Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st Place Masters Game Cafe, Independence, MO Battle Roads

Hammertime

So I show up and after making sure that my deck is legal unlike at Collector's Cache. I guess it's not good to have an illegal deck that doesn't match up with your deck list. Who knew? I proceed to help a bunch of people improve their crappy decks so that they may take a prize or two against the Kansas players. I also write their deck lists because they don't listen the weeks beforehand that they'll need them. There is 17 players and Top 4 cut for Masters. I use Luxchomp with of all things Starmie LA for Donphan and Mewtwo. And I face neither.

Round 1 vs. New Kid from A to Z with Tangrowth LV.X, Leafeon LV.X and Cherrims

He says he just started playing recently but has been collecting since Base Set. My starting hand has Luxray, Uxie, Baltoy, Claydol, DCE and, Cyrus's Conspiracy. I tell him to use Claydol and Uxie but he declines.

1-0

Round 2 vs. New Kid that goes to Oak Park according to his shirt with slightly modified Steelix starter deck.

I saw an Unleashed Misdreavus and wondered how he won. He said he got the bye. I proceed to Flash Impact with my hand that had Luxray LV.X and Pokemon Collector among other really good stuff. After the match he asks for deck help as he said he had been collecting since Base Set like Round 1 but unlike him, he listens to the advice that I give him. Hopefully he comes back soon as he seem pretty smart and I need more quality opponents on a regular basis at Game Cafe.

2-0

Round 3 vs. A to Z kid with Magnezone, Manectric, Entei and Raikou Legend and, Rapidash AR.

If I go second, I can donk with Uxie, energy, Sp Radar and two Poke Turn. I go first and he Rare Candies into the Magnezone that can search for a Metal or Electric Pokemon get the other Legend piece and benches an Electrike. He starts attacking with Magnezone and knocks out Luxray LX.X with its first attack because I didn't notice that he had an Expert Belt. This was even worse on my part as I had a Poke Turn and could have Healing Breathed ;( Despite killing his Baltoy, He proceeds to draw well and gets out a Claydol that I sprayed and KO after it was stuck active awhile due to Bright Look. He then gets Ponyta and evolves himself to Rapidash. I forgot he played this despite seeing him use it the game next to me Round 1. I Psychic Restore him with Uxie to get a bench spot. Several turns he doesn't attack because he has it active while I snipe around it. I get down to one prize to his 5 with Rapidash active and proceed to Flash Bite 4 times plus another Psychic Restore for the win. He says that next turn he could have attached to Entei and Raikou Legend for 5 prizes and the game.

3-0

Round 4 vs. Ken with G/G

I get a good start besides the lone Bronzong G start and have Luxray LV.X and Collector and Cyrus in hand going first. He starts with Unown G and thinks about trying for the T2 Hidden Power win. He decides to Bebe's Search for Spirtomb. Crap. I can't Poke Turn and get going with my really good hand of Sprays and such. Ten million turns later I decide to attach to retreat, wasting 2 of my 5 Electric energies. He retreats with the Moonlight Stadium he had from T2ish to Kirlia PT, Belts and Teleportation Burts into Spirtomb for the KO. I Bright Look a Claydol and Poison Revenge it so that it dies going into my turn. He has another Claydol from the million turns of Spirtomb lock that I keep Spraying. I don't have much going on but stay in it because of him drawing nothing. He attacks with the Belted Kirlia from before that is now a Platinum Gardevoir and KOs Azelf. I Bright Look Claydol and try to kill it like the first one. Ken has a Roseanne's Research and a Psychic energy attached to the Gardevoir that he Psychic Connects. He asked me if I wanted to spray and I ask himif it was an as much as you like power. LOL.

It gets hazy from here about how it went down but this what I remember for sure: I have to sac Crobat G and Baltoy but I do it in the wrong order. In the hopes of getting Claydol and using the heart of the cards, I send up Crobat after a Warp Point first and thus I lose a KO on a Claydol and Spirtomb as I had to use Aaron's Collection the turn before to get the energies wasted on Bronzong to even attack. I finally KO the Belted Gardevoir with Garchomp LV.X after almost not attacking because I thought I wouldn't knock it out. It's one to two prizes and he finally gets the SW Gardevoir turn million. He Telapasses and checks for a Roseanne's Research and time is called. He's like "What?" and I tell to just pass and win. So he does.

