Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2012-12-28 BCR White Kyurem EX 103/146

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=53919]2012-12-28 BCR White Kyurem EX 103/146[/gal]​

To be fair and this is pushing it a bit, I give it a 6/10.

Its stats are good, however its attacks are nothing really amazing. The first one is 3 energies (1 being type specific) for 60 and potential energy retrieval which isnt horrible but rather expensive. Not a horrible attack but so many other cards that give you a lot more for that much energy.

The second attack is very costly even for a decent amount of damage. Giving up 2 energies is bad. Needing a water and a fire is bad too. Burning the opponents Pokemon is nothing really great since it ends up dying from the attack half the time unless your attacking an EX and the damage still isnt enough to knock anything out.

Overall, good hp, good retreat, but just too slow and not enough synergy with other cards to really get it to work quickly and its attacks are very basic. Being a Dragon means he gets killed by Rayquaza and Garchomp easily as well. Card would be better if its attacks werent so expensive, had a resistance and had some diversity to its abilities.

It would be good if Fire were a relevant type right now. In any case the WK EX we are getting later is a lttle better I think.
Oh well. It gets a 6/10 from me.

If Emboar were a threat right now and Crystal Edge Ace Spec was attached to White Kyurem EX, this thing would be pretty lethal packing 200s and a OHKO on all Dragons with the first attack. However, the odds of an Emboar set up along with the needed Ace Spec are unlikely. (Tool Scrapper; Weakness to Rayquaza/Rayquaza EX and the less played Garchomp; Blastoise putting a damper on Emboar, etc.) Also, provided the limited energy recovery Emboar has and how unreliable White Kyurem EX's first attack is for energy retrieving, it is questionable how long White Kyurem EX would last as a sweeper.

The artwork for the Full Art is beautiful: 8.5/10
In modified format as a stand alone card: 2.5/10 (This thing could only dream of attaching enough energy fast enough on its own)
With help of Emboar and the non-existence of rivals such as Blastoise: 7/10
In a perfect world where Crystal Edge was there when you needed it never to disappear: 8.5/10

In the current meta where it matters: 5/10 ...

Let's face it, come Plasma Storm the new Black Kyurem EX will be everyone's go-to Kyurem and no matter how hard this White Kyurem will try I'm afraid it'll always be living in its other half's shadow. :(

If this card didn't need fire or at least didn't discard fire it might of had a chance in the current format. 4/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back