Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Will Scizor MD Be A Good Tech?

AnimeDDR110

Scizor LV.42 – Steel – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Scyther

[M] Special Blow: 30 damage. If the Defending Pokemon has any Special Energy cards attached, this attack does an additional 50 damage.
[M][C][C] X-scissor: 50 damage. Flip a coin, if heads this attack does an additional 40 damage.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1

I for one, think it is a great tech. Its first attack for 1 [M] energy can do 30 damage, which is impressive, but 80 damage if your opponent has any Special energy cards attached. That is very good. Your sure to do a possible 80 damage if your battling a G&G or Magmortar deck. Its second attack is also good, it allows you to do a possible 90 damage, if your a lucky coin flipper, for 3 energy. It can also counter Glaceon if your opponent doesn't have an umbreon in play for them.

So what do you think?

It would be everywhere, if it didn't have that :metal: energy requirement. As it stands now, it might see some play here and there, but it ain't the best tech. Weakness to Fire isn't all too favorable, the fact that it'll need either DRE or Multi NRG isn't the best way to use it either.
Metal decks however should always pack at least 2 of these.

eh... waste of a DRE. maybe if it wasnt metal, it would see more play, as only ice types have metal weakness (glaceon isnt really all that great). Good in an anti special energy deck, i guess...

Hm, to me this looks like a great card. The resistance is great, HP is ok for a stage 1, retreat isn't bad, first attack looks excellent - even if you don't run metal energy in your deck, a metal or multi can be teched in. Overall it looks good.

Good card, but it I can't see it fitting into most deck lists. Perhaps GG will run it to counter Glaceons.
IDK how people are going to use this.

I guess you could even run a 4-4 of it with some big wall or something.

It's far more likely that people will play it because of GG. Though, it has a lot of potential, I can however, see it losing to a lot of rogue decks.

The first attack...sure, almost every gallade will play spec energies, but will they be dumb enough to put spec energy on their pokemons after you make the initial surprise attack? 80 damage doesn't even KO a gallade/gardy/mag.

If only the first attack discarded the energy, then IMO it would be much better. I don't really see much point in running it right now....

^That is a judgement based on virtualy nothing.
A chance to do 80 damage for 1 frickin' energy. HELLO. Not a single Stage 1 can do that.
Just because it does not discard the Special Energy does not mean it can KO the Pokemon that it is attached to!?

A chance to do 80 damage for 1 frickin' energy. HELLO. Not a single Stage 1 can do that.
Just because it does not discard the Special Energy does not mean it can KO the Pokemon that it is attached to!?

Actually, yes. Stage 2 pokemon don't have 80 HP. Most pokemon who have special energies have about 110 HP or higher.

...Say... What's 110 damage -80...?
Sure, while Scizor can do quick and cheep damage... It requires a special energy to be attached, which is predictable if your opponent sees the Scizor or Scyther. That quick damage's predictability stops it from working on basic pokemon, and its use against stage 1s is questionable (No Banette uses scramble, for example). That just leaves stage 2 pokemon as main targets, which we know it can't OHKO because none of them that see play have low enough HP. A 2hit KO might be nice, but forcing a discard of the special energy would be nicer (because that slows the opponent down, which you'd need due to having to 2 shot) :/

Good first attack, bad second attack. Decent HP, bad weakness, good resistance, decent retreat.

Not sure how I feel about the card. I'd just hate to run a scizor deck then face a magmortar or skittles.

At this moment, a tech only. Anything more than that is unpractical unless some big metal deck comes out.

In the next two sets though, expect it to truly shine with Magnezone/Heatran etc.

You know, I don't really feel like further explaining this, but I guess I will. OK. 1)The energy requirement is metal and it will be a little harder to attack. 2) 80 damage MIGHT OHKO a stage 1, but not a stage 2. 80 damage may be a lot, but it isn't ridiculous. 3) All I have to do is power up a pokemon with no special enrgy on it after I see Scizor hit the board, and I'm good to go. 4) If it would discard the energy, it would help soooo much more against match ups such as G&G.

Back