Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wisconsin Dells, Regional Report

TSDMage

Hello, everyone. I’m reporting my decent but not impressive Regionals Report, mainly because it was a fun day, and also very unusual.

I was running Arithmetic. I had tested the deck with all my friends and testing partners (most of which who ran it, in which 2 made top 16, and one just missed top 16. Sorry, John) for seemingly ages and went back and forth on the decklist and tech, I decided to keep it almost standard. I eliminated some key things because they just didn’t work out for me, which ended up being my downfall. Turned out I played the deck well (I play terribly casually but in tourneys I actually play fairly well) and it seemed that since I did, those cards I let go of (a 1-1 line of an originally placed 2-2 Cresselia line and some Energy Switch, maybe Jolteon*) would have won me some games. Ah, well. Live and learn. Anyways, here’s the report.

Round 1: Swampert ex

A deck I hadn’t seen since my return to the game early this year. Cacturne for damage counters, Omastar for devolving, etc. It was an interesting deck and it had me on the ropes for the first few turns. But somehow I outplayed him the whole game. I feel good I did well since once he fell behind 5-2 he began rushing me when I wasn’t even slow playing. Anyways, Gyrados took care of a couple Mudkips and whatnot. Let me say I’m SO glad I played 3 Warp Points. They and Cresselia Lv. X won me the game. I spread damage around too quick and Warps forced his weakest guys out for me to knock out. I didn’t even have to bother with Swampert ex.

1-0

Round 2: Oh, jeez…

It took courage to write up this report simply for this. This was the deciding game of the event for me. I’ll say that I lost right away and say it was single-handedly the most embarrassing loss I’ve ever taken in 5+ years of playing this game. How my opponent was 1-0 I have no idea, but his deck was nothing more than a Darkrai and Magmortar starter deck slapped together and a few random cards. How did I lose? Worst draws EVER. I start with Magikarp, he starts Houndour and goes first. Ouch. I get no Gyrados. I Pokenav for a Shuppet and bench it. Karp is knocked out after I flail (yes, I attached. TVR, Banette, and DRE in hand). Next turn I discard Banette and knock out Houndour. From here I get owned by 2 Cacneas, LOL. I’m poisoned and can do nothing but knock out one Cacnea then do a measly 30 per turn. I TVR’d three times, drawing no basics. I Dusk Ball TWICE with NO Pokes. My Banette is at 70 while poisoned and I take the most pitiful turn in Pokemon history. I have THIRTEEN CARDS IN MY HAND and I used Copycat for TWO. That’s how bad my hand was. I NEED BASICS! I get TVR and Pokenav. I use Pokenav and reveal a Dusk Ball, Holon Mentor, and another Pokenav. “Good game sir.” What else can I do? But jeez, how embarrassing…

1-1. UGH.

Game 3: Blisskrai

My opponent starts with lone Chansey. I start with prototypical Shuppet/Banette. Do 80 to Chansey on T2. He benches Darkrai. I bench a Karp. He evolves to Blissey and knocks out Banette with Boost and modifiers. I bring in Karp, evolve Gyrados and pass. He does a good amount of damage to Gyrados. I Flail to knock out. He brings in Darkrai, lays Lv. X, plays an energy and Pluspower and attacks for Darkness Roar, which is nowhere near killing it, but just enough for me to flail for game. I am puzzled by the play, but I thank him and proceed for knockout. He didn’t have many other options, but he could have lasted another turn. Oh, well.

2-1

Game 4: Swampert/Palkia

Wow. What a devastating deck. Since he set up quicker than me, I feel behind in options. His board by T7 was one of the most ridiculous I’d ever seen. 2 Swaperts (GE), a Palkia Lv. X, and a Mantyke/Mantine, and 2 Holon Castform on a Swampert. WHAT am I supposed to do against that? I made a weird misplay but it didn’t do much. GG. I am so gracious to my opponent though, because I was really nervous during the game. I was clumsy and messed up a lot, and he dealth with it and never called a judge and I am truly graetful for that. LOL, I was dropping cards when trying to Claydol, taking extra long turns (thinking, not slow playing), and I shuffled two cards back in the deck after playing Pokenav, where I shook my head and said I was going to play Copycat anyway, and he let it slide. Not enough forgiving people like that playing.

