Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Expanding the "Elite Trainer" product line: Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and Doreen? We all know what a Prerelease is right now. Those guys are making suggestions as to what they think might make Prereleases better in the future. It would be great if you didn't jump down everybody's throat every time they make a suggestion about anything that you don't agree with, thanks. Your words carry power on these boards, and not just b/c of that fancy title below your name. But because of your position as a PTO and Worlds-level Judge. Just some friendly advice, that's all.
excuse me? signofzeta's post said they didn't know what a prerelease deck/format was, as they've never attended one; i was giving him the info he was missing, not 'jumping down [his] throat'...i was unaware that a statement of fact was 'jumping down someone's throat' =/
I am unsure if a 40 card prerelease deck format uses 4 prize cards rather than 6, but if it isn't it would be cool if a 40 card deck played with 4 prize cards rather than 6.

Very interested in these proposed ideas, but they are missing a little something...Black star promos maybe? it would be more of a reason to get them, for me at least.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a solid idea;

Why not distribute these via preleases? This not only gives people that goes to these a chance to get theirs money worth. But can open new players/casual players to get into competitive, or even start a new comer on the right track. Seeing these given at releases rather then the 8 packs would be amazing!

This is a fantastic idea, I would love to go to a prerelease get an ETB and promo for about $50 (thats with the 2 extra packs). Though I know it would be a bit pricey though for families.

Very interested in these proposed ideas, but they are missing a little something...Black star promos maybe? it would be more of a reason to get them, for me at least.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a fantastic idea, I would love to go to a prerelease get an ETB and promo for about $50 (thats with the 2 extra packs). Though I know it would be a bit pricey though for families.

$30-40 range, or whatever the current prices for pre-releases are + a bit more. I mean, I think its the perfect way to distribute these, not to mention, I bet competitive players that don't tend go to pre-releases will have a reason to go. Sleeves + Energies + Booster Packs + Dice + Plastic Poison/Burn Marker. I mean it's the perfect way to start someone new, or someone who just doesn't know in general. End of the day, everyone leaves satisfied.

While I like the idea of using ETBs for prereleases, I would hate it if that was the only way to acquire one. Right now our area is between PTOs which means my local store that used to hold prereleases is currently not able to. Not everyone who plays lives in an area with an easily-accessible prerelease tournament. But the ETB line should be available to players everywhere.

i just only want a magnet deckbox, just like the grey ones from world championships 2006.

On the topic of prereleases, I would love it if you went to a prerelease and you had to select from one of two promos, like how you go into your local video game store, and you had to only choose between Pokemon X or Pokemon Y. Of course you could choose both, but that would be like going to one prerelease and picking one promo, and going to a different one, and selecting the other promo.

I don't know if this was intentionally done with the ETB, but looking at the Plasma Storm, and Plasma Blast Elite trainer boxes, the Japanese sets for Plasma Storm and Plasma Blast are Plasma Gale and Megalo Cannon respectively. Both those sets are single sets, and not those double sets that Plasma Freeze, or in Japan, Spiral Force and Thunder Knuckle is. So is the reason why there are two Elite Trainer Boxes in XY the same reason why there is a Collection X and Collection Y in Japan?

If Elite Trainer boxes were a replacement for the stuff you get at a prerelease, as I said before, for a set that contains two sets in Japan, that is Collection X and Collection Y, I would like to see two different prerelease promos.

Problem with having these at prereleases is the amount of trainer boxes needing to be shipped to each release will be a lot more expensive. One Booster box can supply 6 while one ETB supplies only one person. It's a lot easier fitting in several booster boxes instead of 40-50 or so ETBs for a pre release.

On the topic of prereleases, I would love it if you went to a prerelease and you had to select from one of two promos, like how you go into your local video game store, and you had to only choose between Pokemon X or Pokemon Y. Of course you could choose both, but that would be like going to one prerelease and picking one promo, and going to a different one, and selecting the other promo.

This is extremely unfair to those who live extremely faraway from prerelease locations, as well as the many places in Europe that no longer get prerelease promos. After reading this thread, there is no denying that you have been giving a very large amount of ideas, but they don't really seem to be considering the bigger picture. Most of them just seem to benefit yourself, without any regard to whether or not they are alienating others.

I don't know if this was intentionally done with the ETB, but looking at the Plasma Storm, and Plasma Blast Elite trainer boxes, the Japanese sets for Plasma Storm and Plasma Blast are Plasma Gale and Megalo Cannon respectively. Both those sets are single sets, and not those double sets that Plasma Freeze, or in Japan, Spiral Force and Thunder Knuckle is. So is the reason why there are two Elite Trainer Boxes in XY the same reason why there is a Collection X and Collection Y in Japan?

