is that the deck is surrounding around a single Pokemon. It's being combined with a word that is generally a description of what the deck does.

Examples:

Palkia Lock,

Sablelock,

Speedrill,

Dark Flygon,

Shuppet Donk.

5. Derivational:
These are some of the most creative names that we've seen. Derivational names of decks are those names that takes something in real life and is applied to the deck name. This may include some Pokemon Jargon or something that deals with entertainment. This style really shows the creativity of the world of Pokemon.

Examples:

Monarchy
Please note that Monarchy Decks are decks that use Nidoking and Nidoqueen as the main attackers

Absolution,

Magma,

Lady Gaga,

Hurricane.

Legos,

Rabies.

Skittles,

Helix.

Cover 2 Defense*,

Conclusion

Now that you've read this, it shouldn't be a problem to name your deck. It usually comes naturally, but one more thing to realize about naming your deck is whether or not it sound correctly to the ears. As in why is it Luxchomp and not Gar-Ray? What's better, GenPlume or Vilegar? Why is it BLG and not LGB or GLB? It's all about how it sounds. Is it catchy? Does roll off the lips easier? There can be some interesting combinations of names when you get the Pokemon that work together. I.E., my nephew cam up with the deck name Champion from Garchomp/Empoleon (forming Chompeon, which sounds like champion)

Thanks for reading the article.

Special Thanks
Cyrus
Milan P.

P.S.: Just for a little fun, how about you come up with some deck names that would be epic to have.​

Last edited:
Sometimes, it isn't their fault that a deck gets named something. For example, Steve S's primary choice for his Worlds '09 deck was "Raybies"; yet for some untold reason, they didn't go with it.

This was a fun read, but I think you should've split "derivation" into two categories: logical and arbitrary. Many of the decks you have listed have perfectly reasonable derivation (e.g., monarchy=rule of royalty=nidoking and nidoqueen, which makes sense), but other decks, such as Rambolt and Boltevoir, don't have that (Josef B. = Rambolt = ...Banette ex?)

Yea, naming decks can be a chore sometimes. When I built my Leafeon/Roserade deck (the one that uses miasma wind) I called it Stungun. Cause it causes special conditions (stun) and then does big damage(gun). Yea, that didn't stick. >.<

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

Nice article. ^^

But in the last category, I'd have liked to see better examples, like Dark Heart, Rock Lock or Plox.

Absolution(s) and He(a)lix are more sinlge / double compounding to me. Yes, it comes out to a new word, but the name comes from the two Pokémon who are in.

Yea, naming decks can be a chore sometimes. When I built my Leafeon/Roserade deck (the one that uses miasma wind) I called it Stungun. Cause it causes special conditions (stun) and then does big damage(gun). Yea, that didn't stick. >.<

-Jason
:)dark::colorless:20)

That actually sounds like a good name that'll fall under the derivational category. Most deck names stick when they win (or top cut) consistently.

You were right, it's Luxray GL (Lady) Dialga G (Ga) Garchomp C (Ga)

Okay. That makes more sense.

---------- Post added 01/14/2011 at 08:17 AM ----------

Nice article. ^^

But in the last category, I'd have liked to see better examples, like Dark Heart, Rock Lock or Plox.

Absolution(s) and He(a)lix are more sinlge / double compounding to me. Yes, it comes out to a new word, but the name comes from the two Pokémon who are in.

It's the fact that a new word is formed when is why decks like Absolution and Helix would be considered Derivational more than Compounding. When I see compounded deck names, I'm thinking more of sliced names. I.E. Luxchomp and vilegar. With Helix and Absolution, we alter the compounded name phonetically, thus making them derivational because they are derived from something else.

I was actually going to put Rock Lock and Plox on the list, but I decided to cut them out at the last minute. But yes, those two decks are good examples for deriviational names.

Last edited:
Just like to point out that it's Healix not Helix, cause the deck is based around "Heal"ing Stee"lix" while the helix soundalike just makes it sound natural . Technically that's single compound, not derivational (and i love that my name for it is ont he list :D)

Very interesting article. I feel a few more names could've been given, but i do like how left of center the article is. I'll add some possible names later probably xD

Queendom should be there. ;)

I didn't want the article to be bogged down with examples that the purpose of the article is taken away. That's why there are some decks I didn't include. But, I'm glad that so many people are finding interests in this article.
Just like to point out that it's Healix not Helix, cause the deck is based around "Heal"ing Stee"lix" while the helix soundalike just makes it sound natural . Technically that's single compound, not derivational (and i love that my name for it is ont he list :D)

Very interesting article. I feel a few more names could've been given, but i do like how left of center the article is. I'll add some possible names later probably xD

Well, some derivational comes from a person's dialect. I felt that while Healix was compounded name for the deck. It would come off better as Helix because people are more familiar with it to call it that, plus with people's dialect and accents, it would come off as being heard as Helix.

FYI: I ran a variant of helix (healix) at nats last year. :lol:

u shoudve put solrock/lunatone in there :)

That seems more like a tech-combo more than a deck. I could be mistaken though.

Great article. I never knew what a lot of the old archetype combos did and its really informative for someone who started playing after DP came out. I'm super jealous of how buff all the Eeveelutions powers were!

PS. My vote goes to Lady Gaga and ESPCIALLY Legos as the worst archetype names ever. Way to completely alienate new players by not keeping it simple guys! (It seriously took me like 2 months of lurking before i ever found out what legos meant, lol)

Great article. I never knew what a lot of the old archetype combos did and its really informative for someone who started playing after DP came out. I'm super jealous of how buff all the Eeveelutions powers were!

PS. My vote goes to Lady Gaga and ESPCIALLY Legos as the worst archetype names ever. Way to completely alienate new players by not keeping it simple guys! (It seriously took me like 2 months of lurking before i ever found out what legos meant, lol)

me too.
It got so bad i finally just had to ask someone what the heck leggos were.

Also, what was the strategy in SAM?

Back