2-2

Game 5: Magmortar

This is one deck I’d been prepared for, obviously. My opponent was a nice older lady I had faced at Cities in Chicago. I won there only because she was inexperienced and not too adept. She was far better this time around. She had a back row Magmar. I can’t remember what her starter was, but it didn’t hurt me much. I started slow so I tried setting up a Gyrados for her Magmortar which she dropped onto her Magmar. The game was back and forth, and Cresselia kept me in it, but the worst thing happened after I wagered. I wagered when she had Mag Lv. X which saved me. Next turn I Gyrados to knock out her starter. She plays Quick Ball. I’m thinking, “Well, as long as she doesn’t pull the X I’ve got this game.” Guess what she pulls? She Flame Busters my Cresselia and leaves my Gyrados with only enough to put Lv. X at 20 HP. Next turn she Scrambles and knocks it out. Nothing I can do from here. Just a bit of bad luck was all. Oh, well.

2-3.

Game 6: Blaziken

Was a typical Firetruck looking deck based on Blaziken and not Mortar. TERRIBLE starts for both of us. We both don’t draw good until around T4, where I set up a Cresselia vs. his Pachi (he had no energies for a while). I set up Cress with 2 energies and have Lv. X in hand and had the ability to take 2 prizes for about 3 turns if I’d had an energy. I Level up to empty my hand for Claydol (and still don’t draw energy), revealing my plot. Somehow, he chances it and leaves Pachi in since he had nothing but Torchics at this point. I get an energy and take 2 prizes. He starts drawing and pulls some Blazes and the game gets good. I admit I was slow playing a bit through the first 15 minutes or so. So finally it comes down to possible game. I have 1 prize and my opponent has 4. I have a Gyrados on bench with 80 on it which is fully loaded, a Magikarp on bench with a Gyrados in my hand. I got this game. Then, he makes the best move I’ve ever seen. He Firestarts one energy to a Blaziken. He attaches. He uses Warp point. Ouch. I put my Cresselia out for sacrifice. He then proceeds to Absol ex 30 from my Gyrados to my karp, kills my karp, and does 80 to my Gyrados. I’m stunned. I can make NO recovery at this point since I have only shuppets and both Karps are gone with my lone Maintenance in my discard pile (I discarded it for TVR early game when my hand was ****, a move I’ll probably never make again). But the Judge calls for time right after I draw and I win. I felt SO bad for the guy because he earned the win with such an amazing move and was GOING to win, so I give a firm handshake and give the guy props. Wow, I’m so bad.

3-3

Round 7: Blisskrai

Okay, call me a sentimental idiot, but I had a lot of stuff on my mind this day, including the fact that my mother’s death was exactly one year ago to the day of this regionals, and she was previously a Pokemon player and supported my playing very much, and I wanted to at least do moderate, simply for her, so this last game was important. So anyway, Blisskrai. It starts bad because of his Darkrai being set up so quick (no Weaviles thank God). In fact, the game could have ended T1 since I started with Karp, and his Sneasel had a special Dark for Doubleslap. One coin I is tails, I live, and next turn set up Gyrados. I Warped Gyrados out of there and used Banettes to slowly take down Darkrai. He uses Wigglytuff and a Stadium to keep him awake and me asleep. But I flip Heads, and from there I have 2 Warps and 1 Switch in my hand so my Gyrados does all the work and wins this one.

4-3

So at least I played pretty well and didn’t 3-4 as opposed to going plus. It was fun, and I look forward to playing another event after further strengthening the deck (hopefully I’ll somehow get to Nats).

Props:
Jimmy (as always)
Flint, Kevin, and all the guys who were cool to me and helped me test.
John Sexton for filming the funniest video ever (don’t ask).
Mr. Lucas for being funny.
The Elite guys for being nice and not arrogant *******es like most elite card players.

Slops:
Ness and Flint for having the longest sudden death extension I’ve ever seen.
Starter decks. UGH.
Lucksacking Magmortars!
G&G for not being played against me ONCE (I WANTED to play against that stupid deck!)
Kinda rude PTO.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
Round 1: Swampert ex
It was an interesting deck and it had me on the ropes for the first few turns. But somehow I outplayed him the whole game.

1.Ok my opening hand was cacnea, x2 cacturne, x2 fossil, mudkip, omastar...lol

2.Rolling a heads to get my only water on my swamppy to force me to stall more and give you 2 prizes isn't skill, as was rolling 3 heads on enrage discarding multi, candy, and a swampert in hand to have me furthermore delay swampert. If any one of those flips were tails I can tell you now I would've had the game.I wasn't outplayed...

2.Rolling a heads to get my only water on my swamppy to force me to stall more and give you 2 prizes isn't skill, as was rolling 3 heads on enrage discarding multi, candy, and a swampert in hand to have me furthermore delay swampert. If any one of those flips were tails I can tell you now I would've had the game.I wasn't outplayed...

