Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st place masters Canoga Park, Ca Battle Roads

inreverie

Hey everyone, my name is gilbert,im from Orange County, Ca. i play in the masters division and have been playing competitively for a little under a year. Canoga Park was my second battle roads (The first being in costa mesa at MAJESTIX), where i barely missed top cut, placing 6th. I played Gyrados the week before, and there was a ton of Reshiram/Emboar. i was 1 of 2 Gyrados playing that day. Seeing as to there was a bunch of reshiram/emboar the week before i had a feeling there would be a lot of Gyrados for week 2 of battle roads, but i still felt comfortable playing Gdos. Did some play testing the day before against my brothers Vilegar (gyrados' worst nightmare), Kenny's Gyrados disruption (w/giratina PL(let loose), Cyrus Initiative), and Oscar's Gyrados but with Exeggcutor LA(psychic strategy). With decent testing results I felt a little more comfortable stepping into mirror match if i had to the next day.

I wake up early so i can get some food in my stomach before the tourny. Dennys was an excellent choice for breakfast. Rudy and i met up with oscar, kenny and kristy around 9:15 to start making our drive toward Canoga Park. We arrived at Collectors Paradise, a half hour before registration started. Turns out you had to pre-register for the event so i was kind of worried i wouldnt make it in since there was limited space. Im glad we arrived early. While i was registering i noticed the name William Hung above my name. I looked up and guess who it was......The master himself, William Hung from American Idol!!! BROKEN!!!!!! While in the parking lot waiting for the event to get started, i was kinda worried i was going to do horrible. anyway we'll get on with this report.....

The List:
POKEMON
4 Magikarp SF
3 Gyrados SF
4 Sableye SF
2 Crobat G PL
2 Uxie LA
1 Azelf LA
1 Unown Dark UD
1 Unown Q MD
1 Regice LA
1 Mesprit LA
1 Ditto LA

T/S/S
3 Broken Time Space
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Seeker
3 Junk Arm
4 Super Scoop Up
2 Pokemon Rescue
4 Poke Drawer +
3 Pokedex Handy
3 Poke Turn
1 Twins
1 Professor Juniper
1 Warp Point
1 Expert Belt
1 Luxury Ball

Energy
2 Special Dark
2 Warp Energy
2 Rescue Energy

Canoga Park Battle Roads
i believe there was 32 master or more
4 rounds swiss
top cut: 4

and before i start, sorry if i dont post my opponents names, i do not remember them....

Round 1 v.s ???? with Loxchomp
i dont remember much from this match besides misplaying a ton and almost losing the match. we both start sableye, but i won the coin flip.i didnt have much in my hand from what i do recall. i couldnt donk either cause he had a garchomp out as well. i just impersonate for collector to start getting some karp in the discard pile turn 2. toward the end of the game i used mesprits poke power psychic bind to prevent him from using poke powers. i guess he "forgot" and he tried to flash bite and set his bat down. we ended up having to call a judge because he said he forgot that i used mesprits power. judge ruled in my favor and he had to leave his bat down. he couldnt knock out my gyrados in the end and thanks to warp point i took the win. Talk about a CLOSE game.
1-0

Round 2 v.s Nikolas P. with Emboar, Forettress
there wasn't much to this game. we both start sableye. i won the coin flip AGAIN!!! i have a crobat, dark energy and a collector in my hand. he started with sableye and azelf. i get 2 karp in the discard pile, psychic bind and knock out his sableye turn 1. he proceeds and sets down uxie trying to set up but he forgets i used psychic bind. leaving his azelf active he passes. i top deck an uxie set up and get seeker and luxury ball. i grabbed g dos with luxury ball, used seeker, retreat my sableye and knock out his azelf with my belted gyrados. game. didnt get to see much of his deck until after our official match. we played a game for fun and saw he was using shuckle, emboar and forettres.
2-0

Round 3 v.s Javier S. with Luxchomp
i dont even want to talk about this match up. it was horrible. i got slaughtered. not just that but i received a prize penalty for not putting a prize back when i used time walk with azelf. i had 1 magikarp and regice prized. he power sprayed my time walk twice. i lost the game by 3 prizes. Big disappointment.
2-1

