Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Who thinks these pokemon should be banned from the GBA tornaments.

Nah, no way. The way I see it, the Regi's are very easily countered. Being single-typed, they are weak to so many varieties of moves, any super effective move will cut their HP in half, even with their super-good defenses.

Lati@s is harder to decide on. They are weak to Ice, Bug, Ghost, Dragon, and Dark. They are only Immune to Ground (because of their ability). Ice Beam and Shadow Ball are both very oft used TMs. Almost every team has both in there somewhere. If you don't have an Ice Beamer on your team, you probably have bigger problems to worry about any way.

I just have problems with allowing any of the Tier Pokemon into any tournament. Lati@s basically rulz all, if you can get him/her. The Regis are extremely good because they have stats. I don't care what anyone says about typing, that does you no good if the guy you're facing has a stat advantage that great over you. On top of that, there are no Pokemon in the new set that even come CLOSE to the power of the Tier Pokemon. At least in the Color and Metal ages, we had Arcanine and Gyarados as nice stat buffers between the Tiers and everyone else. The starters are above average at best, and, like I said before, there is nothing that comes close to the overall power of the Regis and Lati@s, the Regis being Tier 4, and Lati@s being, I believe, tier 3.

Wouldn't a rule which excluded all "Unique" Pokemon cover that pretty nicely? It would eliminate the most powerful Pokemon across any conceivable format (Mew, Lugia, Suicune, Latios, etc). In addition to being powerful, these Pokemon can be difficult to acquire, and that would also help to even the playing field a little. And, as they are supposed to be unique, it seems strange to allow them to battle each other.

If no one had Latios/Latias and the Regi* at the R/S Challenge I attended, the matches would have been much less predictable. [Read: relying more on smarts and skill than brute force.]

Back