Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why/when did you start?

PkmnManiac

I might have started when Legend Maker came out, but I'm sure there's a lot of veteran (long-time) players here.

Was it the challenges?

Was it for collecting?

Did someone convince you?

I started collecting around 1st-2nd grade because Pokemon was all the rage. Then I quit collecting around the Neo sets until Holon Phantoms. I'd been playing the card game with my nieghbor for a few months and really liked the game. Then I decided to join a league in July of 2006. Then I went to States in 2007. I really liked the tournament scene and now I am very serious about the GAME. I don't really collect. I just try to pwn... :lol:

I started collecting and playing around the Fossil set, right after one of my friends handed out theme decks at his birthday party. I got the Kangaskhan theme deck. I've been playing/trading/collecting ever since. Why? Cuz I'm antisocial.

i started playing when power keepers went out.

it was because Otaku suggested it, when i told him that i was bored out of my mind all the time.

I started playing right when Base 1 came out. Before even Jungle. Back when you played Haymaker, Rain Dance, or Damage Swap, and you liked it. Back when cards were powerful.

I then quit between Gym 1 and Gym 2 because the game was getting boring. Haven't looked back since. I'd occasionally still play but people don't like it when you use multiple Oaks or ERs or SERs on the same turn. They also don't like Blastoise showing up on turn 2 to ruin peoples' fun (I haven't a clue why, as Pokémon cards look stronger these days; it's just Trainers that are weaker).

Heh a verteran player who doesn't actually play....hoodathunkit. I always liked pokemon. For a little while I had a few cards my neighbors gave me here and there but I usually just stuck to the anime. But then my mom wouldn't let my watch it for awhile(back when I was younger) because she thought james' voice was....uh....feminin. Then about when the EX Dragon whatever pack came out(you know the really bad pack where usually your rare was the pichu) we started collecting and battling just me a couple friends and my bros. Then my older bro(metricus) like about two years ago found a league and thats about when I was actually starting to understand the rules. I've been going to a league for like a couple now and I don't forsee leaving it anytime soon.

I originally started when Base came out, but stopped at around Expedition, I think. I got back into it when Deoxys came out, if I remember correctly, because a friend kept trying to get me back into the game, and I have been playing since then.

We started collecting officially when Jungle came out, though we had a few Base 1 cards by that time. However Josh and I never really got started into the game until Gym Challenge came out. He won his first event when Genesis came out and we were pretty well hooked by then. I became a professor when the opportunity came, then a league leader, and the first Master professor in Ontario. Josh, my son became the youngest professor, then youngest Master professor. We've done events for years. Though times have changed, we still keep going with the game.

I started cuz it was very popular in my elementry school when Base Set came out. I'been collecting every since but I've only been playing since Hidden Ledgends came out.

I continued cuz that's where all the hot chicks are. (The Torchics anyway) :tongue: [sarcasm]

Seriously, I keep playing bacause I love collecting all the cards and building rougue decks that takes everyone by surprise.
~Cyber~

Man, no doubt everybody started when Base came out. I remember seeing a few sets, I think they were Gyms, Fossils, and maybe another or two.

I started getting interested when I went to GenCon 2003, and played a demo and picked up a booster for my daughter, which got her started. She collected for a while, and I have fairly recently started collecting my own cards.

I've been playing the game since day one. The craze came westward and I got caught up in it. There wasn't really a "why", except that I liked the Gameboy game and thought I'd give the cards a try. Been hooked for nine years.

Hmm ... I both play and collect, so sue me :biggrin:

Started collecting: 1999 when Jungle came out
Started playing: 2000 when I found out about Leagues and stuff, played until mid-2003 when the rights were handed back to Nintendo (too much uncertainty, etc. ... and there was university)
Resumed playing: Feb 2007 when Power Keepers came out (bad timing lol) due to morbid curiosity, ended up running a League a few months later

Reason: ... because it is fun and less stressful as Magic? (I am not saying Magic isn't fun, but there are times where players can go too far :lol: )

My brother and I started playing when Base set came out, but we both stopped after a few months. About two years ago, my brother's best friend found an old Japanese Magneton card and asked if we still played the game (he was joking around). From this we started playing again for fun, then found out about tournaments and started attendinfg. I still have the Magneton card with me. : )

I have been playing the game since the game first came out. I've been playing competitively since the first STS Qualifiers became available up until about last year. I still play for fun a little bit at League. I got into the game because I loved to meet new people, travel, and I was very competitive. I tried so very hard to do as well as the best players in the local area and upwards over time.

I loved playing the game when the game belonged to a simpler time, especially when strategy reigned supreme. Now everyone's always stressing out either about the next set, why or why not prizes/invites are a certain way, crying over format changes, etc. I actually liked being surprised by what the future set held as I opened the packs. I've played and won enough titles and events that I really do not need to compete much anymore, I should be playing in a couple Cities, probably one or two States, and Regionals. After that, I might be at Nationals and Worlds, but after that I will be done for good.

You know you bring up a great point about why you started/began. However, there also comes a time when you have to know when your time is up. I'm not happy about having to stop playing competitively, but due to health reasons, it is something that has to be done.

My advice to new players is to not be discouraged initially, but stick with it, you'll learn the ropes in no time. Also, try to not too caught up in the stress of the tournament environment, and finally, remain creative. You'll find the game to be much more fun when you win and win big with your own decks instead of worrying about metagaming and copying from your friends or the Internet.

Good luck,

~Jim

A long time ago, in a lifetime far, far away, my fiance, then husband and I played Magic. We bought some Base set decks to check out this new Pokemon thing. We liked it but not enough to leave Magic for it.

Fast forward to 3 years ago when we now have 2 young boys and haven't had much gaming time in years. My oldest then in 1st grade started asking for some Pokemon cards because many of his friends were starting to have binders which they received from older brothers or cousins during Spring cleaning of the closets. Being the overprotective mother that I am and a gamer, I bought 2 decks to check it out. Nothing worrisome - kid-friendly art, no blood and guts, etc, - so we learned to play with the rulebook and we were hooked! My son and soon his brother became absolute Pokemon fanatics and we loved that the cards were encouraging them to read and aiding in practicing math. Around Deoxys we found a league and then prereleases and finally premier events. It is a huge family affair now and I don't regret it one bit.

Back