Round 4 v.s Oscar M. (why did i have to play my friend in the final round)
This was either of our last chance to maybe make it to top cut. luckily i played oscars deck the day before so i knew what he was playing. MIRROR MATCH!!!! dont remember much about this match either but i was ahead on prizes for a bit. He caught up and got his exeggcutor set up and disrupted my hand so bad. i ended up with no cards in my hand and he got a whole new fresh hand of 8 -_-. i draw for my turn and i draw a crobat. i knock out his exeggcutor with tail revenge and got a prized super scoop up. i was thinking to pick up uxie my next turn. oscar kept trying to super scoop up his mesprit, uxie or damaged gdos. LUCKY for me, he flipped all tails. we also had a series of 2 or 3 turns of warp energy+seeker to heal our gdos and tail revenge again. it came down to the last prize for each of us. i had 4 or 5 cards left before i decked out.i top deck pokedex handy, use it and get another pokedex handy and a pokedrawer +. i know the next card HAS to be expert belt. put back pokedex handy, used poke drawer + and grab the expert belt. i attach the belt, I have 2 poke turns, flash bite twice, tail revenge for 110 to knock out his gyrados! GG! epic battle. it was a very very very close game, and i was sweating it.
3-1

now, it's time to wait and see what the final standings are. my friend kenny had definitely made it to top cut going 4-0. and the other 3 spots were to be determined. i was starving at that point. the judge posts the results and kenny rudy and oscar let me know i made it to top cut. i was so happy. it was my first event to top cut in. Kenny made top cut with Sabledonk, Nicole V. with Gyrados, Javier with Luxchomp and me with Gyrados. so top cut was Kenny v.s Nicole and i got to have a rematch with javier. i was nervous about facing javier again, but stoked i made it to top cut. we start the matches.

Top 4 v.s Javier S.
round 1: this game ended early. i had a really good starting hand and gyrados out turn 2. turn 4 he scoops cause he doesnt draw into much.
4-1

Round 2: again i have a really good starting hand. this game goes a while longer than the first match and javier draws into 0 supporters. he scoops again.
5-1

WHAT!!!! NO WAY!!!! I made it to top 2!!!!!

and unfortunately kenny lost his match by 10 damage that he needed to place on an azelf.

so here we are. top 2. MIRROR MATCH again whaaaaaaat!

i feel a little more comfortable playing a mirror match than a luxchomp.

TOP 2 v.s Nicole P
Round 1: There was really nothing to this match. i start with regice to her sableye. she gets everything she needs for the donk.
5-2

Round 2: i choose to go first, we both start sableye. this was a good game, thats all i remember. at this point my head was pounding. i needed food. i got ahead in prizes and tried not to misplay. it worked.
6-2

Round 3: she chooses to go first. she starts with uxie to my magikarp and unown q. she uses dual ball to grab sableye, and uses another dual ball to grab a crobat i believe. she collectors for q, uxie and a crobat. i started to panic. she flash bites my q, poke turns and flash bites again. i was thinking to myself " i hope she doesnt put the other crobat down. she attaches a dark energy to sableye so she can definitely knock out my active karp. just 10 more damage on my q and she has the game. she started debating whether she wanted to put down her second bat, but she decides to put down uxie instead! i was relieved but she was setting up for 4 and i was just hoping she wouldnt get another poke turn. thankfully she didnt. she knocks out my karp and i send q active. i set down regice, collector for 2 karp and an uxie. after that it was all magic. i set up for 7 got a whole new fresh hand. all kinds of shinanigans happens during my turn, and i had a twins in my hand so i passed to next turn i can grab a rescue energy and a gdos. she has a full bench and cant set up a gdos. she impersonated for seeker to free up bench space which worked out for me so i can use uxie for set up again on my turn. i proceeded to do so and use twins. im able to start tail revenging, and psychic bind with mesprit to keep her from using any pokepowers especially regice's regimove to get her karp in her discard pile. she passes and im able to get heads on super scoop up 4 or 5 turns in a row and seeker for mesprit to psychic bind. i was down to my last prize and she had 5. i belted my gdos(which you should NEVER do in a mirror, and the only reason i did was to get rid of cards so i can set up with uxie for more cards) and i let her knock it out.i send crobat active, and i used collector to grab ditto, unown dark, and a sableye. i had rescue energy attached to my gyrados so it went back to my hand. i placed ditto on my bench and used regimove to discard my gyrados and my last karp.i poke turn crobat and send out ditto, flash bite her gyrados and tail revenge for 120. perfect knock out. GG.
7-2

I won my first battle roads!!!! i got a victory milk shake (thanks kristy) along with my victory medal. i had a lot of fun and im glad i was able to make it, despite me missing church.

PROPS:
oscar giving kenny, rudy, kristy and i a ride (Thank you so much)
being in the presence of william hung(amazing! he should have been the winner of battle roads.)
kenny's good luck mat!!!!
continuously flipping heads on super scoop up and coin flips to decide who goes first =)
Ditto and mesprit for being MVP's!!!(most valuable pokemans XD)
My first Victory Medal
Shakeys!!!!!!

SLOPS
the massive headache i had.
being hungry.
not placing a prize back when using azelf's time walk -_-
not remembering much of my matches haha

Thanks

Last edited:
Back