Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worth driving 150 miles to a prerelease?

Ninjask_161

I mean, i have my own car, and gas prices are droppings some, but do you think enough people will show up to make it worth my $25 entry fee + gas? I plan on using my birthday cash to get there, so money is really no object i guess. Its somewhere in ohio, so i'm really not sure what the player turnout will be. if anyone lives in ohio, please let me know its a place called Gamers, Inc. in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

I think I drove 100 miles + to a pre release once (one way)
it's not really worth it, now if there were 5 rounds or more it might be worth going and playing.
I hate going to pre releases and getting a bye (all pre releases at least take 45 minutes to get to from my house). Then they only play 4 rounds.

Unless they have a preregistration at the place your going, your probably going to be wasting your time. You might be better off just getting a box.

Well, ya gotta understand. This is the CLOSEST event to me, and as i am trying to get back into the game, the new cards would really help out. I just wish that it were closer! and another thing, I play against the same 3 decks all the time, and i want to see how my skill stands up against other(hopefully more challenging) opponents. my friend and his brother play, and thats about it. the other deck i play against is my own deck >.<

150 miles so you can spend $25 for entrance fee and get only 8 packs? Plus gas? If you're car gets 30 mpg (and that's being liberal), that's at least 5 gallons for the trip there, plus 5 gallons more for the trip back. At $4 a gallon that's about $40 for gas, plus the $25 entrance fee which equals $65. You can also add the depreciation of the car which you are using. Add to that food necessary for survival while you're there and you're easily looking at buying a box for the same price. Would you rather have 8 packs or 36? Hmm...

And if you want to play against other people use Apprentice. PM me if you really want a game.

true....i mean, yeah it would be expensive. I just want to go to an event =/. I really want to start going to tournaments and then eventually to nations or even worlds. is there some sort of rating system that is used among players? to determine which ones get to go to the larger tournaments?

Gamers Inc, gets a fairly good turnout. However if you can make it, the prerelease at All American Sports Center in North Ridgeville, Ohio is a much better experience (and a better turnout). I'm not sure where in Ohio you live though, so that Gamers Inc might be quite a bit closer.

actually i live in west virginia, right on the border by marietta, ohio. the North Ridgeville tournament is about 30 miles further, but its alot less highway miles and more roads im not sure if i would be comfy travelling alone. I have a minor fear of getting lost lol. but i can check the mapquest

I am driving 170+ miles for prereleases. Difference is I am going to 4 in 1 weekend, 2 precon and 2 booster draft. I am also staying with friends, so no hotel. when you take these things into account, its worth it to me. If you can do more than one its better.:thumb:

In total, I'm probably driving over 500 miles for two Prereleases, but I'm staying with friends, and both of the Pres have two ways of getting new stuff. Last time, I drove about the same amount for the same two places, and I ended up with 4 Garchomp lvX. Totally worth it.

I don't know if this would of been closer, but I was trying to schedule a Prerelease in Dublin, Ohio (West side of Columbus), but things fell through with the location that I run them at.

I will have 2 Autumn Battle Road tournaments in the Columbus area. If you want more info, I can PM it to you.

For me the nearest League is about a 3 hr drive away. So the Prereleases are about the only POP Tourneys i can attend. I try to go if i can, but expense is the big draw back. Right now i'm debating on going to 1 or 2 Prereleases, and which one(s) they will be. My Dad lives near two of them, so i'd be able to visit him, kinda. seeing as the Prereleases take most of the Day to do.

true....i mean, yeah it would be expensive. I just want to go to an event =/. I really want to start going to tournaments and then eventually to nations or even worlds. is there some sort of rating system that is used among players? to determine which ones get to go to the larger tournaments?

Save your money and go to a battle road in the fall, buy a box of LA and make an awesome deck. don't waste your money and time. the pre would be okay but your not going to be able to test your skills at the game.

Back