Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2011 Draw Engine Attempt: Bronzong SF + Engineers Adjustments

Illydth

So I was hesitant to post this for review (giving away secrets and such) but I figure if it works decently it'll be well known by battle roads in the fall anyway, so I might as well get opinions on it now.

As nats is over, and neither my son nor I are playing in worlds, I figured it was time to start looking at the 2010-2011 season and start prepping decks. Obviously, everyone's struggling for what the next draw engine is going to look like after claydol is rotated.

In cataloging the extent of cards we have and pairing out the ones that have been rotated, I happened to run across the Bronzong SF card who's PokePower seemed interesting to me...even more so once I realized that it's a stage 1 (so basically as easy/hard to get out as claydol was) and acts as an every turn Roseanne's Research (Energy Wise at least...can't pull creatures).

Couple this with Engineer's Adjustments (Discard 1 energy, Draw 4...possibly the best supporter draw card we have after rotation) and you have what I'm seeing as the makings for a reasonable draw engine.

Benefits:
----------------
* Cycler Allows to pull 2 energies a turn out of the deck: This allows one energy attachment while the other goes to the discard pile.

* Cycler allows you to drop a card back to the deck. One of the best things about Claydol was the ability to dump trainers/supporters back to the deck to get around Gengar SF's Poltergeist Attack...more on this in a second.

* Energy to the Discard is typically a "good" thing for several decks, many of which have the ability to pull energy from the discard pile to provide "extra attachments" every turn.

A Note on Draw in 2011: Draw in 2011 seems to take one of three forms:

1) Shuffle your hand and hope you get what you need or
2) Load your hand with a mass of cards.
3) Hand Draw to a specific amount of cards.

If you use the first form of draw engine you're relying upon luck to get you something you want...take it from a guy who played four BTS in a Jumpluff deck, copycat's an opponent's 19 card hand at turn 8 and can't get a single BTS out of it...this doesn't always work.

If you use the second form of draw, however, Gengar SF Players smile largely and say "Poltergeist for 2000000 damage..."

The third type of draw (Volkners, Uxie, etc.) seems reliant upon you being able to USE your cards...the first time you get a dead draw (a bunch of stuff in your hand you have no use for) your draw engine comes to a close very quickly (thus I don't think anyone will be successful with a Uxie draw engine without playing PONT, Judge or CopyCat...my opinion, open to rebuttals here).

Detriments
------------------
* Same as with Claydol: Unless you happen to be playing a psychic deck (And really, neither of Bronzong SF's attacks are all that bad, particularly if you happen to be playing Judge), this is mostly just a bench sitter.

* While it does have 90 HP instead of 80 (it's not a single turn knock by the umpteen gillion bench attackers released that are built to kill Claydol), it's still a dead bench sitter with a Poke Power...so all the standard knockout snipes apply.

* 3 Retreat cost...as if Claydol's 2 wasn't bad enough, this one has 3. You'd better be playing plenty of warps and switches and warp energies, or expect to be wasting significant energy on retreats.

* Low Energy/High attack costs need not apply. Either low energy decks (like Jumpluff) or high attack cost decks (Tyranitar) probably can't make much use of this engine unless you've got a large amount of space in the deck available for energy recovery.

One last item of note on this engine is the number of cards that will need to be in deck to make it work:

1-1 Bronzong SF (2)
4 Engineer's Adjustments (4)
4 Energy Cards (4)

So the MINIMUM number of cards needed for the engine in a deck is 10...and for these 10 cards you get 16 cards out of the deck...not sure if this ratio is better than/worse than any others out there.

To get through most of your deck I would suspect you'd need:

1-1 Bronzong SF (2)
4 Engineer's Adjustments (4)
4 VS Seeker (4)
4 Energy Cards (4)
2 Fisherman (2)

16 Cards for a total of 32 Draw...given the one supporter a turn and one card per turn these 8 rounds of Engineer's really gets you through 40 of your 60 cards. 7 cards at the start + 6 prizes = 13 Cards + 40 through draw = 53 of your 60 cards will be drawn if you can start this chain quickly.

So: Opinions? What am I missing? What's wrong with this engine? Where does it work and where doesn't it? Any drawbacks/benefits I seem to have missed?

Any advice/critique anyone has would be most appreciated.

--Illydth

I can see Bronzong working in a psychic variety of Flygon - this could use the two Mismagi (SF and UL) to rotate energy around and murder the use of energy gain/expert belt (1 SF, 2 UL). Engineer would work nicely here, yes.
Problem is, you can only use 4 of them each turn (5-8 given VS Seeker). Should you not consistently pull Engineers, you're in trouble.
I would run 2 Bronzong SF and potentionally one of the MD variety. That guy can be used to soften up an opponent's field if they rely on powers. This can bring a bunch of cards that were previously out of his league into Flygon KO range (Kingdra Prime comes to mind).

This combo is also worth considering for any deck running Conductive Quarry btw.

In a couple short tests, I find that once you have the first Engineer's down it's much less of a problem. Once Engineer's is in the discard pile, VS will work to recall it...giving you basically 7 Engineer's Adjustments...if you're drawing 5 cards a turn (not to mention playing trainers and such that pull other cards out of the deck) your likelihood of having either a VS or Engineers in your hand every turn is pretty high...assuming you play the full 4/4 VS/Engineers line.

