Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Report: Bad Luck FTL!

shiftrymaster68

I get there on Thursday, meet up with my Texas buddies (Austin, Steven, Cameron, Johnny, Jason, and others). My parents just feel like staying at the hotel, so I'm forced to stay with until I'm starved and we go out to eat ridiculously overpriced food (good thing it's my parents paying), and we go out and swim for a while. Next day, my parents feel like actually leaving the hotel room, so I pre-register for Worlds, meet up with Austin and Steven, wish Austin GL at the Grinder and me and Steven go off and explore the hotel and hang out for most of the day, going back to the convention center to check how things are going periodically. I sya bye to Steven and have dinner with my family, which ends up being like the worst experience EVER. When we get back it's 11:00, so we go back to the room and find out Austin made the grinder! I get a good night's sleep after testing like mad with Spread and deciding it's the play. I settle with this list...

26 Pokemon
3 Mew ex LM
4 Eevee DS
3 Jolteon ex DS
1 Vaporeon ex DS
1 Umbreon ex DS
3 Absol ex
2 Lickitung d
1 Rayquaza ex d
1 Jirachi ex CG
1 Lunatone LM
1 Solrock LM
1 Lapras LM
1 Jolteon*
1 Holon's Castform
1 Holon's Voltorb
1 Holon's Electrode

11 Energy
4 Multi
4 Psychic
3 Lightning

23 Trainers
4 SSU
4 Holon Trans.
3 Holon Mentor
3 Windstorm
3 Prof. Elm's Training Method
2 Mary's Request
2 Giant Stump
1 Holon Adventurer
1 Holon Scientist

I get up, go down to the convention center after having hot choclate and a muffin for breakfast. I get 2 Mew ex LMs from Johnny, and hang out with Austin, Steven, and Jason until we sit down and the opening ceremony's finished. Steven's playing Kingdra Swarm, Austin's playing a Spread list very close to mine, Breton's playing Mario, and Jason's playing R-Gon. Round 1 begins....(BTW, I'm terrible with names)

Round 1: Guy from...(Belgium)(Shiftry ex CG/Eevees)
I setup with Mew ex sniping with Ray and playing around Shiftry carefully. I play my Scoops smartly, and eventually get to keeping him off-balance with Ray and sniping a Jolteon ex FTW. GG, sir. 1-0

I'm happy, except I find out that Austin lost, but Steven won, so I get ready for Round 2...

Round 2: Tad Wheeler (U.S.)(Delta w/ Licki d)
I get a Mew ex start again, Mentor for Eevee, Lapras, and Licki d, and Delta Mind one of his Eggs Jrs. He evolves the damaged Eggs, Mentors for 2 Pika and another Eggs Jr., and DD's for 5. I attach Castform to Mew ex, play Lapras, search for PETM, Jolteon ex, and Delta Mind. He starts spreading damage with Zzzap, and I KO his Eggs with Mew and Raichus with Jolteon ex, hoping it won't get close, but it does at the end, 1-1. I have a Mew ex Active that'd been Zzzapped twice, a Lapras with 50 on it, and the rest of my bench is clean. He has an Eggs d and Jr., Eggs d with a DRE and 60 on it. He draws, and knows that I'll win if he doesn't kill something this turn. He thinks and calculates damage, but attaching a Castform, attaching Pluspower, and Circling only does 40, and I copy Lapras's Surf FTW. GG, man, that was a close one. 2-0

Round 3: Guy from...(Argentina)(FlyCatty)
I start with Eevee/Mew (can't remember), but I try to secure a win fast by Mentoring for Castform, Lapras, and Solrock, and CFF for Lunatone, locking his Delcatty. He starts rather slow, but he gets rid of Mew with a Reactive Blast and I'm forced to hit with Vaporeon ex. I drop Jolty and hit for 60 (he's at 70), he Reactive Blasts for 40 I try and find a way to KO, but I hit for 60, praying that he doesn't topdeck Boost, and he does, so he KO's me, I KO Fly, and it's close to time (2-1, his favor), so he sends up Delcatty with a damage counter on it, forcing me to attach again to Jolty to Thunder Blast it to KO. He sends up Trapinch w/ Lightning, time is called before he draws. He has 2 cards in hand, he draws to go up to 3, attaches a Trode, Candies to Fly, Emerge Charges a Boost, and Dragon Claws FTW. UGH 2-1.

