Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

1st Place Professor Cup Report

PokeWisconsin

After a whole year of doing little but judging tournaments I was excited to play in the Professor Cup. It was my second time playing in the event. The night before Pooka and I brainstormed a few ideas, eventually coming up with Hariyama ex and Vaporeon ex as a good 30 card deck. After revising it a few times it came out something like this:

2 Makuhita DS
2 Hariyama ex
2 Eevee DS
2 Vaporeon ex
1 Holon's Magneton
1 Mew ex
2 Master Ball
2 Copycat
2 Prof. Elm's Training Method
2 Mary's Request
1 Strength Charm
2 Energy Removal 2
2 Multi Energy
7 Fighting Energy

Knock off was amazing, as was the Poke-body. Vaporeon ex was really helpful against those Rhyperior decks, which I faced plenty of. In fact, I battled Rhyperior the first 5 rounds! My one loss was against Colin, who was able to deck me despite using Evolutionary Swirl twice early. Also, I couldn't get my Hariyama ex out fast enough.

For the 2v2 portion of the tournament I used a standard Infernape. Nothing special about it for the 2v2. I faced a Metadrag in T16, JohnnyBlaze with his Salamence/Altaria/Vaporeon ex in T8, Mike with a Mewtric/Snorlax in T4, and Tim's Delta in T2. Out of those the hardest matchup was Johnny's deck because he played all water plus Battle Frontier and Vaporeon ex for the power.

I had a blast playing the 2v2s because it was different from the normal modified format we always play. It seemed a bit more balanced than the 30 card, which seemed to be dominated by Rhyperior and Latios/Latias. In the future I would like to see POP support the 2v2 format, maybe have Battle Roads be 2v2 format. It's a low value tournament that would be perfect to introduce a new format in.

Props to all the judges that helped make the tournament enjoyable for all us hard working Pokemon Professors. Props to all the Professors who work hard all year to put on events for their players to enjoy. I'll see you all next year!

Last edited:
Hey give credit where its due lol....that mew ex tech was my recommendation lol...I feel dumb that I didn't decide to go through with using the deck, but I'm glad one of us made it all the way!! Congrats Eric, you deserved it!!!:thumb:

CMT

I knew you would win! Hariyama FTW. I still think you should've played the Umbreon*, though...

Congrats dude, and enjoy the Wii. You deserve it for all the time you've spent judging this year!

Good job man you deserved it 100% for stepping up to make Pastimes still exist as a Pokemon store.

You are not only an accomplished player but one of the top players and professors out there.

Congrats

A note about Eric from the main event.

I played him with a Gengar/Shedinja deck. I was ahead as time was winding down and I had 2 prizes left to his 3.

I used Gengar to pick off a Skitty to take a 2 prize lead and Eric kills off something of mine (Dunsparce?) and time is called.

I look down and realize that the prize count is 2-2. I had forgotten to take my prize for Skitty.

I called the judge over and Eric said that I had forgotten to take the prize and he would allow me to do so - giving himself the loss.

Obviously no one is happy doing that, but Eric never hesitated and I was very impressed.

Congratulations on your win Eric. You're a good guy and this game needs more people like you.

Oh yeah...He's been judging like crazy this season, so I would expect anything less, so I think he deserved it alot more than any other player/judge this season!!! Congrats!!!

CMT

A note about Eric from the main event.

I played him with a Gengar/Shedinja deck. I was ahead as time was winding down and I had 2 prizes left to his 3.

I used Gengar to pick off a Skitty to take a 2 prize lead and Eric kills off something of mine (Dunsparce?) and time is called.

I look down and realize that the prize count is 2-2. I had forgotten to take my prize for Skitty.

I called the judge over and Eric said that I had forgotten to take the prize and he would allow me to do so - giving himself the loss.

Obviously no one is happy doing that, but Eric never hesitated and I was very impressed.

Congratulations on your win Eric. You're a good guy and this game needs more people like you.

that's heart baby, heart. something we WI players have a lot of

congrats Eric, interested in selling your Wii?

WTG on the victory. It was a well earned victory. As 'Pop said, it was good to see a regular judge win the Prof. Cup.

Keith

Back