Getting to that first engineer's however is where the draw engine comes to a screeching halt. That said, bronzong also seems to be the answer to "OMG We lost Rosannes!" as well. I've got several people in my League talking about how energizing decks is going to have to change after rotation because we won't have Roseanne's anymore to pull them out.

--Illydth

Well, some ideas to get your first Engineer's:

Cyrus's Conspiracy: Even gets you the energy to start it off with. Actually, come to think of it, Sableye + Cyrus + Engineer's seems pretty good. Use the Cyrus engine to pull energies and Sableye to draw.

Staraptor FB LV. X: Always a nice card, and you won't be missing your Engineer's anytime soon.

Jirachi RR: Either dies and lets you pull another engineer's, or just duplicate the engineer for another 4 cards at the end of turn. 8 cards per turn sounds nice to me!

I'm personally trying to see if a Uxie/Banette draw engine would work. It helps in a deck where your discard pile can be used to your advantage as much as your hand.

Cyrus conspiracy combined with Jirachi RR...

bronzong being pulled active = GG
maybe a metagross deck/psychic toolbox type deck using it. psychic energy = free retreat. also, a high warp point/switch/warp energy count could be nice.

It also seems like this would be the perfect draw engine for any card that likes its energy in the discard, like Mewtwo Lv. X or T-tar SF.

Last edited:
So obviously the Engineer's Adjustments portion of the combo is solid, it's possibly one of the best draw cards we've got after set rotation....I expect it will be played quite often.

What I'm more intersted in is the Bronzong SF portion of the combo. Is there something that does this better? I get the 3 retreat is harsh for the card, and it takes up the same spot that claydol did...the "bring it up to stall or snipe it for free prizes" slot of the opponents hand.

The problem I run into without the Bronzong SF part of this is you're either relying upon another 4 cards (like Cyrus) to guarantee the energy and the discard (and then it's every other turn that you can draw) or you're gambling that two of the 5 cards you drew last round are another Engineers and an Energy...and THEN if you're playing anything that's not a single energy attack you STILL have to have drawn ANOTHER energy to attach for the round...that's 3 of 5 cards spoken for every time you draw...not good odds.

With the bronzong on the board you're down to 1 of 5 cards the last round needs to be either engineers or vs seeker and you can keep the draw going...because you're guaranteed the other 2 energy (the discard and the attachment...assuming no power spray).

--Illydth

Only other thing I can think of is Delcatty PL, that way you always draw an energy, but it also makes it essentially draw 3 cards rather than 4.

Nice concept, I'd definitely consider some Cyrus's Conspiracy though; it is great to be able to search out the 2 main parts of the engine in one go if you don't have them in hand.

That's why I suggested Jirachi RR, free retreat is good stuff, and you get as many as 16 uses out of Engineer's, and can pull whatever card you want when it dies.

There are 3 parts to a deck. Pokemon, T/S/S (tools), and Energy. To be quiet honest, this card works wonders. I like getting what I need, when I need it. So I focus my tools on getting pokemon i need, controlling my discard pile, and refreshing my hand. This is a cool pokemon since it has good control over energy. If I focus on controlling my pokemon, I also focus on grabing energy simultaneously, if I grab Bronzong. Since I don't run SP decks, all I really need is pokemon and energy. Ofcoarse some cards are going to be an exception in my own plan, but if that's the base root of my plan I have good consistency and good set up.

I love how you could (theoretically) draw 8 cards from Jirachi RR, Engineer's, and Bronzong SF.

Hmm... how to work consistency... Well, the combo in and of itself isn't consistent at all, especially if you are hoping to get it in your opening hand. But if you consider some cards that just have to be in any normal deck: Bebe's Search, Pokemon Collector, Pokemon Communication, Call Energy, the odds of getting Bronzong out increase very quickly. If you also play a starter like Sableye or Jirachi, or Cyrus's, the odds start looking a lot prettier for getting a Engineer's Adjustments. If you have Uxie, they get even better. Near as I can see, it's extremely consistent, considering how it's simply a supporter and a Pokemon.

Also, I'd like to mention that this combo can't really be sprayed, because of the use of Cyrus's or, if you're really desperate, Fisherman or SSU some energies back into your hand. I think the question isn't consistency, but which decks would benefit most from this draw engine?

Hmm... how to work consistency... Well, the combo in and of itself isn't consistent at all, especially if you are hoping to get it in your opening hand. But if you consider some cards that just have to be in any normal deck: Bebe's Search, Pokemon Collector, Pokemon Communication, Call Energy, the odds of getting Bronzong out increase very quickly. If you also play a starter like Sableye or Jirachi, or Cyrus's, the odds start looking a lot prettier for getting a Engineer's Adjustments. If you have Uxie, they get even better. Near as I can see, it's extremely consistent, considering how it's simply a supporter and a Pokemon.

Also, I'd like to mention that this combo can't really be sprayed, because of the use of Cyrus's or, if you're really desperate, Fisherman or SSU some energies back into your hand. I think the question isn't consistency, but which decks would benefit most from this draw engine?

I meant the Jirachi + Bronzong + Engineer's Adjustment combo. If you use Cyrus, this can only be used every other turn at best.

Now I'm torn. IDK if I want a Bronzong engine, or a Jirachi engine.

Back