Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

11th at Nats Dexter P

The Dark Toxicroak

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
I left friday morning with Shawn Josh and Dirk even though Dirk was taking a flight a little while after us. We arrive at the airport and meet up with Aaron and family as we are all on the same flight. A long time and a bazillion bad shows later we arrive in Toronto. We get to take a free shuttle to the airport and on the exact same shuttle as us is Karl and Ken which is cool I guess :p

Friday night is spent meeting people swimming lurking the lobby watching games and talking about what I expect the next day. I was telling everyone I expected Plox to be big but for some reason just disregarded it lol. Later in the night we went to Kelseys or something while Andrew and Gordon both gulped a pitcher and me and Gavin talked about how we would go to wonderland if we top 2'd lol.

Before the day I had basically decided I would play luxchomp but had no idea how I was going to play it. I finally decided I was brave enough for no techs other then mirror techs and consistancy lol. I filled out my list and went to play with Sharlenes Jumpluff and was happy I was able to beat it twice with 3-1 Chomp instead of 2-2.

I am not going to post my list because I feel making lists is pretty simple but I will post the minor changes my list had from a majority of luxchomp builds. I went 3-1 chomp with 2 premier ball over 2-2 with hopes it would better the mirror match. Looking back I would probably stick with 2-2 and maybe put in a draggy to help lol. The premier balls were nice though. Other then that I just kept it real consistent and there wasn't any techs other then the normal ones for luxchomp.

I got up registered made sure they knew I had 2 byes and then took some pictures. I then lost my camera freaked out and had to look for it lol. I went for breakfast eating only yogurt fruit and bacon everything else looked questionable. It was nice to eat something other then Harveys or Subway though. After eating I realize the camera is missing and try to find it Dirk being super smart goes to the front desk. He tells me to go and check it afterwards. They do have my camera but wont give it to me because I say it is black when apparently it is super dark blue >.>. They have to turn it on and either make a joke or really do see a picture of me in my boxers :lol: I couldn't find this picture though.

During my byes I freak about my deck choice talk to people do food runs for money and shower for the second time..... and finally the 3rd round starts and I am playing Bidier. I always seem to play people I know.... its weird really.

round 3 vs Bidier w/ Gardevoir

I start with ambipom and DCE and decide meh I will try to donk. He goes first doing 10 to evolve his ralts and I attach dce and do 40 while using collector or something to put an uxie in play I am not really sure. Basically I was setting up the Uxie X KO. He goes and decides he has to use darkness grace as he has nothing in his hand. I retreat and use one uxie to do 50. he levels up and tries to use telepass... spray. He psychic locks hoping I can't KO but I can with 80 from dragon rush. Its a lame win but I will take it lol.

3-0

I make a joke about how I have played 5 mins of pokemon all day :lol: A judge is amazed and asks what I am playing to learn I had 2 byes.

Round 4 vs Karl A w/ Luxchomp

This is a regionals top 2 rematch and I am hungry to win it. I might of stood a chance had I not on the second turn decided to cyrus for a power spray over an SP radar. I was thinking too far ahead and this left me with a basic garchomp unable to do anything other then EQ...... LAME. At one point I think I might be okay but I cyrus to find out both my psychic energy are prized lol...

3-1

Oh well I can take one loss... maybe 2 maybe even 3

Round 5 vs James Neuman With Luxchomp ERL

I know James is good but I also saw him play this deck last night making tons of misplays. Unfortunately for me this isn't the case this game and I am suprised over how different he is playing today. I think my 3 Garchomp actually helped this game. Prizes go back and fourth and he is able to set up both claydol and Uxie X drawing cards like mad. Where I just am top decking / managing between Cyrus. I take the lead and time is called on my turn. We are told we aren't allowed to give him another turn or anything until we sign the slip. I am not allowed to choose to give him more time to come back / not feel like a jerk .... awesome. Thankfully he makes it in despite going 4-3... sick. We finish the game and since he brought my Brongzong active and flash impacted it I was able to KO it with galactic switch after using it once before. Which allowed me to aarons for it and my Chomp x use galactic switch again to move my energy from Ambipom attach and snipe ftw.