3-1

At this point I'm thinking thank you fellow Game Cafe people for being their for Top 4 minimum. Then I think it won't matter because the worst resistance ever. This is because Ken and Round 3 are the only opponents I had that had a winning record.

Round 5 vs. A to Z guy (Pokedex on the gym?) with Kingdra and Luxray hate

He's wearing a shirt that says he's on the Gym so that's good for something I guess. He starts with Horsea to my Azelf. I go first and call to his Belted UL Seadra that does 40 and 20 to Luxray. I aim retreat and Level up after Pokemon Collectering. I try to burn as many cards as possible to Set Up and of course leave no bench for myself. Luckily he lets me take it back and I rip the Energy Gain on the last game. He has nothing from there as he whiffed on the Kingdra off the 5ish card Set Up from last turn. He gets a LA Kingdra out later but I only had 2 prizes left so he Super Scoops Up FTL. He says that he runs Relicanth and Mespirt to beat my deck but it didn't work this time.

So Swiss is over and I think I make it no problem but then I remember my resistance and I at the time I thought Round 3 had sucked it up. (I found out he went 3-2) I trade random stuff and get 2 RH Cyrus's Conspiracy and 1 RH Sp Radar. I also trade for a RH Judge and Ninetails. Hooray for old RH basics. I sneak in as the 4th seed and I turn in my deck and hear rumblings about something and assume it's me, as at this very tournament last year because there was a fingernail mark on my one Skuntank G. And that at Collector Cache two weeks prior I managed to have 5 Pokemon Collecter in my deck and no Luxury Ball in addition to an unlisted Psychic Energy and only 3 Power Spray. Hello Game Loss.

While this going on, Jack tells me about my opponent's deck as it was his only loss and he wanted to play me. It might also have to do with the fact that he had worked on a deck to beat Luxchomp. And his deck has no Fainting Spell outs besides switching into a Belted Uxie with a 4 retreat cost main attacker active that
has its own Belt if he wants to risk it. His brother and Team Weakling chant for my victory after circling around me creepy like. Thanks for the support I guess.

It turns out that my deck wasn't the only one with problems, as 3/4 of Masters Top Cut was penalized along with 1/2 of Seniors. Mine was that in the two weeks since they were last deck checked two weeks ago, my Luxray LV.X, both Garchomp LV.Xs, Ambipom G, Toxicroak G and like 3 other cards had warped/bent and were noticeable through the new sleeves. Prize penalty it is.

Top 4 vs. Caleb with Cursegar

Game 1

We both start at 5 prizes. I call to give me something like an active Luxray with a benched one and Garchomp or something. He gets a Claydol up that Bright Look and Flash Impact for the KO. He has a self-damaged Spirtomb that gets sent back up while he has a one energized Cursegar and a no energy
Haunter. I Dragon Rush the Haunter while he still has nothing. He finally Rare Candies into his Dusknoir to Dark Palm my Baltoy as I had I like 15ish cards left in my deck. To bad for him that I started with a Looker's and had 2ish prizes left. I KO a Spirtomb to put it at 1-5 and up comes one of the two Mr. Mimes he started with.
He Shadow Skips for like the second time all game back into it. I Flash Bite it 3 times for game as I had previously Dragon Rushed it.

Game 2

He gets the early Spirtomb and I get Staryu. This lets me draw 3 beacuse of Darkness Grace into Claydol. T2 I just tear through him with Ambipom G’s (awesome card) Snap Attack. I Dragon Rushing his Claydol after spraying it 2-3 times and setting other attacking methods. The funny thing is that like all the other Spirtomb users, he kept asking permission to Cosmic Power when they had Spirtomb active. I believe he takes one prize card before I win as I never let him set up and he never Belted because evidently he doesn’t like giving up free prizes. The only notable thing about this game is that he used Azelf’s Lock Up when I have one prize left with a active energyless Garchomp C LV.X. I luck into a Poke Turn and Trash Bolt for the win. He asks why I jumped through all the hoops when I could have retreated. I point out Lock Up’s effect.

