Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2 Seperate World Championships A Necessary!

Dragonstar

With all of the City, State, Nation, and World tournament formats currently being modified most unlimited cards have practically become worthless accept to people who compette in side events at most of these events, however winning an unlimited side event is no where near as important as winning a modified city, state, nationals, or worlds tournament. The reason so many players quit (at least hear in Nevada) is because only a few months after Wizards changed the format to Neo and up, Nintendo took over and changed the format to Expedition and up, right after so many players here just finished modifying there decks. If there were to seperate city, state, nationals, and worlds tournaments on different days it would give players who quit because of the "format change" a reason to play again and also give players who do not do as well in modified tournaments another chance to win major tournaments and get some serious prizes.

Also if anyone knows if or when the current modified tournament format will change or of any major unlimited tournaments with serious prizes please private message me or post it on this thread.

P.S. Does anyone know why their's no dark or steel energy symbol?

If they quit due to "format change" that's their decision, and they'd probably quit after a little while anyway if the format didn't change. Modified is designed to keep the game fresh, and to do that you need to rotate out old stuff. If they do not, then we get locked into one style of deck, and the game becomes boring for everyone. Neo-on had been around for a long time, WotC would have changed it to Expedition on even if they had kept the licence (save a few Best promos). Each rotation breathes new life into the game, makes it a new playing field with new opportunities.

^ true

an Unlimited World Championship would get stale after the first year
there are very few cards that are released now that are worth playing in Unlimited

I should hope that next year PUI bases the invitations to Worlds on the combined rating.

2004 will crown a World Champion of modified only.

Yeah, I hate it also after all the years were I bought all my old cards, they become worthless. I feel because of this, it makes it harder for people to come back into the game, and who can't really spend money on boxes of cards to keep up with the game.

Last edited:
yes, but the old cards are a little too powerful and would make the game go stale
but, I do agree that the rankings should be based on overall

They are two different worlds and are both exciting and fun. We have modified because the whole point of the game is to sell cards and/or promote the Pokemon industry. An Unlimited World Championship would be counter productive to that end and I don't think that Nintendo should do this at the time. Notice that I said "at this time", I believe that eventually when and if the industry gets large enough they cound afford to do this but for right now I'll just thank my lucky stars that they are making the investment to hold a Modified World Championship.

Monkey said:
Yeah, I hate it also after all the years were I bought all my old cards, they become worthless. I feel because of this, it makes it harder for people to come back into the game, and who can't really spend money on boxes of cards to keep up with the game.
Toward that end, PUI needs to release an LC2 or a BS3, or some kind of group of reissued cards so that at least some of the old cards can be used.

I e-mailed Nintendo and Pokemon USA with an idea to make a Legendary 2 or Base Set 3 about a month before Sandstorm and to have players vote on-line as to which cards they should remake but it seems they just basically ignored. At least now I know now that I'm not the only one that thought they should make that kind of expansion.

What I think would be great is three World Championships. One each for unlimited, modified, and limited. And hold them in different locations so everyone can hopefully get to at least one of them.

3 World Championships Sounds Like A Good Idea!

SlimeyGrimey said:
What I think would be great is three World Championships. One each for unlimited, modified, and limited. And hold them in different locations so everyone can hopefully get to at least one of them.

That definatelly sounds like a good idea the only question now would be, how would they do the limited tournament sealed or draft and if so would the players be able to choose what packs they would like to make a sealed deck with if it was sealed or would they pick the set.

I don't think you can have a World Championship just strictly limited format. I mean, there are like 3 different limited formats (Regular draft, sealed, and Rochester). Also, you can probablly get stuck with the crappiest cards, while everyone else gets Godly stuff. It would all be about who ever gets the better cards.

Monkey said:
I don't think you can have a World Championship just strictly limited format. I mean, there are like 3 different limited formats (Regular draft, sealed, and Rochester). Also, you can probablly get stuck with the crappiest cards, while everyone else gets Godly stuff. It would all be about who ever gets the better cards.
I completely forgot about rochester but I agree with what you said about whoever gets the "godly stuff wins. So if they ever had a limited worlds tournament it would probably have to be draft since this way if you don't pull great stuff at least you could get passed cards that you can use for your deck.

I agree with anaconda. like he said, it no fun using same deck for a while. by rotating cards out players gets a chance to think about their deck ideas and make new decks. besides they're reprinting the old good pokemon as a ex with some down sides. i didnt really like some of the old card that much because i thought it was way too good. also when rotate cards out and bringing new set in, some of the good decks become bad and crapy bex/rayquaza example. the game is more fun this way. u cant really depend on one deck to win u every game. the point of the game is to have fun.

Last edited:
Chris Pak said:
I agree with anaconda. like he said, it no fun using same deck for a while. by rotating cards out players gets a chance to think about their deck ideas and make new decks. besides they're reprinting the old good pokemon as a ex with some down sides. i didnt really like some of the old card that much because i thought it was way too good. also when rotate cards out and bringing new set in, some of the good decks become bad and crapy bex/rayquaza example. the game is more fun this way. u cant really depend on one deck to win u every game. the point of the game is to have fun.