The specific sets just happen to feature a different amount of Pokémon. Plasma Storm's feature was pretty much exclusively Lugia, so one box was necessary. Plasma Blast was the set that introduced Genesect, so equally as necessary to only feature the 1 Pokémon. XY, however, as a base set that featured both titular Legionaries to the games, so featuring both Xerneas and Yveltal makes sense. The response to the ETB has also been quite favorable, thus releasing two wasn't a bad idea.

This is wonderful they are taking the time to listen to the players who are very involved in the game. Let's look forward to positive results with their research.

This is extremely unfair to those who live extremely faraway from prerelease locations, as well as the many places in Europe that no longer get prerelease promos. After reading this thread, there is no denying that you have been giving a very large amount of ideas, but they don't really seem to be considering the bigger picture. Most of them just seem to benefit yourself, without any regard to whether or not they are alienating others.

I live in an area where I have to leave the country to get to the closest prerelease, or travel 200+ miles to get to a prerelease within the country, so I don't see how that is unfair. Another addition to this model is the whole specialized pack model. Let's say, for the sake of showing you an example, that the XY prerelease had this model. This 2 promo model will only be for sets where Japan splits the set between 2 packs. 4 of your packs will be from XY, and 2 of them are special packs. These special packs are 9 card boosters taken from a special card pool. This card pool depends on the promo you take. The promos that you pick will be related to the Japanese Colleciton X and Collection Y, that is, the cards would be exclusive to those sets in Japan. For example, the promo in real life is Aegislash, but in this 2 promo prerelase, If you pick Aegislash, becuase it is in Collection Y in Japan, you get the 4 XY packs and 2 special packs related to Japanese Collection Y + Yveltal half deck. If you pick the one related to Collection X, let's say, I don't know, Bisharp, because it is in Collection X, 2 of your boosters will be taken from the Collection X + Xerneas Half Deck card pool, meaning that you won't get cards like Blastoise EX from 2 of your packs because you didn't pick the other promo.

I'm saying all these things, but I won't be able to experience it anyway. I just thought it would be a neat idea.

Last edited:
The Japanese Zekrom and Reshiram Boxes were a good construction as well. Also, if you want to make sleeves stop making them from different vendors and material. Make them consistent with the quality of Pokemon Center sleeves. Thick like those dragon shields. In some respects, for 40$ or 1/3 of a box ish depends on the store, it would be nice to have a consistent ratio with the boxes themselves not. Using velcro is not the way to go don't do that. Kinda like the boxes now though I would love to see new energy art in these ETBs. The fact that it didn't come out with base set upset quite a number of people. You have the art, it should be rather cheap to be able to make a background art for these things, ie. The Delta EX era had the best energy it was different every time, y'all cared about it. The pokemon are just a section of this great game. You should make the other two sections (Trainers and Energy) included in your awesomeness as well. People pay for atmosphere and for the feeling of belonging to something fun. Make it so bro. There is some ideas to throw around with that. As far as the box construction, it is good, though I would like to see magnetic lids to close possibly, like the VS. System did with their 5 deck boxes, also Think about interesting ways to incorporate boxes. The dice are bit lacking. You have seen those dice with the head and tail of the pikachu right? why not something like that. That was awesome.

Something like http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Master_Deck_Build_Box_EX_(TCG) would be incredible. It'd do a lot to break down the entry barrier to new players. Even if it mainly contained staple trainers rather than pokemon. Getting all the staple trainers can be a nightmare at times as other than the secondary market there's no easy way to get them (with the notable exception of the red genesect box, but it certainly wasn't marketed as a way of getting all the staples and being a premium product was a bit pricey for that purpose).

Additionally I'd like to thank you for your work in developing the Elite Trainer Box, it's obvious you've taken community feedback seriously.

Something like http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Master_Deck_Build_Box_EX_(TCG) would be incredible. It'd do a lot to break down the entry barrier to new players. Even if it mainly contained staple trainers rather than pokemon. Getting all the staple trainers can be a nightmare at times as other than the secondary market there's no easy way to get them (with the notable exception of the red genesect box, but it certainly wasn't marketed as a way of getting all the staples and being a premium product was a bit pricey for that purpose).

Additionally I'd like to thank you for your work in developing the Elite Trainer Box, it's obvious you've taken community feedback seriously.

