Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Thieves caught on video at Worlds, TPCi does nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, this is really a lose/lose situation for TPCi.

People are going to be mad either way, which has to be really frustrating.

Lose/lose? You ban thieves that were caught on camera, verified by police and professional, trained hotel security staff -- literally when else in your life do you have such clear evidence?! I don't even have that much evidence of what I are for breakfast this morning! They tarnished the premier crown jewel event in this game: The World Championships. Does anyone actually think that TPCi loses for ridding the game of these criminals?!

The only real loser in a ban scenario is Mees, who, despite getting a modicum of justice, still does not have his MacBook back.

Last edited:
SD Pokemom has been "thanking" every post that defends these criminals, so I guess it's obvious where she stands... I guess since she's on the West Coast and doesn't have to worry about criminal thugs plundering her tournaments, she really doesn't care.

For those that didn't bother to look on facebook, here is a post he made September 2nd.

http://i.imgur.com/ewcDOEL.png

Is it just me or is he trying to get himself banned? Like he finally snapped and will just keep doing things until someone finally stops him ; see how much he can get away with. I won't be surprised if the next event we here more things happen...

For those that didn't bother to look on facebook, here is a post he made September 2nd.

http://i.imgur.com/ewcDOEL.png

Is it just me or is he trying to get himself banned? Like he finally snapped and will just keep doing things until someone finally stops him ; see how much he can get away with. I won't be surprised if the next event we here more things happen...

Or he's just an attention seeker and thinks it's fun and hilarious to hurt people.

That is not Gino with Mees' laptop.

That is an Indiana player at the Klaczynski Open with their own laptop, showing a picture of themselves with Gino.

Gino cropped the picture and posted what you see.

They invite these people out to the same place and put them together in the same hotel and act they're not responsible for player safety? Of course they are. And while the game itself is played during tournament hours in the convention center, our demands for safety extend beyond the space directly above the playmat and for the 30 min + 3 to at the very least the hotel where Mees et al were invited by TPCi to stay.

Well, there goes that prize benefit! Perhaps Jason K. just gets cash for a hotel in Washington D.C. rather than a paid room.

That is not Gino with Mees' laptop.

That is an Indiana player at the Klaczynski Open with their own laptop, showing a picture of themselves with Gino.

Gino cropped the picture and posted what you see.

Even if it is/isn't the laptop, it's still shows he is having fun messing with Mees. I really don't think someone innocent would do all these asinine things.

Well, there goes that prize benefit! Perhaps Jason K. just gets cash for a hotel in Washington D.C. rather than a paid room.

Jason K? What does he have to do with any of this?

Also are you implying that players simply getting cash over an arranged trip, completely overhauling the current system, is a better solution than banning these criminals? Really?!

When someone is a thug, thief, and overall bad person, why would you want them anywhere near your game? or anywhere near you, period?

Pokemon has banned some amazing, good people from the game. They need to do the same with these punks.

I can really sympathize with everyone's frustration on this thread. But I challenge you to consider something further...

As a theoretical exercise - doesTCPi have the responsibility to be "the world's policeman". Where would you find an acceptable line between clear wrongdoing and no consequences from Pokemon? If a regular Pokemon player stole a car, was arrested (or not), bragged about it on Facebook, wrecked the car and tried to get insurance from the wreck - in other words was doing some pretty extensive "bad" things - would TCPi have any business knowing about (or acting on) that information? If you commit tax fraud or counterfit checks, should Pokemon ban you from playing in tournaments?

I hope you all can consider that there might be a firm line here which this incident crossed (even if just barely) that takes it out of the realm of TCPi's jurisdiction. Is it the right line? I certainly don't know enough about the discussions and deliberation which led to their decision to say. But I do believe in "innocent until proven guilty" - even if they aren't really accused of anything.

The comparison you make isn’t entirely accurate. This is within the purview of TPCi because:
1. The two involved are both players- this is their relationship. Pokemon is why there exists a relationship.
2. The two were gathered together for the sake of playing in a pokemon tournament.
3. It happened in the hotel where Worlds was taking place.
The analogy you use, of someone stealing a car, wrecking it, etc. is not the same because it lacks the fundamental element that this situation has- it involves pokemon players. To quote the penalty guidelines:
Pokémon Organized Play may issue suspensions to players who disrupt other players or the events they attend.
Disrupting other players, or disrupting the events is grounds for suspension. This is directly affecting the brand, the game, the event (and future events), and players. This is why your arguments falls short.

You know, this is really a lose/lose situation for TPCi. We see what happens when they choose not to ban the offenders, but what would the thread have been like if they did ban Jon and Gino? TPCi would not comment on the reason for the bans, speculation would run rampant, and the mob with their pitchforks would be yelling about TPCi banning a well known player.

