Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yamato Marathon: We're not Worthy!

SteveP

For those who witnessed it, you know what I mean. For 11+ hours last night Worlds 2004 champ Yamato took on all challengers and was near to perfect at beating everyone. Had Yamato used that ZRE deck he had last night at Worlds 2005, we'd be shipping the 15+ Worlds trophy back to Japan one more time.

I don't want to embarras anyone who was daring enough to take on the ex-champ, but post here about your experience playing against the "machine." Personally, I didn't see Yamato make a single mistake in the 3-4 hours I watched. I doubt he lost more than a handful of the hundreds of matches he played last night.

Also, thanks to Mossy's inquiry about the picture on the shirt that the japanese were wearing, we now know about "Rich," the leader/trainer of the Japanese team. Until we can consistantly beat guys like Yamato and Goh, we'll never be worthy enough to take on "Rich."

There were lots of funny moments during the Yamato Marathon. Post here if you can remember some. Here's one.

One of Yamato's opponents played an illegal Worlds Deck TV Reporter against him. It was from Yamato's Worlds deck. Yamato's response? "Ohh, my card! Thank you!" Yamato then signed "his" card after THOROUGHLY whipping his opponent.

Last edited:
I didn't get to see the marathon, altho our LL's son played him a match (Tommy's Back). I thought the warm reception that everyone gave him when he lost in top 8 was great. Everyone on all sides of the aisles recognized him for the great skill involved and his incredible run for the last 2 years. Well done folks!! :clap: Altho a small chant of USA USA went up during the awards ceremony for Venusuar.....there were plenty of good sportsmanship going around the room that day.

Keith

That was- WITHOUT A DOUBT- the best performance i have EVER witnessed! Machine works. What a great player and- more importantly - a very nice guy. I sat maybe 2 feet from him for over 7 hours, watched all attempt to beat him and in about 12 hours of playing he lost maybe 7 games. Maybe! Was worth staying up all night to see such an artist at work :)

I have never seen such a performance from ANY player before- US or Japanese. T2 muk, ludi, medi ex, blaze, meta-attack, didn't matter :) He just blew through them ! Only until people started throwing catty bomb variants at him did he actually start to lose :) I can't tell you how many games he just sliced and diced some REALLY great American players. TOTAL board control!

I'm with Steve though, although there was a TON of funny moments, the best was Aaron Curry playing Yamato's own tv reporter against him ( don't feel bad Aaron , he shut out probally half of the players he played). That was great!!!!

I say shut-out, not quite true. Yamato took ten prizes in most of those games , he was just nice enough to give opposing players 4 of them when he bombed :) What a player!!!!

And for what it's worth, it's scary how good "Rich" must be the way Yamato and Goh talked of his playing skills.

Last edited:
Yamato is truly, hands down, the greatest player in this game today. All ego aside, anyone who believes otherwise hasn't seen this guy live. It was great to see him and the other Japanese players attempt to put the language barrier aside during Sunday night and play some games with the American players.

It was AWESOME he was pwning and this is how it started Me and a couple of my friends were going to play in a little toury of our own and all of the sudden Yamato and his gang (consisting of Go) had walked by and saw us playing.
He then saw me with my deck just shuffleing and Then(i guess to get out his anger out because of loseing he asks to play me and i agreed. I had a good hand and he went first(RARE CANDY LUDICOLO FIRST TURN) and he got down to 1 PRIZE and i still had SIX and after he had to discard his intire hand to keep his ludi alive he couldnt draw anything and i came back and won. that was the best game i have ever played. He was a very nice guy and was so GOOD and pwning all of the people that he played it was so fun to watch him just own all of these people but he lost just a hand full but who doesnt?

Last edited:
Yeah, this whole weekend was amazing, I cannot believe how much fun it was to see everyone again for another great showdown. Yeah, the Japanese are amazing people. Not just at this game, but as people in general. It's sad that I didn't get to play against neither Goh or Yamato in the main event, seeing as we were the top 3 finishers in swiss, but hey, theres ALWAYS next year (OOPS!). Bottom line, hope to have them back again.

Yeah I'm bummed that I didn't get to play against either of them, too. I think I could have taken them with Metagross, which was my #2 choice for a worlds deck. I almost think it may have been the correct decision, but its over now. They definately are quite good. Go did topdeck BADLY against Seena, who was hurt by prizes =\

Moss Factor said:
I think I could have taken them with Metagross, which was my #2 choice for a worlds deck. I almost think it may have been the correct decision, but its over now.

I think your right. Look at my list, perfection I think.

Yamato is no doubt one of the best and most consistant player out there. I'd have liked to play him just for the experience.

IDK moss , I played my nats deck ( Meta ) vs yamato and that was a 10 prize game. Him taking all of them.I did sit down with him at about 5 am (After having watched him for 7 hours. I ended up splitting with him.I am so confident that if yamato had been using a different decxk the end result would have been the same.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR
GG noob Chris Schell - Yamato at 5 AM

Last edited:
Hmm I wish I had watched more of this. I kinda wasn't sure if I should approach him afterwards but 10+ hours of challengers?!!?, thats really generous of him. The ovation for Yamato after our game was really great. Just before he got up I told him how much we all respected him and the crowd was really great to him. I definately will remember that moment for the rest of my life.

I witnessed the Yamato marathon, and took part in the REAL DEAL at last worlds, but not this year.

le sigh.

7+ hours? Dang, anyone that can still see straight after that deserves to be one of the best if not the best.

WHAT!!!! he took all challangers!!! how did i miss that!? well, i got to play him round 3 on sat. vs. his ludicargo deck. needless to say i lost, and now that i think of it i went from 2-0 to 2-3 after losing to him...... but wow was he a great player, his ludi looked standered to me but he always knew when to use what attack and was always thinking a turn ahead of me, so at least 4. everytime i got close to a comeback in that game he would briney his energy and the pain would continue on. but i have to say, even though my japanese has gotten a little rusty, that he is one of, if not the nicest player i had the honor of playing against all day.

I tried in earnest to get in line to play him. I wasn't aggressive enough.

Yah pidgeotto trainer (RossC), I was going to tell you to go over and play him. I would've died to have seen the expression on his face, especially after if he'd whopped you with his ZRE. :smile:

Yah, Seena was writhing in pain in that second game when he had 1 prize left to Yamato's 4. Yamato worked Seena so cooly, I could just see the frustration in Seena's face as he was unable to get the card(s) he needed to beat Yamato. Classic Kodak moment!

It was also funny when Seena got a 3rd match with Yamato, only to see Yamato run to the bathroom and asked his "young apprentice" Goh to step in and play Seena. Seena lost that match too. :smile:

Yamato is the nicest guy onearth along with Goh, they came down to mingle and we asked them to play poker, and they didnt want to unfornetly, (Prolly onyl card game that we could beat them at). But man he could of set up a cup labeled tips and made a fortune there was no joke a line of people, people arguing who was next. Hes the top of the game and IMHO always will be, He lost not because he was out played but merely becuase he was out decked, the matchup was hard for him, GJ Ross once you deserved, but im sure my reconaisence helped quite a bit.

Back