As awesome as this product is, I find it unlikely they would release similar products outside of Japan. It could potentially affect sales of booster boxes, since it would be a better way of getting cards. I really wish something like this would be released outside Japan, but it seems too awesome. I'd bet that pre-orders of this product would be sold out fast if we ever got it. ETBs are the next best thing IMO

"Shut up and take my money!"

I like whoever made this survey!

wow, metal deck boxes. We haven't seen that since Ruby/Sapphire.

Problem with having these at prereleases is the amount of trainer boxes needing to be shipped to each release will be a lot more expensive. One Booster box can supply 6 while one ETB supplies only one person. It's a lot easier fitting in several booster boxes instead of 40-50 or so ETBs for a pre release.
They said the same thing about deck boxes but they made it so. Yes, the deck box had issues but this is something, if not something similar, that needs to be made so. Prereleases are one of the last events to be refreshed and their value cannot keep up with the changing times. We need more of a "let's make it so" attitude instead of a "Problem with..." attitude.

They said the same thing about deck boxes but they made it so. Yes, the deck box had issues but this is something, if not something similar, that needs to be made so. Prereleases are one of the last events to be refreshed and their value cannot keep up with the changing times. We need more of a "let's make it so" attitude instead of a "Problem with..." attitude.

the deckboxes for prereleases came unassembled, so shipped flat...so they took up next to no space in the shipping boxes. ETBs would be a different thing altogether...two booster boxes supply 9 prerelease players. a case of ETBs would be a lot larger and cover fewer players (my store told me a case of ETBs was 8, so going off that info...)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be closing the survey tomorrow. If you want to get your input in here this is your last chance!

"Shut up and take my money!"

As much as I wouldn't mind ETB as prerelease items, I think changing to that would be harder to pull off than it sounds. I still would just prefer having ETB to be every set, but rotate the item included with the packs. (Deckbox -> sleeves -> playmat...etc)

As much as I wouldn't mind ETB as prerelease items, I think changing to that would be harder to pull off than it sounds. I still would just prefer having ETB to be every set, but rotate the item included with the packs. (Deckbox -> sleeves -> playmat...etc)

I'm warming up to the idea of 4 per year as opposed to 2 per year as well. So maybe there should be a rotation of stuff in the Elite Trainer Box.

Playmat (the cloth/mousepad material kind) for February,
Deckbox (The plastic kinds) for May,
Sleeves for August,
90 Energy instead of 45 for November (10 of each type, as opposed to 5 of each type)

These 4 things don't exactly have to be in this exact order, as long all May releases have the exact same stuff, whether it be sleeves, deckbox, playmat, or energy.

If playmat can't cut it, because you'd have to redesign the box to be longer, then just alternate between plastic deck box and sleeves. But then again, if that were the case, then only 2 Elite Trainer Box releases should suffice, but it would be cool to do the 4 release method, and include playmat and extra energy as well.

maybe 5 each still but all foil? (daring to dream)

maybe the second set of 5 energy per type could be foil.

The problem now is the playmat. They would have to redesign the box to fit the playmat, and I don't know how that is going to work. It would mean the players guide, which I like the size and shape of, would have to change, and become smaller, like the size of the players guide for the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game Epic Collection, and that is the size of a pocket book.

I voted for to keep it the way it is with 2 releases per year, but seeing how MTG always releases fat packs every set, and there is a Primal Origins Deluxe Edition, I feel like I want an Elite Trainer Box every set because it follow suit of those two. Heck, throw in a 9th booster pack as well. Oh, don't forget the rulebook, you know, the thing we used to get with theme decks before Black and White came along?

For now, how about releasing an Elite Trainer Box for Flashfire, and then the set after that, to see what people say about it? If they had to release two per year, I'd rather have them release it in February and August, so release the Elite Trainer Boxes in February and August sets as it always has been, and just release another one in the May set, just to see the public reaction. If they hate it, then don't release them November 2014 and May 2015 and any following May and November, but if they love it, then release one in November 2014, after the one in August 2014, and continue to release one every set.

Also for starters, before doing anything too big, just include the theme deck playmat/rules sheet in it. After that, they can figure out how to do the cloth playmat for one of 4 Elite Trainer Boxes per year, and switch to the actual rulebook.

Again, this is the most important piece. An all holo preconstructed deck, containing pokemon from multiple sets, released in June, and a VS deck featuring EX cards as cover cards, with pokemon from multiple sets, tied with the movie, released in December, or whenever the movie was supposed to come out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back