Zekrom Error 114/114

Discussion in 'Collecting and Card Price Discussion' started by waynegg, Apr 26, 2011.

8 league13 468 60
  1. waynegg

waynegg CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator

But which is the error? The one with the black background or the one with the gray background??? I'm guessing the black background as it seems it would be more suited for contrast with the white Reshiram. Speaking of which, has anyone seen the same with Reshiram? Any guesses on value or do you feel it's too early to determine?

[gal=52132]The Zekrom Three[/gal]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. PokemonTrader

PokemonTrader Active Member

Interesting...
    I'd think though that the grey is the error as it is harder to read... but Im not sure, don't go by my say XD

3. wobbufet

wobbufet New Member

The grey one is the error, I'm pretty sure.

4. grey Is probably the error. Reshiram has a white one, so it is natural for zekrom to be opposite. Also, I have seen scans of zekrom with a black background.

5. waynegg

Thanks, but at this point I've seen about the same numbers of each. I can tell you that Zekrom seems to fade into the background a bit on the black card. Usually, from an artistic standpoint, you don't want your focal point to blend in like that.

6. DJGigabyte

DJGigabyte Forum Moderator

It makes more sense for the grey to be the error, since Reshiram is on a white background, so Zekrom in theory should be on Black.

7. waynegg

That's true! So gray it is.

Now, any ideas on the value?

8. sdrawkcab

sdrawkcab Forum Moderator

value is all dependent on how rare it is

9. Viva piñata

Viva piñata Active Member

intresting seeing the grey one has zekrom way darker than the black backround one ? id say its just one of the ones that was almost to last being printed and just had a lighter inc print so i wouldnt say its worth maybe a couple of dollars more... or it was scanned diffrently maybe with a higher quality scanner ??

10. Skitty

Skitty New Member

So you've seen the different ones in real life and not scanned? That rules out the "different scanner makes it look different" theory. And you said you've seen an equal amount of each? How many would that be? And were they pulled from the same case?
    Those questions should help figure out how hard it is to get.

11. waynegg

I personally pulled both of these (pictured) from tins last night. Looking at ebay, half of the people selling them have scans of the gray background whereas the other have the black background.

Actually, the Zekrom is the exact same color on both cards. The background just gives the illusion of a difference.

12. The_Lurb

The_Lurb New Member

My friend opened two boxes last night and both of his were grey background. The one I opened at the pre-release had the black background. The grey one still seems like it should be the error however.

13. Politoed666

Politoed666 New Member

I can tell you with certainty that the grey background is the error.

As for how rare it is... probably not very, but we'll wait and see. It will probably be corrected after the first print run, so there's a chance it might be worth something.

14. kwisdumb

kwisdumb New Member

Yeah, I opened 2 boxes and got 2 grey backgrounds. So gooood.

15. z-man

z-man New Member

The grey one looks cooler imo...but I would guess it is an error because ram is on a white bg. The grey one makes om's wings look smaller... At least to my eyes

16. Skitty

Skitty New Member

The Zekrom you get might be determaned by if you get the packs with the code cards in them or not. Because I just saw 3 boxes with the codes opened and they all had the gray Zekrom, while every pre-release or tin/blister one I've seen pulled has been the black one.
    For those that pulled one of the gray ones, were they from a pack with a code or without?

17. arcow

arcow New Member

I've only seen two grey ones get pulled. Both from code packs so maybe they're code pack only as skitty is suggesting.

18. pokemonforever

pokemonforever New Member

Why am I hearing about this now...

19. waynegg

Both of mine came from tins. Neither were from code packs.

Surely that isn't a bad thing. I posted the picture like 5 minutes after I pulled them and you saw it less than 48 hours later.

20. Mr Darkrai

Mr Darkrai New Member

I've not seen it pointed out, but the black zekrom's bg is foily. I have the impression it is a reverse holo.

The grey bg is not shiny, just like the white bg on the Reshiram