Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Where are the Japanese?

Dawn

Where are the Japanese seniors at worlds? On the website, in the Who is Playing section it clearly says that the only Japanese senior competing is Kohei Takenaka, who got 2nd at Worlds last year, what happened? Did Japan just get rid of qualifiers?

Nope. They only play 2 divisions anymore. Seniors were effectively merged into Masters, and therefore none earned invites.

There is no Senior division in Japan. Its 10- and 11+, and of course everyone 11-14 is outclassed by the 15+ "Masters". I know a lot of Japanese "Seniors" are going to grinders so the amount that are in the main event should be a lot higher.

not sure, but for many years the Masters age group has been the largest here, and largest attending at nationals. but 11+ is a stretch. may be 14- and 15+ would fix it I don't know.

Last edited:
Actually I believe Japan plays in a way that 12 and under are the younger group and 13 and over are the older group. At least that is what I have heard.

According to the official Japanese website (link) in the "Pokemon Trading Card Game World Challenge Tournament" section (ポケモンカードゲーム ワールドチャレンジトーナメント), they refer to the birth year rather than age which is A-league (2001+) , B-league (2000-), and O-league (All ages).

I'm wondering, how is the Japanese invite system like? Why are there so little Japanese players qualifying for worlds? It seems that Yamato has to grind every year for the invite.

Back