People are going to be mad either way, which has to be really frustrating.

Even if that WERE the case, one situation runs the risk of losing more. If you have on your hands a situation where either outcome is negative, you should opt for the less negative outcome. I think possibly overstepping boundaries (though PRECEDENCE shows that this is not something new or outside their habits and behavior) is a better outcome than doing nothing and allowing this tarnished image and future possibility of incident.

---
Here is what we have:
1. Report created by the hotel security staff describing that two individuals were seen ON VIDEO rummaging through ONE particular person’s belongings, and then removing items from that person’s luggage, and exiting the hotel.
2. The photos are not evidence of the stealing. The photos are the two individuals the hotel security saw rummage and exit with items from the luggage, and what was presented to Mees to see if he could identify the two individuals caught on video rummaging his belongings. It could be some other bro-looking guy, but there’s a 99.99% chance that’s Gino Lombardi. Did he steal a macbook? Is that a binder or macbook in the bag he is holding? ALL IRRELEVENT. The hotel security sends a written letter to the POLICE confirming that items were taken out of a bag belonging to MEES by these two individuals. They TOOK SOMETHING NOT BELONGING TO THEM from another player, at the hotel for worlds, for which they were both there for the event.
3. Like Moss has said, TPCi doesn’t need to have a crime committed to suspend a player. The mere disruption of other players and the event is enough to warrant a suspension. We don’t have to prove in a court of law that Gino committed larceny. This isn’t a trial. This isn’t a prosecution. You don’t have to prove WHAT was stolen, but there is proof SOMETHING was stolen, and that in and of itself should be enough for suspension. If you doubt that Gino stole something, even in a court of law that doubt wouldn't be appropriate because it's supposed to be beyond a REASONABLE doubt. You should look to see if your doubts are reasonable, or if it's unreasonable, doubt for the sake of arguing.

What I ask those who are disagreeing with the majority is this:
Are you doing this for the sake of being a contrarian? Are you doing this out of a blind allegiance to all actions undertaken by TPCi? Do you honestly believe a suspension is unwarranted, or are you arguing for the sake of arguing? And trust me, as someone who likes to play devil’s advocate and engage in riveting discourse, this isn't the time or place for nonsense like this.

If you want to argue for no reason at all, let’s pick topics like what flavor of ice cream is best. If we are going to legitimate discuss what ought to be done in this situation, leave the BS arguing and contrarianism at the door, please.

I have been a part of the community for over 10 years, and quite frankly, I find the decision reached by TPCi to be absolutely absurd. This is simply another decision made in a very short-sighted manner, but as we can observe by even a cursory glance, can have long-term adverse effects on the community, the game, and the brand itself.

I am going to try to leave emotion out of it as I am extremely passionate about this community, the experience it has provided me, and the experience that I hope to one day be able to provide my kids. That said, I do wish to look at this objectively. Let's break this down on a very elementary level.

Firstly, why does TPCi host tournaments? TPCi hosts tournaments and oversees organized play because it drives their profitability. From a revenue perspective, sales of cards where the end user is a competitive player represent a substantial percentage of their total revenues, even if it may not be the majority. That said, as a for profit enterprise, TPCi has the responsibility to provide for the safety of their customers and their belongings while conducting business, that is, hosting events. Though it is arguable as to whether or not the lobby of the hotel represents a part of the event, this point is not relevant to the argument I wish to put forth. That said, the evidence provided, coupled with Dave's initial response indicates that they strongly believe Gino is indeed responsible for the theft of Mees' Macbook. As others have stated, the evidence is not only substantial, but sufficient to warrant the involvement of the Vancouver Police Department. If this was not an international issue, the evidence and eyewitness accounts are absolutely sufficient to bring about prosecution.

Now let's consider future tournaments. What if an additional incident occurred involving the players in question? What if next time, the crime was violent instead of property-based? Though I am by no means suggesting that Gino is likely to commit such a crime (however, this is debatable given previous reports of intimidation), as a for-profit entity, is it not TPCi's responsibility to provide for the safety of its customers during a profit-motivated event? TPCi could very easily be sued by a victim in such a case, as it is sheer negligence to allow an individual, who beyond reasonable doubt committed this crime, into a future event. They are not only subjecting their customers to undue risk, but also themselves.

Therefore, I strongly support a ban of both Gino and Jon for their actions. Sufficient evidence has been provided to incriminate both of these individuals, and it is irresponsible and deleterious to both the brand, and the game to allow these players to participate in any future events.

Though I have not posted on this forum for a very long time, I simply had to speak out against this very poor decision.

