Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2 regionals prize payout questions

Lucario-Master

1st Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 1st Place medal
A Travel Award for the winner (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2011 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*
A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
10 Championship Points

This is the prize payout for 1st place at regionals from the pokemon website,

1.There is no money now, REALLY!?!?!
I want a damn good explanation to why the scholarships were cut.

2. It is saying that you get a trip to Canadian or US nationals, so if a Canadian goes down to US regionals
and wins will they get a trip to Canadian Nationals? The same for US players going up to Canada.

1. They doubled the regionals so they probably had to cut spending in one area, and that area just happened to be scholarships.

You obviously didn't read the whole page, because this quote is just a little farther down.

2.* Non-U.S. residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the U.S. National Championships, as the U.S. Nationals are open to U.S. residents only. Non-Canadian residents are not eligible to collect a Travel Award or travel allowance to the Canadian National Championships, as the Canadian Nationals are open to Canadian residents only. If a non-resident wins a Regional Championship, the Travel Award or travel allowance will pass down to the next eligible resident. All other prizes will be awarded to the actual winner of the event.

This actually made me laugh out loud. The sense of entitlement that some players have for the prizes they earn for a tournament that is free to enter is laughable.

Also, they did not double the regionals, just split them in half.
Posted with Mobile style...

This actually made me laugh out loud. The sense of entitlement that some players have for the prizes they earn for a tournament that is free to enter is laughable.

Also, they did not double the regionals, just split them in half.

The fact that you think im going to spend a good amount of money and not have a change at winning some makes me laugh.
Pokemon needs to get people to play and how they do that is by offering good prizes for winning, take that away and 90% of the player base will quit.
I found out that its only for juniors and seniors so I'm not as freaked out now but i still think its very wrong.

So what you are saying is that the multi-hundred dollar prize package they are giving away at each regionals now just isnt enough to motivate you to play? Then don't play... It really isn't much more complicated thanthat, complaining isn't going to bring the scholarships back...

-DST

In b4 predictable "don't play if you don't like it" and "complaining isn't going to do anything" posts.

Oh wait, looks like I'm too late.

I asked about the travel awards because I agree that it's confusingly worded and got clarification:

The trips awarded at US Regionals are to the US Nationals Championship. If a non-US residents wins a Regional Championship the trip will pass down to the highest placing US Resident.

The reverse will be true when Regionals happen in Canada in the spring.

The rules for travel stipends have not been announced yet.

LOL, Play! Pokemon does not have to explain anything they don't want to. We once got money for Regs, now we don't, ITS A FREE TOURNAMENT, QUIT YOUR CRYING AND BE GRATEFUL FOR ONCE.

Because people obviously pay $35 for Yanmegas because they're shiny, not because they go in decks or anything. Seriously though this game is not free and it's best to realize that if prizes keep being cut there's no sense in paying hundreds of dollars for decks... and thus booster packs and boxes.

let me fix that for you.
"I want an explanation that serves only me as to why the scholarships were cut"

Now, they cut scholarships. Lets see...$7500 per regional. Now I am not sure as to how many Regionals there are in total, however, this cost is being allocated elsewhere.

All regionals are now 2 day events. So some of this cost is being given to the PTOs who have to now book their venues for 2 days instead of 1 for some places. Renting a convention center hall is NOT cheap, let alone for 2 days.

Also keep in mind, that P!P has suprised us in the past with some events, and the addition of VGC at regionals is a good idea in my book.

Whos to say that there may be a new tournament in the works for the players that would be using this extra money?

It was confirmed that the budget was not decreased, and that P!P is working with what they have to make our tournament year spectacular.

Because people obviously pay $35 for Yanmegas because they're shiny, not because they go in decks or anything. Seriously though this game is not free and it's best to realize that if prizes keep being cut there's no sense in paying hundreds of dollars for decks... and thus booster packs and boxes.

Ok, this whining is getting awful annoying. Let me clue you in on something. POKEMON IS NOT CHARGING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FOR DECKS. Pokemon never sees a penny of that $35.00 you just paid for whatever shiny card you bought. You're buying from the secondary market, not from Pokemon. The only $$$ that goes to Pokemon is when the retailer buys the sealed product. That's it!

Why SHOULD Pokemon offer huge prizes to offset the cost of your deck? Pokemon had nothing to do with how much your deck cost. In reality, Pokemon doesn't care how much you paid for your deck. They never will.

Ok, this whining is getting awful annoying. Let me clue you in on something. POKEMON IS NOT CHARGING HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS FOR DECKS. Pokemon never sees a penny of that $35.00 you just paid for whatever shiny card you bought. You're buying from the secondary market, not from Pokemon. The only $$$ that goes to Pokemon is when the retailer buys the sealed product. That's it!

Why SHOULD Pokemon offer huge prizes to offset the cost of your deck? Pokemon had nothing to do with how much your deck cost. In reality, Pokemon doesn't care how much you paid for your deck. They never will.

Yeah! And boosters are free too!

Back