At this point unlimited could draw a bunch of players that quit when the formats first started to change back into the game and like PokePop said they should make a BS3 or L2 that way the some of the cards would be legal again in modified and encourage them to want to play both formats again since now some of there older cards would be legal again in that format as well. And lets face it most of the top decks arent that cheap, alot of people don't have extra money to throw at boxes and hope they get the good cards and even if they buy them as singles, I don't really see Gardevoir, Gardevoir EX, Blazekin, Blazekin EX, Delcatty, Reyquaza EX, Walrein, Crobat, or Millotic going real cheap. So I don't see how the game is fun for them since they can't even play in major tournaments. How would you feel if after spending hundreds of dollars on a few boxes and going to a tournament to find out you can't use any of those cards here.

But have you forgotten that OP, Worlds, etc. cost money to put on? And how does PUI...or any TCG company...make the money to put on OP? By SELLING CARDS.

OP is essentially a 'thank you' or incentive for a game's _current_ customers, the ones who are buying cards _now_...and it's no different with the Pokémon TCG as it is in MTG, DuelMasters, or any other TCG. Fact of TCG life: formats are going to change and sets are going to rotate out in order to 1) keep the game from getting stale and 2) keep the new sets selling.

JMHO,
'mom

SD PokéMom said:
But have you forgotten that OP, Worlds, etc. cost money to put on? And how does PUI...or any TCG company...make the money to put on OP? By SELLING CARDS.

OP is essentially a 'thank you' or incentive for a game's _current_ customers, the ones who are buying cards _now_...and it's no different with the Pokémon TCG as it is in MTG, DuelMasters, or any other TCG. Fact of TCG life: formats are going to change and sets are going to rotate out in order to 1) keep the game from getting stale and 2) keep the new sets selling.

JMHO,
'mom
:mad: Maybe you should actually make sure what you are saying is true. Magic does do major tournaments for type 1 which is all the cards they've ever made other than some restricted or banned cards and extended which includes some of the sets that are not in what is there equivalent to our modified. Some of those tournaments are used to determine who qualifies for pro-tours or sometimes even major tournaments like nationals and worlds or there are at least prizes and much more frequent tournaments for them unlike how POP is doing for our unlimited. Also you say that they make the money to run the tournaments by selling cards well that is one way but they also make money by charging an entry fee and you should also factor in the fact that all there judges are volunteers so they are already saving money by not having those people on there payroll and it's not as if they wouldn't buy a few new packs if they actually made new cards worth playing in unlimited, the fact that someone says most of the new cards wouldn't be worth playing in unlimited that's because as of late I think the card says have been dropping our expectations for great new cards a bit. And again you probably don't care about the people that can't afford to buy new cards because you can probably buy a few boxes when every set comes out if you wanted to!

Last edited:
Dragonstar said:
.... which is all the cards they've ever made other than some restricted or banned cards ..... . Some of those tournaments ..... or sometimes.... .

Emphasised the important words. You would still have people complaining that Blastoise and Professor Oak were banned.

Also you say that they make the money to run the tournaments by selling cards well that is one way but they also make money by charging an entry fee ...

POP/Nintendo does not make any money running tourneys. Fees go to the Tournament Organizer. Money is made indirectly by POP by sponsoring the tourneys (people have to buy new cards to participate) but the TOs are the ones who pay for everything themselves, so they get the entry fee.

..and you should also factor in the fact that all there judges are volunteers so they are already saving money by not having those people on there payroll...

Actually while judges are volunteers, we do get paid. By the TO. POP usually provides the TO compensation for judges.

and it's not as if they wouldn't buy a few new packs if they actually made new cards worth playing in unlimited, the fact that someone says most of the new cards wouldn't be worth playing in unlimited that's because as of late I think the card says have been dropping our expectations for great new cards a bit.

You have to remember that in Japan the game is played differently. What is a "great new card" to you is an overpowered, unbalanced cost-wise card. They've tried not to make another Base Blastoise, Professor Oak, Genesis Sneasel, or other fabulously broken card. Most Unlimited decks do not need new cards. Occasionally a new card will come along that is vastly superior to an old card (Rare Candy > Pokémon Breeder) and will replace that card in an unlimited deck. No one is going to replace SER with SER2.

And again you probably don't care about the people that can't afford to buy new cards because you can probably buy a few boxes when every set comes out if you wanted to!

Watch it. Being rude to 'Mom is not nice. I know she does not spend oodles of dollars on boxes and boxes. Like most people, she probably gets lots of her new cards from attending Prereleases. And working as a judge. I'm the one who spends oodles of dollars on boxes and boxes.

Last edited:
Dragonstar said:
Actually while judges are volunteers, we do get paid. By the TO. POP usually provides the TO compensation for judges. QUOTE]

Thanks for telling me this fact now I know that our judges have been lying to all our players here yet again. My regular judge wanted me to sign up as a judge for tournaments we were planing to start at another store but when I asked him what it pays he said nothing well now that I know judges get paid whenever he says that he doesn't get paid anything I'll just know he's a flat out lier. Also I was under the impression that the TO's weren't paid either since our judge told us he wasn't I assumed they weren't either. My appologies

Last edited:
Back