Will you play Pokemon Reversal?

Discussion in 'Cards: Strategy and Rulings Discussion' started by Daddiursa, Apr 20, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
  1. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Now that the ruling is final, and this card should be played with the Expedition card wording, I wonder if people think it will be playable. I haven't seen it in one single deck I can remember, but maybe that was due to the uncertainity of the ruling. I dunno.

From the compendium:

Q. The wording on the "Pokemon Reversal" trainer changed significantly between the Expedition version and the EX:Ruby/Sapphire version. How should we play this card? Do we play each one "as written", or should we play them all the way the latest (or older) version of the card says?

A. It should read like the Expedition version, with a slight tweak to make it 2-on-2 applicable. "Choose 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokemon. Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent switches that Pokemon with 1 of his or her Defending Pokemon." The opponent chooses the defending, but the person playing the card chooses the benched. (Apr 8, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

Hope this topic isn't too "plowed thru" yet...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2004
  2. Wren5

Wren5 New Member

Yeah. Hardly anyone plays 2v2. Plus it's real use is to choose which target you want, which you still get to do. Otherwise you can just play warp point.

3. mozartrules

mozartrules New Member

I don't think it is worth playing (particularly not in my deck that has Cradily).

4. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

Well, could be useful for those who play against you... to loosen the grip.

I think it's not useful in decks with Rayquaza ex and Blaziken ex 4 obvious reasons (Ray needs to warp away if no Amphy is there, & Bex chooses himself who to hit).

But to bring up a non-fueled pokemon and start hitting on it, must be useful in certain decks?

5. Pidgeotto Trainer

Pidgeotto Trainer New Member

Its taking longer than I thought for people to realize its brokeness....
    Every deck can use them, how is it not a standard yet?

6. MetallicKingScizor

MetallicKingScizor New Member

i agree with pidgeotto, its a gust of wind--basically:

*points at Gardy EX* YOU COME HERE *flips tails with Pokemon Reversal #1* GEEZ *tries with #2* YES YOU COME HERE! *then it gets squished by another Gardy EX*

*ahem* Anyway I think you get my point, I dont think itll be long before Pokemon Reversal gets placed next to the Dunsparces and Wobbuffetts when building a deck.

-King Sciz

7. davechri

davechri New Member

I love Pokemon Reversal. Sure, it's a flip, but when it works it's awesome.

8. Imperial

Imperial New Member

9. I'll definately use a few. This makes speed a LOT more viable. Powerful evolutions don't mean a thing if you don't have the basics to play them on. Granted such a statement is hopeful, and overestimating Pokemon Reversal a bit, but it DOES open up a lot more speed based deck opportunities.

10. dkates

dkates New Member

I agree with MHZ. I just added some Pokémon Reversals to my latest deck. No playtesting results yet, but I have a feeling it'll help out.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Flips are still too imporant, kiddies! Otherwise, everybody would be running Super Scoop Ups as well.

Pokemon Reversal will see play, but not as a format-breaking card like Blaziken ex. I expect the decks that need gust the most will run it, but otherwise, no.

12. Mr. Grass

Mr. Grass New Member

I dunno, Patriarch. The thing about Super Scoop Up is that we have a better option in Mr. Briney's Compassion. And it is true that flips are important, but take a look at one of the most popular flippy cards ever: Focus Band. It's an incredibly flippy card, but it can change the course of the game, as can Pokemon Reverse.

And sure, it's not going to be a format breaking card, but then again most of the times we don't see trainers as the deck type. The archtypes are Haymaker, Gatr, BlazeEX, not Computer Search, Elm, Copycat. (okay, Trapper is an exception). It's just a support card. And I think it's a card that is going to see play in a lot of decks with the new ruling.

13. bullados

bullados <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?

It *might* see some play, but I haven't seen it yet. At the Chicago States last weekend, I did not see a single Reversal being played. I also have no plans of putting it into my current deck (which doesn't even have the room for Switch) also because I am the single most unlucky person in the world with coin flips (say, 6 tails with Sneasel 3 times in a row).

14. HYPER EEVEE

HYPER EEVEE Iron Chef - Master Emeritus

Of course i use I use but why dont yu guys yeah it is a flip, but no one can not tell me that socus band did not come in handy and even help you win games right?

15. BJJ763

BJJ763 Trading Mod Supervisor Staff Member Trader Feedback Mod

You really cannot compare Focus Band to Pokémon Reversal. FB was played to negate the outcome of an attack, preventing your opponent from drawing a prize. Reversal is more of a get that Benched Pokémon to the Active position, presumably to KO it. FB played usually right away. Reversal played only when you can KO the Benched (or get something out that has a huge Retreat cost (but Switch negates this usage)). Failed FB - your opponent draws a prize which they would have drawn anyway. Failed Reversal - the Active you so desperately wanted Benched, or vice versa, stays where it is, so looks like whatever desperate plan you had just went down the tubes.
    Many decks do not have room for 2 X Reversals, let alone 4.

16. NoPoke

NoPoke Active Member

Pokemon reversal is a very good heads and a poor tails for the player. It will improve many decks that have space for 4. If matchplay becomes the norm then PR may even become a staple in decks that aren't already packed tight.

Reversal is not as strong as Focus band. That card caused your opponent grief the moment it was played. It made all forward planning by the opponent dependant upon the outcome of the FB flip. I'm glad that FB is gone it really was the worst of flippy-mon in a single card.

If PR doesn't disrupt the environment we might even get Gust of Wind Back??? er maybe not!

17. HYPER EEVEE

I think its better in eon than focus band is in neon. The reason is you may be ready to knock an ex, but its on the bench warp wont do it because there is three guys on the bench, but this allows one flip two prizes. As for focus band one flip the opponent does not gain a prize. Comparing between formats is hard but i really think that in their respective formats pokemon reversal is just as good if not better that focus band.

18. MetallicKingScizor

MetallicKingScizor New Member

regardless FB and PR has its weaknesses and always will

FB can be stopped by Elekid(the one with playful punch)
    and PR can just be flipped tails

yes, FB was agood card but even if it was nobody uses it now due to e-on
    and PR ive only seen used in fun decks such as a Dragonite EX deck that uses PR to switch my Delcatty(energy draw) and drop it in one shot

its your opinion to use PR it can get you an easy kill, or can be a waste of space in your deck

the decision is yours

19. Daddiursa

Daddiursa New Member

I just found this in William Hungs CA States Report:

Perheps it might take the step up from fun decks, as I'm sure this bitter experience was no fun for William...

20. HYPER EEVEE

hey i really think that especially if you put a certain pokemon to kill another (example ditto for ray) its a must, but a deck with ray you can ko anything before its ready (example any ex).