Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2008 Worlds Decks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeMontoya

I'm creating this thread to see how the community felt about the 2008 Worlds Decks. Did your purchasing of the Worlds Decks stay the same or different, and did you think that PUI released a good selection of decks? Any personal favorite decks? Any other opinions of decks?

I will let the topic get started before I give my opinion.

HOLLA!

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this year's selection of decks more than most year's.

Last year's was especially bad. It was great to see Rambolt printed, since I was friends and worked with both people who comprise the name of Rambolt.

Swift empoleon, Flyvees... bleh. Kind of bland. The 2008 series seams more fun and ultimately more balanced too. GG, Toxicroak/Scizor, Blissey all seemed to have pretty fun matchups against each other too.

I've still never bought or plan to buy the decks though. They can't be played with, so unless it has some sentimental value (like it's my list or it's me who won, or a closer friend) I can't see myself every actually purchasing one.

Leaving this to serve as a reminder of what not to post:

Don't you only care because Toxicroak won?

His deck got printed and he wants to know what people think about the decks. What is the big deal? Enough of a deal to post off-topic about it? Come on. If you don't have anything to say, then don't say it. But the discussion of his MOTIVES for making a thread about worlds decks is NOT the subject of the thread, the subject of the thread is the worlds decks. This distinction is made and adhered to so that the conversation does not go onto too many topics, degrade into attacks and defenses and personal discussion, etc. So, let's keep the conversation there.

I'm leaving this here as a reminder to anyone else who wants to make similar comments (in the style of BDS). Comments of a similar nature will be treated as spam and deleted and possibly given infractions, since this warning has already been given, and future postings of such would certainly be spam, off-topic, and borderline bashing.

Carry on!

and no actually it s not the only reason I really wanted to see the blissy and empo lists since they arent GG. BTW The Branders and I are 21-0 against Psychic lock with Intimadation we played a lot of games against all the lists in the booklet Its alot of fun to see how if someone played someone else (like mixing up top 4) how different the results can be

I liked 2008's more than most years, since the decks are nice to give to new Leaguers to teach them how to play. No super-complicated concepts, and they come with some of the trickier cards to learn so they can practice. I normally go through the trainers and replace them with modified legal cards with my League Leader, though.

i wish i could have bought them but haven't seen them at any stores here in norway yet :(
but i think that the deck are great, reminds me about GG, and about empozong, 2 big decks from HP-on season

i wish i would get ahold of the toxicroak one but none here :'(

Meh, Ill get one when I get to the US...

We have bought them the past few years as my sons (and the parents!) were learning to become better players. We were not going to buy them this year because we play enough now to have a lot of cards and know a lot of the good combos. But then we learned that my son's pic is in the booklet so we bought the GG one for him to have as one more souvenir from playing at Worlds.

I do like to use the cards as proxies too when we are testing out new decks, etc.

My wife and I bought the Intimidation and Psychic Lock decks.

Intimidation is still sealed, being kept as a souvenir of Tristian's Worlds win, since we are Colorado folks and friends with Tristian and the group that made the deck.

PLOX, which is opened, just cause I like the PLOX decks and there is a pic of my wife, myself, and lurker101 doing registration on Saturday morning there at Worlds.

make sure to bring it to states so I can PWN it with Intimadation:p I still want to buy that one too but the empoleon is higher on my list right now

We bought a couple of them to help teach my kids about good deck building and strategy. They are still pretty new and usually want to stuff 30-45 Pokemon into a deck. After playing the Champion decks they seem to get it that you can have a fun deck without putting in one of every pokemon you like.

It was great to see Rambolt printed, since I was friends and worked with both people who comprise the name of Rambolt.

Rambolt was downright SICK...
I love that deck.

and no actually it s not the only reason I really wanted to see the blissy and empo lists since they arent GG. BTW The Branders and I are 21-0 against Psychic lock with Intimadation we played a lot of games against all the lists in the booklet Its alot of fun to see how if someone played someone else (like mixing up top 4) how different the results can be

I really wanna get the Blissey deck.... it's sooo tight.

Intimidation does well against Psychic Lock, decent against Blissey,
and unfavorable vs Dylan's Empoleon...

although I hate GG(with a passion lol), I wouldn't mind buying Klaczynski's deck. it's extremely well built, the consistency is amazing...

I can definitely see why it won... although I think Ness's skill took him there.
"Intimidation" possibly being a better deck(because I know it's matchups, not because I built it)
but(without a doubt) definitely Chuck's "EmpoZong"....
it could overwhelm every deck, and survive almost any circumstance(especially with 40 min time limit)

kinda wish Ness had used EmpoZong with Chuck... two of em in top cut would've been enough to win worlds with

-ian

Last edited:
They can't be played with, so unless it has some sentimental value (like it's my list or it's me who won, or a closer friend) I can't see myself every actually purchasing one.

The cards in these decks have a different pattern on the backs don't they?

Would they be allowed in unlimited play in a Pokemon League?

Certain league leaders would rather you didn't use them, since they are probably trying to get the players to concentrate on building the player's own good decks for upcoming competitive events. However not all are that strict. I probably wouldn't be - if you were just trying to learn the mechanics of the deck to learn from it. It's a good teaching tool - just as long as you realize it's just a tool. The metagame has moved on, so what may have been great then, may not necessarily be great now.

I would be shocked if a Leage Leader did not allow World Championship cards to be played at Leage. They are official Pokemon cards its not like they are counterfeit,

I would be shocked if a Leage Leader did not allow World Championship cards to be played at Leage. They are official Pokemon cards its not like they are counterfeit,

I allow them at my league. Actually, I encourage players who can't afford claydols to go buy
worlds decks to get a playset.

Beats the heck out of proxies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back