4-1

Winning on time like that is dumb at least it ended up not mattering because he still made top cut :)

Round 6 vs Bin w Kingdra Champ
This round makes me feel awesome he mullegans to show me a kingdra which makes me happy that I started with a luxray. He goes first says crap and passes only to have me collector for either a bat or lucario and attach a DCE.

5-1

He asks if I want to play again and I would of loved too but we werent having breaks and this would be my only time to eat. In between the rounds I have to listen to Julian complain forever about his bad luck or something and then he tells me to get a new phone lol.

Round 7 vs Jason L w Cursegar.

I start with such a sick hand. Chatot DCE garchomp C garchomp X collector cyrus. He starts with a tomb. We are talking about my ratings and stuff and he says he already made top cut at this point and if he lost it wouldnt be a big deal. I say lets play it out lol. Anyways I know cursegar I played it at oregon states and I know if you let it get set up it wrecks SP. For some reason I opt to setting up myself figuring I can make it work / maybe I will win just by chatter locking. Anyways I play way too passive he sets up and just wrecks me. I could of t2'd sniped before he got to evolve to Gengar. I have no idea why I didn't. I guess a guy can always dream he will get a win via chatter lol.

5-2. SO I am pretty sure I am done for ratings now lol. At least I have made top cut and that was the main plan anyways. Without byes I am 3-2 though which sucks :/looking at ratings had I won the last round I would of had it if I dropped after beating larabee or won top 32 then lost to Zach rofl.. Losing to players with low rating ... :(

Either way I am playing Omar in top cut and I find out everyone I played all day made top cut.... that seems to always happen. I swear at the grinder 5-6 players I played made it through o_O. I find out that Omar is playing Luxchomp but hasnt played it ever since today. I also find out not to over look him as he is a legit ygo player. He tells me he lost twice but only because someone circled win when they lost lol. Pretty legit your first day of luxchomp.

Top 32 vs Omar

Game 1
I make sure he knows how top cut works and talk to him about ygo. He tells me he won something the size of nationals and I ask him whether or not he feels ygo is a better game and such. We talk about the similarities between ygo and magic and are having fun. At some point I think he realizes I am going to win but chooses not to forfeit to try and learn. I went first using call. He went second and called. I snipe a chomp and he called again I think. I snipe another chomp. I don't remember everything but I win with him taking 2 prizes.

Game 2
He plays a lot better but it is similar to game 1. I am able to get a quick spray after going 1st. He figured going second was better in the mirror but that isn't always the case. I am able to snipe first level up first and that can be a huge advantage. Once both chomps hit the discard you might as well forfeit :/. He was a nice guy and I was glad to meet him. I wish him luck with YGO.

I find out Shawn lost in top 8 and went to bed :(. To jacob lesage the eventually winner so thats not that bad. I also am told a majority of different things about who I am playing. Either Curtis Lyon or Zach lesage. At that point in time I thought I could beat either now I am not so sure lol. I lost to one and well Plox is always a hard match and Curtis made top 4.

Either way eventually I am told I am playing Zach. I am ecstatic to get the opportunity to play him and potentially knock him out of cut lol.

Top 16 vs Zach w/ His luxchomp list.

game 1
I go first starting with luxray and garchomp and attach a dce to chomp. He goes and tries to blitz for cards. He even asks if he can Aarons for nothing to draw more. I let him know you can't play a card if it fails. Either way he uxies for a bunch and passes. I bright look his chomp retreat level up earthquake. He draws thinks for a second and scoops ? lol.

