Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

With 2 in CA, how does Regionals work for locations ?

Robbgobb

I am just curious because my wife asked me and I could not answer her why there are 2 regionals in CA and not anywhere else. It was not a question that I could even think how such a thing could work so thought here would be a good place to ask.

Someone like Chad "Scizor" H. or a POP person could answer this better, but I'll supply a possible one, since I'm always discussing this with other people:

The reason why California has two regionals is most likely because of population, the size/potential size of player base, distance, and lack of available regionals on the West Coast.

#1: Everyone knows how heavily populated California is these days a gold mine of Pokemon players.

#2: California States have consistently had much higher attendance than any other area of the U.S., and Washington has very high numbers, as well. So naturally it makes a little sense for a regional to be placed in Nevada or North California.

#3: California is worse than Florida when it comes to tourney distances. There are few areas of the country (other than Wyoming, etc...hehe) where you can drive ten straight hours, yet not be anywhere near a regional, and California is one such area.

#4: Like I said, lots of people live near the Pacific; yet it's a geographically giant region, so distance is a pain for players. Meanwhile, most people on the East Coast have no problem at all getting to a regional if they dedicate 5-6 hours of driving. Having a Sierra Nevada Regional balances this out.

But How big can Game Kastle be? Not much bigger than the average store is it? And whats with the K in the spelling? I know people from Santa Clara know how to spell Castle.

The spelling is weird :p The store is huge btw, there's also a warehouse area, it can easily hold 100++.

Someone like Chad "Scizor" H. or a POP person could answer this better, but I'll supply a possible one, since I'm always discussing this with other people:

The reason why California has two regionals is most likely because of population, the size/potential size of player base, distance, and lack of available regionals on the West Coast.

#1: Everyone knows how heavily populated California is these days a gold mine of Pokemon players.

#2: California States have consistently had much higher attendance than any other area of the U.S., and Washington has very high numbers, as well. So naturally it makes a little sense for a regional to be placed in Nevada or North California.

#3: California is worse than Florida when it comes to tourney distances. There are few areas of the country (other than Wyoming, etc...hehe) where you can drive ten straight hours, yet not be anywhere near a regional, and California is one such area.

#4: Like I said, lots of people live near the Pacific; yet it's a geographically giant region, so distance is a pain for players. Meanwhile, most people on the East Coast have no problem at all getting to a regional if they dedicate 5-6 hours of driving. Having a Sierra Nevada Regional balances this out.

That maybe true about them having large numbers in states but I believe last years in Houston had the largest attendance.

Isn't the majority of Texas' playing population within a reasonable distance? The San Francisco Bay Area and San Diego are 7-8 hours apart in California.

Yes, Texas people may be mostly closer than that but then the Oklahoma players don't have that option and most don't like the distance to Houston. It is a distance for them to reach another playing area wherever it is.

This is not including that we have players in Texas that make that long of distance driving to such an event. I appreciate anyone that is not official giving replies but was hoping for a reply from someone official might answer here for anyone else wondering as well. I know a number of people who could bring up that an area has 7+ hour drive to get to nearest Regional I am sure. I don't understand Regionals when there are dead spaces in the spacing. I can't explain that to my wife and can understand her confustion by such a thing when we have to pay extra money for attending if we wish the Junior player we have to be properly rested for the tournament by driving down the day before so he can get a full nights rest before being at a tournament that will likely be 10+ hours. I am just lucky enough to have a wife that is willing to do it so that a kid can play in a game that he loves to be part of (unless you ask him about ratings :) ).

Last edited:
CA also has the most players in the United States. While I do like Texas and I believe it should recieve another Regional close, it also seems to recieve considerably more Cities and Battle Roads.

This was simply a case of "the squeeky wheels getting the oil".

As I have read somewhere before....

The Truth is out there....

Jimmy

Back