Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Which Kirlia to use?

Hey. I am working on my Gardevoir/ex deck and I was wondering if any of you could help me out on which Kirlia to use. For comparison purposes, here are the different Kirlias:

All are Psychic, have 70 HP, are weak to Psychic, have no resistance, and have a retreat of 1.

EX Ruby and Sapphire #34/109

Kirlia

(P) Removal Beam (10) Flip a coin. If heads, discard 1 Energy card attached to the Defending Pokémon.

(P)(C)(C) Super Psy (50)

EX Ruby and Sapphire #35/109

Kirlia

(C) Dazzle Dance Flip a coin. If heads, each Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

(P) Life Drain Flip a coin. If heads, put damage counters on the Defending Pokémon until it is 10 HP away from being Knocked Out.

EX Sandstorm #40/100

Kirlia

(P)(C) Psyshock (20) Flip a coin. If heads, the Defending Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

(P)(C)(C) Link Blast (60) If Kirlia and the Defending Pokémon have a different amount of Energy attached to them, this attack's base damage is 30 instead of 60.

I am currently playing the Sandstorm one. I am not sure which one to use... they all seem to have their high points. For the first one, Removal Beam is a nice attack, but I would probably prefer to do the second one's Psyshock on turn 2. However, Super Psy can be a game winner on turn 2 if my opponent has only 1 Pokémon since I run Boost Energy in my deck. Link Blast is OK... I don't find myself using it very often, though. As for the second one, Life Drain is awesome. One downside that this card has is that it is entirely too "flippy"... all of its attacks rely on a flip and do absolutely nothing if the flip is tails. It seems like it would be safer to use one of the other ones for guaranteed damage, but Life Drain might be able to help a lot. What do you all think is the best Kirlia? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah the 50 damage one is another tool to OHKO Wobuffets. I used to think that the Life Drain one would be so good but you can't get that finishing KO with it since it does no damage. I have needed that more than a flippy life drain.

They all have there situational uses, but most decks do and should run Super Psy. Its ER attack is cool, but its ability to always hit for 50 is what makes it the best.

Although with good flips, it, Life Drain is sweet. KOes the next turn easily once Gardi is up. Without Gardi, the Kirlia cant even KO the opponent though. It either confuses or drains them which I think what balances/kills its usefullness

Yes, definitely the Super Psy one. I'm planning on using one of those decks early next year also and that's what I'm using. Removal Beam is nice in certain situations too.

Super Psy is good. But the Life Drain one can be good as well. Take any of those 120+ HP guys to 10 HP is worth the risk. And the odds are you can get the last 10 damage on them somehow. I mean if you are ever up against Wailord EX, you will be thankful you have life drain.

Oh and I see you are in Orlando FL. Are you going to the FX Show on Jan. 10 and 11? They are having all the Poke Events there and I'll be there for sure.

Last edited:
Venusaur said:
I dont like putting a 70 HP kirlia out there to life drain. Because chances are he'll get koed next turn, so the dead kirlia couldve been a Gardy or Gardy ex, but now its dead. :(

I don't get that. Wouldn't all the Kirlias fall prey to that? I don't see where their ATK would have made a difference.

DUDE never play life drain unless you have poison. Gosh I tried that and could never kill anyone off! They would just retreat and send up something brand new and I would have to flip to not kill them or do nothing that turn. It sucks.

Back