Man I am feeling good lol. At this point I figure Zach is crazy nervous and just has no idea what is going on at all. I really thought at this point I would be in top 8 for Sure.

game 2
we draw and zach makes me go second which is actually smart. It might of benefited me had I had either a supporter or useful trainer. My hand is literally 6 Pokemon and a Poketurn and no I am not exaggerating lol. It isn't like one is chatot or a level X either. Unlike him I decide to stay in longer to see if I can come back or prevent him from taking 4. Once He has taken 3 and I know I can't stop him from taking at least 2 more I scoop

Game 3
I Start pretty perfectly thing game. Or at least I think I do. I am not sure if I went first or second and I know I chose. I start with Ambi and chomp and attach DCE to chomp. HE is able to bright look my chomp flash bite EQ it. I am left with nothing. I can aarons for my chomp x and a chomp but I need 2 chomp to be put in play at once because one will be sniped. I could of but my 3 Garchomp and Azelf were prized lol. Zach plays it right and retreats the Chomp X when I miss. This means I can never safely play a single chomp down. I can never rebuild and as a result I lose.

I was furious and I am sorry zach if your reading this. You deserved to be top 8 at least but I don't think you deserved to beat me to do it. It upset me that our match ended up being not a real match but that always seems to happen in luxchomp mirrors lol. Some mirror matches are intense but luck is always a factor in some sense. Gl at worlds bud

so with a 6-3 record my ratings dream is done my nationals run is done and its all over. I felt I deserved something with how sick my season was but I guess not. I get 4 packs and pull a crobat prime lol?

At least I get to cheer for Gordon now only to see him lose to cursegar. I know how much he worked compared to how much he usually does and he really deserved the win. I have never seen Gordon attend league more then once in a row other then before this years nationals. At least he got the trip.

So I lost 3 match 2 due to bad play and one due to lameness that is bound to happen once during a tournament... oh well.

Cursegar won nats lol. Sebastian lost to his only bad matchup and plox ruled everything. How unexpected. At least I called Jacob winning seniors correctly.

Props for nationals
Shawn top 8 with his own deck
Gordon getting a paid trip
All my opponents making top cut :)
Reed undefeating swiss
Jacob winning
Judging was legit this year
wayyy better venue
best run nationals I have ever been too
lurking the lobby in swim shorts
Watch Gordon and Andrew down a pitcher each the night before nationals lol
Talking to Gavin and Julian and Reed the night before
Tracy for buying me supper as a grad gift
tracy for cough drops
geoffrey for being at nats for once and bringing me cards even though I didnt use them thx
Dirk for being awesome letting me stay with him driving me to the airport and good discussion
James for being cool about the time out
Donking to go get food
getting my picture taken with the cowboy at the event? lol
getting to meet and talk to zach, jacob, kevin and I am sure other people I am forgetting
TONS MORE I AM SURE

Slops
Sharlene for missing cut because her opponent announce an attack adding after I play mesprit and use psychic bind and the judge allowing it lol
LAME TOP CUT I WANT EPICNESS LOL
Julian for whining at me a whole round almost lol
Cursegar winning out of nowhere?
Sebastian not getting the invite everyone knows he deserves
missing on rating :(
Shawn losing in top 8 and not 4 or 2.
Zach for beating me and then losing in top 8 :p At least make top 4 if your gonna beat me.

ALRIGHT now the ugly cup lol. I already decide on what I am playing before I leave. I put my decks together frantically before the event on the way in the rental car lol. It was a gong show especially with GPS sending us the wrong way and telling us to turn after passing turns ? It was hard to get there but we all pitch in for a rental. Thank you Reed and everyone else who offered and could of given me a ride if this wasn't the case :D.

My first deck was Honchkrow Toxitank with Glalie to beat donphan. It also had 1-1 chomp DCEs and Mewtwo. My second deck was Cursegar minus gengar plus Quagsire 1-1 chomp and DCES basically.

Both decks would be able to handle Donphan which allowed my sideboard to ignore it basically. My sideboard consisted of Rare Candy BTS, Luxray, Plus power and Uxie which ended up being up a very sick sideboard had I made cut lol.