I find Steven's 1-2 with Kindgdra ex d swarm, and Austin's 2-1 w/ a bye, but he's still ahead of me in placing. I have the worst lunchbreak ever, making it back by mere minutes.

Round 4: Joe Getsy (U.S.)(BannyCario)
The game starts rather explosively, Aura Sphering eachother and spreading carefully. It eventually comes down 2-2, me with a Mew ex, and him with a Lucario, Banette ex, and Riolu (2 dmaage counters each) out. I have 2 bench spaces. I drop 2 Absol ex to KO Riolu and Copy Shadow Chant FTW. GG, buddy. 3-1

And it now goes downhill...

Round 5: Riona Doi (Japan)(Flygon ex d/Eevee)
I get a Licki vs. Trapinch start with no Psychic/Multi. UGH. Worse yet, I accidentally played down Jirachi ex at the start of the game, which ended up costing me it. I also horribly misplayed playing down a Jolteon* when I had Jolteon ex active, Second Biting, and then she dropped her Jolteon ex and Psychic Pulsed Jolty for 2 Prizes. GG, 3-2...

I don't lose hope, because my resistance is high (third of the 3-2's at that point). Austin will also make it in is he wins, and Steven's just too BAD at Pokemon to be mentioned.

Round 6: ???(Norway)(Luc-Eelutions)
My details are fuzzy on this game. But it comes close in the end untill he drops a Cess. Crystal. and it sticks for 3 turns and I'm stopped in my tracks, unable to kill off Lucarios with Mew. I desperately search for the Windtorm with Adventurer and Mary's Request, but can't find it. I lose, and when I do, I flip my last three Prizes, one Windstorm there, and search my three-card deck, and there's a Windstorm at the bottom. UGH, 3-3.

I'm a bit steamed about losing the cut, especially to terrible luck, and find out Austin lost as well. I come in 26th, third of the 3-3's. But I get over it, and have a great time with my friends afterwards. I play a couple last games with Spread against Austin afterwards. I won each of them because Austin is so bad w/ Spread. J/K dude, those games were close (even if you did donk all heads on SSU one of the games). I go swimming with Steven, Nick, & Joe after that. Worlds=Best Tournament of the year by far.

At the Pre-Release (my brother's first tournament! I'm so proud), I pull a second Lucario LVX, and my brother pulled a Magmortar LVX, so that was cool. I didn't get many things that I needed, though.

The hurricane put a damper on my Monday (a bit) and Tuesday (alot). Still made it home safe, and that's what counts.

Props:
Alec for lowning me a Ray ex d and an Absol ex
Danny for lending me a Jolty ex, Vappy ex, and a Mew ex
Johnny for the 2 Mew ex
Clay for the Jirachi ex
My Mom, who's stuck with me through the bad and good of my competitive playing of Pokemon, and buying me the last few cards for Spread
Alec and Johnny again for helping come to list that I ended up using
Spread for being SOOOOO good, and for not dying thanks to the rotation due to Amphy Shining Darkness. SPREAD IS NOT DEAD!!!!
Hawaii for being the best vacation EVA
My awesome Pokemon-playing SKILLZZ that got me to Worlds
My friends (all included), without you I wouldn't be here
Whatever else...

Slops:
LUCK!!!Ugh...
Huge prices in Hawaii
Hurricane Flossie

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Good job Andy. That was pretty good for your first Worlds and report. :p I'm sorry I couldn't have hung out with you, Austin, Steven, and others more. I hung out with Moza Lakak Psyco and Ignatious too much. :p

Good job Andy. That was pretty good for your first Worlds and report. :p I'm sorry I couldn't have hung out with you, Austin, Steven, and others more. I hung out with Moza Lakak Psyco and Ignatious too much. :p
That's all right. We'll see each other at pretty much every tournament this season, anyway. Mind as well hang out with those you don't get to see all time while you can, right? Thanks to everyone else as well. BTW, Austin, you DID lose that second game. I was sniping your Joltys and the only reason you were staying alive was because of donking heads on alll of your SSU flips :tongue:.

Back