World Championship Info is Up !!!

Discussion in 'TCG News & Gossip Discussion' started by Feraligatr, Mar 15, 2004.

8 league13 468 60
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feraligatr

Feraligatr New Member

2. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

I think I'll move this over to TCG News...*whoosh*

'mom

3. mysterioustrainer

mysterioustrainer New Member

This is too cool news and the prizes rock! I am also glad to see that there is a grinder event at Worlds itself

One question... do you think you will have to have a entry pass into one of the DW parks in order to get the world championship area.

4. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Oh my God... Those prizes are insane...

Nintendo is putting a TON of money into this, giving away all those scholarships and trips...

Not to mention the invites system is excellent, the invites get bumped down, so there actually will be ~45 players from the US invited, I cannot wait for this...

5. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

WOW WOW WOW!

Can't wait to be at this event! This is going to SIMPLY RULE!

Let all the other card games eat their hearts out! POKEMON RULZ!

M45

6. TheAnswer3

TheAnswer3 New Member

Wow those prizes are incredible, those scholarships might just explain why i play pokemon to my parents:)

Cant wait till those Gym Challenges!!!
    tA

7. Gym Leader Blaine

Gym Leader Blaine <a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/member.php?u=15

This is pretty cool what they have put together for the tournament. Very nice indead. Maybe I need to get me a invite to play.

Also that they are bumping the invite and trip to the next player if one has already won one.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  8. ToysRUsKid

ToysRUsKid Active Member

Those prizes are REALLY nice, Nice thing to convince parents now :D .. That Scholarship $$$$ will really help me since im gonna be starting college this fall :D... Nintendo is really putting a lot of money into this, and people will be glad :D

9. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze New Member

These prizes may just be enough to choose Pokemon Worlds over a trip to GenCon. Thanks Nintendo those are great!! :D

10. meganium45

meganium45 Active Member

I just added it up, over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS in scholarship money!!!

Just what a 32 year old player needs!!! LOL - just kidding - I hope I can use it for my kids!

Let's see ANY other game match that!!!

M45

11. TrEkIeV

TrEkIeV New Member

Invitations go to the top 16...does that mean a free trip to Worlds for those people too? Also top 16 in what(modified,limited, unlimited)? And top 16 in what(world, country)?

12. Misdreavus

Misdreavus Member

Whoa... that's awesome! I definitely hope I can make it there! One thing, though... what is the "last chance qualifier" (welll... I can basically tell what it is, but I'd like more info on it if possible)?

13. GOROY

GOROY New Member

My parents will definately start liking pokemon even more now!

14. SD PokeMom

SD PokeMom Mod Supervisor Staff Member

The 'last chance qualifier' is probably the same as the grinder tourney the day before Worlds 2002: single elimination, run in age groups. The top X number of players get to enter the Worlds tourney the next day.

'mom

15. Monkey

Monkey <a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p

YAY!!! Scholarships and trips!!!! :D

16. WeileMom

WeileMom New Member

From reading the rules it appears that they will be allowing sets from Expedition on at least until after Worlds. Good News!
    ---Nicole
    WeileMom

17. Prof Donphan

Prof Donphan Member

Copy and paste
    The World Championships Invitational structure is:
    Top player from each age group at Pokémon TCG Gym Challenges
    Top four players from each age group at Pokémon TCG Stadium Challenges
    Top four players from each age group at the Pokémon TCG National Championships
    Top sixteen ranked players in the Pokémon Organized Play rankings database as of July 20th, 2004.
    Last chance tournament on Friday, August 20th at Disney World, Orlando.
    Winners from the last World Championship event will receive automatic invites to the next World Championships.

Is the same thing for players outside USA?

18. GymLeaderPhil

GymLeaderPhil New Member

Nope. Placing the Worlds Championships in one of the parks is costly. Epcot does have some meeting space, but again the issue of cost, special WDW transportation into Epcot's backlot area, and limited space arises when you consider that. Nobody in their right mind would hold any event in one of the parks, it costs around 45 bucks for a one day ticket into the theme park itself for non-invitees. That would result in limited press, staff, and attendees in side events.

More than likely, Worlds will be held in the Wyndam Hotel itself. There is quite enough space for such an event. If not, there are several other larger convention spaces in WDW hotels, as well as the Wide World of Sports complex which housed the Magic The Gathering JSS Champs/US Nationals in 2002.

Regarding the theme parks, I just hope that PUI includes three-four day tickets to the theme parks for all of the invitees. Walt Disney World is a blast, especially when you have a multiday ticket to go hop from one park to the next. And I have to say that I've been riding with some of the most friendliest Monorail and bus drivers on the WDW resort, one bus guy who even went out of his way to drop us off at the correct place when we got on the wrong bus. It's going to be awesome. :D
    -Phil

19. Bigpoppabeatdown

Bigpoppabeatdown New Member

honestly, all that is great, but the thing that makes it all worthwhile is the SCHOLARSHIPS

being in college, i'll take any scholarship in a heartbeat.......

money, money, money...

btw, have they estimated how many people will receive invites?? just curious as to how many people will actually be playing....

20. TheDeuce

TheDeuce New Member

Well, you can kinda figure it out somewhat...

Top 16 in United States POP ranking ---- 16 players
    Top 4 in each age @ Nationals ---------- 12 players
    Top 4 in each age @ Stadiums ---------- 36 players (assuming there's 3)
    Top 1 in each age @ Gyms -------------- 30 players (assuming there's 10)
    Each Reigning World Champion ----------- 2 players

Total: 96 players (not to mention however many from the grinder...)

Of course, this is assuming the amount of Gym/Stadium Challenges there will be, and I assume there'll be at least 3 Stadiums and 10 Gyms, and since the invites/trips do get "bumped" to the next eligible player, all of the trips will go different people.

Also, note that this is just the US, there'll probably be something similar for all participating countries, so expect a decent sized tourney.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.