Hey, it's okay. Don't discredit me. I didn't do that to you. I was honestly impressed with you and your deck. And I'm not saying everything I did was skill, but luck is a huge factor in the game. Rolling 3 consecutive heads is no rarity. If I was bitter about every time I've rolled a tails, I would've killed myself by now, lol. I managed to make the right moves (more than I can say sometimes) and think carefully enough to win that game. It's not as if you gave it to me. And it was a good match. I just managed to take advantage of my good fortune and make the right moves from there, just like most games. I think you were just a little too irritated by the way the game was going.

Man, just don't sweat it. Being bitter about luck going wrong could easily make all Pokemon players bitter. It's a part of the game. It's working with what you have. In all honesty, after you got set up and started damaging my bench, I didn't think I was going to win. I just managed to pull it out.

Hey man, good job! Great Report also!
Sorry about that long sudden death match in the slops column tho...lol

Thanks, Flint. Hopefully I'll have a little more success and do better next time now that I'm comfortable with a better list.

Sorry if you took it offensively I just kinda read into the sentences I quoted.:s Gj though and I hope to see you at br's.

Sorry if you took it offensively I just kinda read into the sentences I quoted.:s Gj though and I hope to see you at br's.

It's cool. It's possible I put down some things that are false, I have a terrible memory. Just put it down to the best of what I could remember. BTW, how high up did you get in the standings?

You, too. We'll see what happens.

I saw the whole game Wood, you got supremely outplayed, sorry.

Great job man, you gave it a good run, that game between you and Metro was excellent. oh and Fantine is my sister, I figured out who you were, a bit confused at first. Tough luck not facing any GG, its so easy to beat if the players name isnt Jason.

I saw the whole game Wood, you got supremely outplayed, sorry.

Great job man, you gave it a good run, that game between you and Metro was excellent. oh and Fantine is my sister, I figured out who you were, a bit confused at first. Tough luck not facing any GG, its so easy to beat if the players name isnt Jason.

You were watching? Wow, I must have been more focused than I thought, I never noticed anyone nearby us.

Thank you. And ****, although I know most of the good players, I'm still not familiar with some people. Which guy was Metro?

You were watching? Wow, I must have been more focused than I thought, I never noticed anyone nearby us.

Thank you. And ****, although I know most of the good players, I'm still not familiar with some people. Which guy was Metro?

Tim Metro was the guy who ran the Palkia deck. Lol I didnt really watch the match.

Takes out notepad and marks down player who admits to intentionally slowplaying.

Puts away notepad.:cool:

Vince

LOL. Well, I was winning by, I think a prize, and heard "15 minutes left," so I just took a little more time and calmed down. I didn't take forever though, especially since he was getting back into the game at that point.

Tim Metro was the guy who ran the Palkia deck. Lol I didnt really watch the match.

Oh, well if if me getting my butt kicked was a great game... lol. Not as much as that, but I was very nervous during that game. I did so many stupid and clumsy things. I also made a horrendous misplay. I don't think I would have won at all even if I hadn't, but wow, it was a bad one.

Hey I'm the guy who played the swampert deck and I just wanna say thanks for the kind words, also I agree people should be alot nicer in pokemon I played against some j\erky people......And last year at nationals I mean forget about it, people if It's not fun for you to play don't and save us the head ache.... But it was great playing you and I hope to get to play you again... Have a good one

Hey I'm the guy who played the swampert deck and I just wanna say thanks for the kind words, also I agree people should be alot nicer in pokemon I played against some j\erky people......And last year at nationals I mean forget about it, people if It's not fun for you to play don't and save us the head ache.... But it was great playing you and I hope to get to play you again... Have a good one

Thanks, I'll have to look into the future tourneys. I'm gonna be bored waiting for Nats (and even more the rest of the year if I can't make it there).

Tim Metro?

Unfortunatley he isnt on very much. I wish he was on more. Glad to hear all of you guys had a good time. I wish the venue would have provided a better environment, but I guess thats a chance you take sometimes. TSD Mage, I believe you are the young man who said some very kind words to me during the top cut matches. If I am right, I would again like to thank you for those words. Its great to hear from guys like you, Kevin, Unknown 111, and all the others here that the work that we put into this event served the players well. Considering the limited staff we had because of all the Regs being on the same day, I thought it went well.

Thanks again to all of you who attended. Great to see all of my old friends and to make so many new ones. You guys are what makes all the hard work worth it. Hope to see you all at the next event.

Troy:thumb:

Back