Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-02-21 PLS Articuno EX 025/132

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54256]2013-02-21 PLS Articuno EX 025/132[/gal]​

Amazing looking card, but very unplayable.

All of its stats check out well but its attacks are not good. 3 for 60 is bad and 10 to each bench Pokemon isnt that great for the cost of the attack. If you really want that effect run Kyurem, Registeel EX or Kyogre EX. The second attack is pretty bad as well since paralysis is so easy to play around with Keledo, Switch, Escape Rope, Scramble Switch and etc and it only deals 80 damage. People are already stacking their decks with ways around Hypno laser/virbank and this would be even easier to dodge since it deals damage.

This card isnt hard to run since you could make a deck with blastoise, this and lugia, but it would be too slow and too ineffective to really be worth your time. Plasma energies are too situational since they hardly work with any solid existing cards meaning that the only cards you can play along with this card would be Lugia which is also lackluster at the moment. Theres too many alternatives to this card that are more impacting coming out in the next set, so this card probably wont ever see any tournament usage. Yes its a nice looking card and its a legendary bird, but that doesnt make it a competitive card.

Overall I give it a 5/10 just because it has decent stats, deals ok damage and is a big basic ex. If paralysis wasnt so easy to dodge and if it didnt need plasma energies, it would see some play. Plasma decks are already lacking with decent attackers and status conditions are very easy to avoid, so this card doesnt fulfill any roles that plasma or water decks already cant fulfill with other cards.

Last edited:
It's a decent 1-of in Blastoise-based decks, but the fact that you need Plasma Energy to get the full Paralysis effect means it's not DCE-compatible. 6.5/10.

8/10 This card looks amazing in all ways but is unplayable against Keldeo/Blastoise. This card is best used in Blastoise/Keldeo and even though it can't really be used against other Blastoise/Keldeo decks, this card messes up almost every other deck.

Haha the amount of hate this card receives.

Any particular reason why the thumbnail on the front page is the regular art and this is full art? Just asking since you sometimes redo the same card but with full art and reg art.

Anyway, the card has to fit into a very specific deck for it to work successfully, but I'm not sure people realise that it isn't Blastoise/Keldeo, especially due to the plasma energy requirement. It fits in a more plasma based deck, whether its a more toolbox like deck, or a Lugia/Articuno/Tornadus which aims to get 2 big KOs with Lugia ex.

I reckon the problem with the card is that people look at it for the gimmicky second attack, which does an automatic paralysis, which is good, but not by itself for such a high retreat cost. People seem to dismiss that the first attack, although not amazing, pairs well with several other attackers, and make the card a generally good Landorus counter. 60 damage and 10 spread is pretty decent, especially considering the use of HTL.

The second attack although not brilliant, is still very good, but only against certain decks. It's almost useless against the type of decks that you know has switching ability, whether its Keldeo Blastoise, or Decks that always run large amounts of Switch/Escape Rope. This should be an indicator that a deck shouldn't be focused around this card, and definitely not the attack. However, it is hard to miss how well it does against Darkrai variants, as it allows you to catcher up a darkrai, or even a keldeo if they run a single copy, and trap either their support pokemon, or main damaging card, until it's knocked out. The best part is that you can do this 2 times in a row, as Darkrai cannot KO this in one hit.

I give the card an 8/10, but has to be played in the correct deck.

I'm just glad to have all the legendary birds as EXs.

I like Zapdos EX more out of the 3 but Articuno can setup some plays where you lock a EX in the active spot that you can finish with a Zapdos EX or Moltres EX. Lugia EX is good also.

60 plus 10 spread to everything is also good. It can do up to 110 damage if your opponent has a full bench and just placing 10 damage on something can be huge for the other EX birds because it turns 3HKO's into 2HKO's.

I'll give it a 10/10 because its Articuno.

This card has a lot of potential. The attacks do NOT seem good, but the speed at which these attacks can go off is insane. A Turn 1 blizzard will put an insane amount of pressure on the opponent. Allowing for a simple scramble switch to a Lugia EX for a potential of 3 prizes T-2 is game over. This deck can EASILY achieve this. It can only get better too.

As of now, 7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back