Jack wins against Ken and thus it’s deck vs. counter deck.

Top 2 vs. Jack with Torterra UL / Ninoqueen dec.

I was looking forward to this match, as my other games versus him was a T2 Garchomp LV.X to his Unown G and a T2 of my Garchomp. At least I didn’t have to worry about being donked (I thought.)

Game 1

Since its almost a week later, I only remember that I Bright Look/Flash Impact a Baltoy among other things at the start. Misplay of this game goes to me when I Flash Bite the active Spirtomb that had one damage counter already. I do this so I can be cute and Bite for the KO and not take 30 for Flash Impact. Except that Spirtomb has 60 HP. He gets to get a Torterra out because I can’t do math. I redeem myself by Tail Coding a DCE and Grass to Claydol that I Dragon Rush right after. Jack try’s to bait out my Spray on a Cosmic Power so that he could get Torterra LV.X through Time Walk and it would have worked if I didn’t draw into one previously. The things was that the previous turn he had Roseanne’s Researched for it. Hurray for luck. I get down to 2 prizes and Jack has one Grass Energy on his Torterra and a Ninoqueen. With somewhere around half the time gone, Jack scoops and it’s on to Game 2.

Game 2

I let his Claydol live for awhile while taking other cheap prizes while Power Spraying it. This is a bad idea because he sacs a Spirtomb just so he can Cosmic for 3 and Set Up for 2. Strangely enough he likes to use Powers, weird I know. He gets his Torterra active, E-Belted and I try Tail Code antics because Spirtomb needed energy. And then he top decks a DCE with no Claydol left and I’m in trouble. He uses the second attack for the KO and I bring up something that free retreats. I bench Toxicroak G, attach and E-Gain for Poison Revenge so that I can hopefully get some Poison damage in. Only problem is that he Levels Up.

The high point of the tournament is when he then plays Switch so that he can “remove poison.” Everyone points out that it was already removed and proceeds to make fun of the move for the rest of the game. Knowing that I had no hope, I drag the game out through Poke Turn, Healing Breath and Bright Looking Claydol. Time is called and it’s 4 to 1. Time for SUDDEN DEATH.

Sudden Death

I go first with the following: Luxray, 2 Electric Energies, Crobat, SP Radar, Aaron’s Collection and some other worthless card. I pray to Arcues that Luxray LV.X isn’t prized, attach and pass. Jack Pokemon Collector’s for an Uxie, Baltoy and Ninoran while starting Turtwig. Rare Candy into SF Torterra a.k.a. Luxray killer, benches Uxie, Baltoy and Ninoran, Sets Up for 4ish and whiffs on the Crash Impact Donk. He attaches and passes. I draw another worthless card, attach, SP Radar and Bright Look/Flash Impact Ninoran FTW.

I get my 4 packs, pull Steelix Prime :/ Entei & Raikou Legend butt, and my second Lanturn out of 6 packs of this set. Ugh. I trade the Legend for a Kingdra and Tyranitar Prime (the players in Game Café love it) and then Charlene says it’s the last card she needs from the set. Bwahha.

Props:
Defending my title
Top 4
Getting more shiny cards
Good players making Top Cut
Torterra for being awesome
Ambipom G for being crazy useful
Attacking with Staryu
Checking my discard pile to make sure I didn't play more than 5 Sprays
You reading this essay of a report

Slops:
All my God starts against not so good decks
No more Claydols come September
Spirtomb having 60 HP

If anyone wants my list, just ask.

Last edited:
Your round 3 opponent was from A to Z not Kansas, He came with Pete Grigsby I think. Also your first top cut opponent's name was Caleb not Carl. Team Weakling was just giving you some moral support though so you'd beat Caleb then you beat Jack so it was for not, But Congratulations. could you PM me your list by the way?

Congrats on the win Zach =) Great games in top 2 (except for that dumb ambipom thing). Hope to see you at Baldwin tomorrow! <3 Torterra

I have to admit that Ambipom is my only out if you get set up. The deck is beast and made for Expert Belt. It hence forth will be called Ninja Turtle because of this and the random Japanese flag in the background. Every good deck has a nickname. And it's a good thing that you brought up Baldwin, because I thought it was on Sunday.

Back