Round 1 vs Sebastian. I opt for Honchkrow as I think it is better and sideboard general stuff as I have no clue what he or anyone is playing. He tosses an uxie out I toss nothing out. Anyways I find out quickly I should of flipped the luxray over rarecandy. He was even talking about Luxray the previous day man I feel like a tard. I am playing 9 energy in a 40 card deck and hit one. This is just awful I scoop

0-1 What a crummy start I now have to go 4-1 to make it :/ at least I know Crema will bring me up

Round 2 vs Bye
I get to lurk everyones decks and see how shuppet is being run. Remove 12 of your own cards then you have the most consistent list ever and use unown Z so you don't deck sick. I know that shuppet would be big hence plus power sideboarded.

round 3 vs Derreck? with Donphan
I play Honchkrow removing bts candy and uxie. He only has uxie in his donphan deck >.>. It is a healing version and with Skuntank g along with honchkrow snipes and minus 40 I eventually win. Didn't get to use glalie.

round 4 Dakota w Donphan / gliscor
I decide to use quagsire and flip luxray candy and uxie lol. He takes out uxie :/ man I suck at this. Quagsire wrecks donphan doing 100 then switch to a bat and eventually healing with chomp lol. I take 2-3 prizes and he scoops. We talk because we wanted to meet at Nats and didnt. I was glad to get to play him too bad it was so lame :/. We had some fun chats and I ask him whether or not he is going to drop. He tells me he isnt and thank goodness my resistance would of been awful with a bye and a drop.

3-1

Round 5 Reed w an Ugly deck

His deck was ridiculous. I am almost positive it was the most thought out and best ugly cup deck being played... It didn't help I chose the wrong deck :/. I am downpaired and pretty upset about it as I figure I am done regardless lol. He just wrecks me by sideboarding poketurn along with that he is plying the mightyena that wrecks basics and lumineon.... I literally can't do anything vs this deck. He could of won t1 if he was more ruthless too retreating to use poochyenas corner on my spiritomb. Anyways he is owning me and scoops so I can have a chance at the top. This was a really amazing thing to do for someone you just met. Reed is a stand up guy.

4-1

So I look at the standings and I am 4th unfortunately due to byes that didn't work out properly they have to give julian 2nd seed shafting everyone out and me to 5th. I think if it stayed normally I would of stood a chance at winning with the way my sideboard was but it didnt oh well lol. The bye kinda screwed my resistance :/.

SO i get 5th at least I get 5 packs of a good set and get some DCE communication and a ho oh top.

I stick around to see Sebastian win his trip to Hawaii which involved some of the most epic playing ever. He really deserved it, Afterwards we played Pokemon war which may be the best game ever.

Props for ugly
Terry for running
Harvey I think for Judging and talking to me?
Meeting Dakota
Reed for being ridiculously nice
and having the coolest deck I saw.
Watching all the cool ideas
Pokemon war.
Talking to Curtis and Geneses.
Having fun

Slops
too little people showing up to a tournament with a trip to Hawaii on the line to have a top 8... CMON
Being stupid 1st round vs Sebastian
5th :p
All in all nationals was fun not what I expected but awesome in its own way. I would of liked to do better but there will always be next year ;)

Last edited:
Ouch... lol

I know exactly what you are saying though, I really wanted to beat Curtis in the top 4 but, stuff happens sometimes right? You had a good run and it is unfortunate we had to battle in the top 16. You are right that LuxChomp mirrors aren't always tough but, I can assure younthat I know you to play mirror when I get a half-decent hand. Again, sorry we had to battle but, I think we were both screwed had remade the top 8. We almost definitely would've battled PLOX (can go either way but, the builds were tough) and depending on who you played, the tournament would've been pretty much over. Again, it was nice meeting you and you are a good player.

good job buddy, this is the beginning of many other national tops cut to come in the future :D don't feel too about :p

congrats!! , nice meeting you (this is curtis btw)
make sure you practice pokemon war back in alberta, cause next nationals we will have even more rules for you guys

<3 thanks dexter for listening, i DID apologize for the excessive whining but i was on tilt which rarely ever happens.

also, get a new phone =D

Man... I almost made top cut at the last BR's I went to, but due to nervousness, I attached my expert belt to the wrong person and that move alone cost me the game... Things happen.

great report dexter!

i guess it's time to start practicing for grinder...

