Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveP

I just got the latest Scrye and here's what it says:

Pokemon-E TCG National Championship

WIN BIGGEST

ORIGINS INTERNATIONAL GAME EXPO
JUNE 24-27 - COLUMBUS, OHIO

It's a big country. And after the 2004 Pokemon US National Championships, you could be the biggest Pokemon TCG play in it! The famous event is open to all. But only one special player walks away with prizes galore, an invitation to Worlds in Orlando, and a year's supply of bragging rights! Get ready to Win Biggest!

Last edited:
Sounds great to know that PUI will have Worlds...

It's too bad Worlds were not held in the Seattle area since PUI is in Redmond......Oh well...

Did the add say when or where in Orlando?

(Is Worlds open to anyone or invitation only?)

Last edited:
Adv1sor said:
Did the add say when or where in Orlando?

(Is Worlds open to anyone or invitation only?)

The main event is invitational only. I don't know if there will be any side events.

Are there any more details about Nationals at Origins?

I checked the Origins web site and didn't see anything about Pokemon.

Looks more like a WOTC even.

Oh good. We can talk about this now since it's now public knowledge.

Worlds will be in Oct. At least that was the date we heard.

Worlds in October, I don't hope so.
How would overseas people get there without getting a $500 fine a day when you keep your kids of of school.

But what am I talking about, we don't even have City's.

True `Pop.Just wondering why they let this out already...unless they wanted to get people psyched. :)

As always,remember that these things are subject to change.Dates,places,etc.We learned that one with WotC,no? ;)

`Sensei

please don't be in october... please don't be in october... i don't wanna miss skool for this thing... please don't be in october...

Personally, I'd prefer either winter break (last 2 weeks of december) or early august

August would probably be the best time.The last two weeks of Decemeber wouldn`t as,even though kids are off from school,it`s the Holidays and parents will be spending enough as it is during December and would not want to spend even more,not to mention that everyone has family visiting and what not.

`Sensei

I personally dont understand the decision to have it in Orlando. Its in a corner of the US, making it hard for people from the west, along with those in the north east to make it there(without havign to pay high airfare). It just makes more sense to have it in the center of the states(if it was to be held in the us). But i digress, its good to know that PUI is thinking big.

TheCrossFormatKid said:
I personally dont understand the decision to have it in Orlando. Its in a corner of the US, making it hard for people from the west, along with those in the north east to make it there(without havign to pay high airfare).

You have to remember this is WORLDS. You must look at travel from all over the world, not just the US. Europe is closer to Florida than the central or western US.

BDS

I believe the motive for October was so that International players would have an easier time to make it here. A lot of schools in Europe give 1-2 weeks off in the Fall (in lieu of no Thanksgiving), and some schools in the US do as well.
And basically... the European government fines parents for taking their kids out of school for reasons other than illness and there are fines. The US doesn't.
Face it, people are gonna miss school. The only way this could work if it were on a National Holiday (then again it probably wouldn't be international- and people would 'want their day off' instead of trail to a Pokemon tournament)
However Columbus Day Weekend sure does look mighty fine for something.

Anyway, I think by holding this thing in the US they ARE accomodating us anyway. And ideal location for worlds would be somewhere in central Europe (Germany, France, Italy, etc) That way EVERYONE's maximum trip would be around 8 hours (with the exception of...Hawaii :() But of course, being the most financially sufficient super power we are, we just have to have it in our backyard. Other reason could be that more European people have passports than US and it can sometimes be difficult to get visas (just a thought)

On a plus note... A trip to Florida when its generally cold up here makes quite a nice birthday present :D

I noticed that there was a mention of invitations... not packages. Without trips, this excludes most of the US unless they fly... and obviously excludes Europe unless they fly ;x. Oh yeah, and flights are expensive!

~ RaNd0m *rolls eyes*

But of course, being the most financially sufficient super power we are, we just have to have it in our backyard.

I just wish the people of this country had that money...like Random said,trips are expensive and most people can`t afford to travel... :p

`Sensei

Last edited:
When the first rumors of a Worlds were going around, (months ago) I already mailed PUI to mention that there are only 2 weeks a year almost all worldwide players would be able to travel to any place (even players from Australia).
These are the last week of July and first week of August.
I also asked them kindly to provide a date as early as possible.

Coming weeks (before the end of Jan.) we have to choose which weeks we want our summerleave and if we want to be off at Christmas or any other day. So if I choose the wrong period it's bad luck. I'm not intending that we get invited for Worlds, I only want to try to get to some sideevents (if offered).
We can't go to Indy Gencon because the kids have to go to school then again.

At least I know this mentioned period works for Belgium, Italy, France, Germany, the Netherlands and some more European countries, but I never got an answer on that.

Man, color me amazed with complaining already, especially from players who do not participate in tourneys at this point, because there are not a lot out there.

I do not want to see us at the point where we are complaining about what we are given, because most other games have NOTHING like this.

This reminds me of the 15\\= discussion of a few years ago.

I need a trip, I need a trip....does not hold water from players who buy, what, one box or two boxes of cards that make PUI less than 100 dollars?

Remember, the glass is definiely half full, and the best is yet to come.

M45

Well you CAN drive to Florida, sleep in your car, and play homeless and go to a soup kitchen if you really want a free trip. Then again there's gas money.

Its seriously not that expensive to fly to Florida, and unless you're picky like my family, there are plenty of Econolodge type places to stay....if anyone really needs a good deal.... my dad's a travel agent and we can pretty much set you up :D (i'm serious here)

Schools in the UK would be MORE than accommodating for pupils who had to take time off for a World Championships (speaking as a High School teacher myself)... part of the Gifted and Talented programme... dare I say an educational visit as well...? ;)

~fK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back