Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2010-1-12 Rayquaza [C] SV 8/147

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMeches

"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=48163] 2010-1-12 Rayquaza [C] SV 8/147 [/gal]​

first...

looks cool, can be an interesting rogue if you can make it work. the lvl x gives it synergy with its first attack. but definatly hard to set up and cant recover well.

is easily ohko by the format as well.

3/10 for potential

Without a Lv. X, Twister is severely overpriced but Trash Burst is actually a cool techy attack for getting energy into the discard pile. It would be fun to start with this in a T-Tar deck if getting T-Tar itself was easier.

With the Lv. X, well, Twister is still overpriced but Trash Burst is kinda handy for setting up faster thanks to Dragon Spirit.

No X: 4/10
With X: 7/10

Rayquaza strikes me as an easier, not-quite-so-fast Mesprit, honestly. I really want to make the deck and try it.

Last edited:
OK, not the best SP, but certainly not the worst.

100 HP is great for an SP. The attack Trash Burst can be comboed with Rayquaza Lv.X's poke-body to recover energy from the attack, as Trash Burst can do up to 60, which isn't bad. Twister is really plain bad. You need 4 energies on it (although with Gain, it's 3 energies), and you need to flip. Both tails means that attack does nothing, although heads can help to rid off energy.

The weakness is really bad for Garchomp C will just one-shot it, resistance is OK, but Machamp can use take out on it anyway. The retreat cost is really just heavy.

Overall 3/10 in the modified

Though not bad, it is sadly taken down by many popular cards right now, and this along with the Lv.X are slow to set up.

Its probably the best "colorless" type pokemon to use against Gengar.
Even with Gengars resistance, the Lv X can still hit for 180. KO.

Rayquaza C is a little below average by itself and then pretty good with the Lv X.
Trash Burst is ok as its cheap and allows options for other cards.

I agree with the statment on it being a slower version of AMU.

Without lv X: 3/10
With X: 6/10

I tried this guy's level x but it dies against any power lock, maybe in other format or with a better list it can work, but i don't think so, it stills being so slow. Twister is very expensive and don't think you're going to deal 50-60 damage with Thrash burst at the begginning of the game because it doesn't happen.
If i had to choose, i will take AMU instead of this.

3/10

Today's CotD is Rayquaza C from SV...well, it at least seems fun in theory. Statwise, 100 HP is great for a Basic SP, x2 Weakness to :colorless: is ok (Flygon being the only notable Pokemon here), -20 Resistance to :fighting: is ok (but as it's a Basic, doesn't do squat against Machamp) and :colorless::colorless::colorless: to Retreat is expensive. Trash Burst is ok, costing :colorless: and letting you deal 10+ 10 more for up to 5 Energy cards you discard from your hand; this sets up the Lv X's Poke-Body for later on. Twister is just muy malo at :colorless::colorless::colorless::colorless: for 50 and either discarding an Energy off the Defending Pokemon for each Heads, or doing nothing at all if you flip 2 Tails. Overall...well, it can be fun to use as it's challenging to use, but as far as being competitive goes, it falls short.

Modified - 4/10 (Not that the deck can't work, it just can't work well)
Limited - 2/10 (Generally bad attacks make this undesirable, unless you really need a wall to stall or you get the Lv X)
Unlimited -1/10 (No use here)

I originally was hyped about this card & it's Lv.X when this came out in japan....then it came out in english and I was so stoked, FINALLY....and then I built the deck.....and now I realize everything that does 200 damage isn't always good....

3/10

I am really surprise this card was never matched up with Kingdra! Great counter for Dragons (thought it will usually get one shotted back) but the discard aspect allowing Kingdra to go aggro with its second attack is an interesting Combo!!

Will be interested to see how DCE changed this cards playing capabilities!!

Trash Burst can donk if you start with 6 Energy in your hand. Twister is too expensive for an effect that might not work, and the damage output isn't that high. Speaking of damage output, Rayquaza C Lv. X makes up for low damage. Colorless Weakness is bad, Fighting Resistance is good, Retreat Cost is bad. 4/10

This card looks cool but sucks. I've never actually pulled one either. I'd be so mad if I attached three or four energies to this guy and flipped two tails with his second attack. 2/10

This card is horrible. Who wants to waste 5 energies to power up Trash Bolt? That move is very wasteful. And Twister just plain sucks. Flip 2 coins and if both are tails, the attack does nothing? C'mon. The attack does 50 damage for 4 energies and then there's a chance for the attack to be shut down. Bad. Very bad. The X isn't that great either. Oh yeah 200 damage for 4 energies to be dropped unless you empty your hand. Um that's rarely gonna happen. Lugia LEGEND is gonna own this card's LV. X. 3 for 200. I mean sure you're dropping 3 energies but it's only 3 to charge it! That's awesome!

Personally I think this card would be hilarious as a deck on it's own w/o the Lv X. Run 4 of them with Bronzong SF, LOTS of energies, Expert Belt, and Fisherman... Maybe a small Kingdra line to smash later in the game for big damage? That sounds like a lot of fun! =D

7/10 if you think outside of the box.

Play it with Aibipom G to help with energy disruption
with dce both these cards are going to increase in popularity
go first T1 Aibipom G DCE 60 damage donk go second add expert belt donk for 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back