This feels like its all a big joke. I mean, look at some of this stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/4SKst#0

everything seems like its OK between the people but clearly the OP is upset.

I mean, regardless something should be done about the theft. like a ban. whatever happened to the old "ban first, ask later"?

This feels like its all a big joke. I mean, look at some of this stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/4SKst#0

everything seems like its OK between the people but clearly the OP is upset.

I mean, regardless something should be done about the theft. like a ban. whatever happened to the old "ban first, ask later"?

the plot thickens more.... What happened to the days of just playing cards?

- - - Updated - - -

Then you don't know Gino very well.

Obviously I don't then. But does this make me want to? no.

It's funny how silent the whole of New England has been on two players who have played for most of their lives up here. Nobody seems to want to take a side because of how close everyone is to these two. It's easy to call someone out on the internet but locals up here interact with Jon and Gino on a regular basis. Both players are powerful and popular. Nobody wants to be on the bad side of the most influential local players. I'll say what I think. Maybe that will get some other New Englanders to speak up and at least give their honest opinions and talk about their histories with Gino and Jon. It's easy for those who don't truly know either of them to make their 2 cent judgements.

Gino is a funny guy. Invoking the 5th amendment to not incriminate one's self? Generally the people who do this would incriminate themselves if they were to speak. Connect the dots.

Jon on the other hand has been one of my best friends for almost 7 years. Never, EVER have I known him to be an immoral person. He's a lot like myself-he speaks his mind, he's honest and he is definitely one to make things right however he can. He's returned every card I've let him borrow and some I'm pretty sure were never mine to begin with. Even after all this drama I would trust him with almost any item I own. The man has an unyielding moral compass and a strong sense of guilt-a sense I'm not sure if Gino has at all. Jon maintains that he tried to only take from the suitcase what was his. Everything else was given back. Gino, if he stole the laptop, took advantage of the situation and Jon's distraction. I don't think that Jon would just let Gino take someone elses laptop. He's one of the few people I've known to have the courage to stand up to Gino. In fact, you never even see the laptop. If Gino stole it he probably kept it in the bag, hidden from Jon as well.

And this brings me back to this thread and how unfairly Jon is represented here. Within the facebook community most people know that Jon made a huge post right after Jason came out with the information in Heyfonte. He admitted to taking Jason's box in the bathroom and he said that was a joke-he thought Jason was cooler with him than Jason apparently thought. In fact, at worlds Jon brought this up with me as well. He told me the story just as he told it on Facebook right after it happened. Jon has had his deckbox stolen locally before and he had no reason to target Jason in the bathroom. Like I said, Jon believed that he was on good terms with Jason. I don't think there was any bad intent there, the incident was just poorly timed relative to the whole Laptop affair.

Unfortunately the Pokegym community (and the Reddit one, thanks to yet another poster trying to create an internet wide witch hunt that would pressure TPCi to ban both Jon and Gino) really doesn't have level of firsthand information or posters informed about the situation. These people who are just trying to shout far and wide to put pressure on TPCi are completely out of line. Not only are they damaging TPCi's reputation... these rash actions are perfect examples of poorly thought out vigilante justice. To all the ban happy players out there who want a slice of power: why do you feel that your opinion carries more weight than the informed decision that TPCi made? Do you all seriously think you deserve to decide who gets banned and who doesn't?

...Jason Klaczynski. I admired him as a player for so many years. Jon did too. I know he had a particularly bad experience with Jon but the harassment has gone too far. As far as I know Jon contacted Mees about the cards he had mistakenly taken (and if you don't know Jon's side of the story you shouldn't even be making judgments here) well before Jason made his first post calling him out. What Jason said only damaged Jon's reputation forever. Gino, if he has the laptop, would be shooting himself in the foot if he ever gives it back. By admitting he has it he would be forever shunned by the community-he'd be better off keeping it. Had the situation been kept between Mees, Jon and Gino everything could have been resolved quietly.

Jon isn't banned and has done his part to make things right. He admitted that he took cards that weren't his while he was looking for the bag and cards that were taken from him the night before during a party. As far as I know and would expect, the cards he took were on their way back to OP before Jon was even publicly called out.

I'll defend Jon forever but I still want that laptop to be back in its owners arms. There is no reason to take a laptop from another's bag other than pure greed while Jon's intentions were clearly different. He told his story while Gino hides behind the "5th Amendment".

TL:DC (didn't copy)

I agree to an extent with this. While Jon did return the items, apologize, etc, I still think there is enough there to at least suspend him for his actions. (not perma ban) If this was only the first thing he did, I agree a warning for him would have been all right. However, since there has been other reports of similar acts or fishy behavior, a suspension seems necessary. Other than that, I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back