ps: i added you on msn ages ago and never saw you on lol
see you at league some times

holla

Good run bud, sorry I couldn't be there for the moral support but :/ Top 8 looked like you could probably get somewhere, but it wasn't meant to be. all good. next year hopefully school won't take over your life, or maybe it will, either way all good, we'll still rock the pokemon world

Last edited:
Ouch... lol

I know exactly what you are saying though, I really wanted to beat Curtis in the top 4 but, stuff happens sometimes right? You had a good run and it is unfortunate we had to battle in the top 16. You are right that LuxChomp mirrors aren't always tough but, I can assure younthat I know you to play mirror when I get a half-decent hand. Again, sorry we had to battle but, I think we were both screwed had remade the top 8. We almost definitely would've battled PLOX (can go either way but, the builds were tough) and depending on who you played, the tournament would've been pretty much over. Again, it was nice meeting you and you are a good player.

I disagree. My deck was built way better to handle plox lol. Chatot would of been key. Bronzong would of been nice once they break the lock and also not having 4 sp radars vs Spiritomb would of been nice ;).

good job buddy, this is the beginning of many other national tops cut to come in the future :D don't feel too about :p

Thanks :p At least I hope so. I bombed the other nationals so at least this is better then that

congrats!! , nice meeting you (this is curtis btw)
make sure you practice pokemon war back in alberta, cause next nationals we will have even more rules for you guys

Lol it should be tradition to play that game after nats. It was awesome gl at worlds.

Way to rep t16 with me :lol: Nice meeting you man, however it was not nice meeting your quagsire gl:nonono:

I guess I just got lucky vsing a Donphan deck lol.
<3 thanks dexter for listening, i DID apologize for the excessive whining but i was on tilt which rarely ever happens.

also, get a new phone =D

Yeah I really do need a new phone. I don't even remember why you were tilted. OH well I still <3 you. See you sometime this upcoming year hopefully.

Great job Dexter, well if your heading to worlds good luck bro!
Thanks but I am thinking of missing a grand to grind seems sucky.

Good job Dexter! Too bad ya didn't get further.

Thank you lol.

Nice job Dexter! T16 is still a good end to the year.

t16 is alright lol. I wouldn't consider it good tbh especially at Canadian nationals. I was going for top 4 or a ratings invite I whiffed both so fail lol but thank you.

great report dexter!

i guess it's time to start practicing for grinder...

ps: i added you on msn ages ago and never saw you on lol
see you at league some times

I haven't seen you on either do you have my email right?

holla

Good run bud, sorry I couldn't be there for the moral support but :/ Top 8 looked like you could probably get somewhere, but it wasn't meant to be. all good. next year hopefully school won't take over your life, or maybe it will, either way all good, we'll still rock the pokemon world

Yeah we need to own up all the cities again :p

WaY tO Go DuDe. YoU dId An EpIc JoB lOlZ.

~jAcOb

ThAnKS jAcOb?

I was waiting for you to finish your report.

I KNEW you'd props War best game ever! You should play Dice Poker, Calling Munchlax or Charizard,Blastiose, Venasaur. All the small games to pass time inbetween rounds. They're the greatest.

I can't believe you didn't props my match up against Junior right beside you in round 7. Should've stuck around for the ending it was SO EPIC. :tongue:. Long story short, had to go to sudden death because of fainting spell. Whiffed on the Kingdra prime for a Uxie expert belt donk on his horsea, his turn BTS to Seadra, Judge into a Uxie for a Kingdra Expert Belt to Donk me. We were annoying as heck weren't we :wink:

Sebastian may have had my number and the end of the weekend (beating me in round 5 and and me misplaying at Ugly), but I truly believe I was playing BDIF if I just listened to Koo and put that stupid unown G in my deck.

Congrats on your top 16 finish, you're reputation in the Pokemon community just keeps getting better and better.

Good job Dexter. You need to to good next year so when I come to Masters I will dominate. JK You will always do very good because you are a very good player

thanks geneses LOL actually now that I think of it I may put that into my slops :p... god that match was ridiculous.

I guess we will see Aaron. The more competition the better and thaank you lol.

ALSO yes war was the best thing ever despite me not getting to play for very long.

Back