Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2013-05-29 PLF Kyurem 031

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynegg

CotD Editor<br>Forum Moderator
"Before posting, please review the FAQ and follow the Guidelines provided for Card of they Day. Whereas we enjoy opinions of the cards, it is necessary to include a Brief Description for all players to understand your point of view and an optional Rating (ex. x/10). In the future, posts not using the FAQ information may be deleted and reported. Thanks, Mgmt"

[gal=54693]2013-05-29 PLF Kyurem 031[/gal]​

So it's finally posted huh...

9/10

There isn't a downfall. Take the Metal weakness, that's fine.. HP is good enough as its usually hitting early and can usually disrupt enough before Darkrai/Laser happens. It causes issues with the dual move dealing massive damage back to back as long as you have a Switch/Float Stone or Keldeo.

Love this card.

Even thinking about just running a 4-4 line of it and Deoxys lol

9/10

Now we're getting to the really good stuff.

130HP is still ridiculously good for a basic that only gives up one prize. Metal weakness is one of the less painful ones to have (thanks to Cobalion EX not applying weakness with steel bullet). 3 retreat is painful, but can be worked around and even gives it the advantage of being searched by heavy ball.

Frost Spear is like Landorus's Hammerhead. It needs colress machine to get it off T1, but it is still just as good (and a couple of them can set up 3 prize turns with Lugia).

Blizzard Burn brings me back to the days of BW Zekrom and Reshiram, dealing a massive 120 damage for 3 energy. The drawback of not being able to attack next turn is pretty nasty, but it can be worked around with a Keldeo Float Stone combo (also making this an good attacker in Blastoise decks).

Of course, the best thing about this is that blue border. Being a plasma pokemon, this gets attack boosts from Deoxys EX, energy acceleration with Colress Machine and Thundururs EX, easy access with plasma ball and shadow triad, and a whole slew of other benefits. Easily the 3rd best plasma pokemon behind Deoxys (2nd) and Thundurus (number 1).

I dreaded this card being released for the first week or so Plasma Freeze was out. Then I got 2 in the booster box I bought. 9/10.

When I first saw this card, I thought. Wow, this is just like Landorus, but it takes 2 Energies. That's not very good. And I thought even worse with Blizzard Burn, because it can't attack next turn. So that means not even Frost Spear. But then I saw this card again and I went. Wait a minute. I can power up Frost Spear with 1 Water and 1 Colress Machine to grab a Plasma Energy and attach to it, because this is a Team Plasma Pokémon! Team this thing up with 4 Deoxys and drop down Laser/Bank and it's disgusting! 90 Damage for only 2 Energy and Snipe 30 to the bench! Or even better, get the 3rd Energy on there and deal 180 with 3 Deoxys and Laser/Bank! With the help of Keldeo with a Float Stone attached to it, if you have 3 Energy on there, you can Blizzard Burn, Rush In and Free Retreat and Blizzard Burn again! So you can Blizzard Burn every turn! This card is amazing in TDK decks! I give this card 10/10, because it's way better than Landorus AND the best thing is that it's NOT an EX. So if your opponent knocks it out, it'll only net them 1 prize!

Probably the best Pokemon in the game. Efficient energy and only gives up 1 prize. Blizzard Burn is where it really shines. the drawback is so easily worked around that Frost Spear T1 then Lasers and Blizzard along with catchers can win you the game very quickly.

low risk, high reward

10/10

I think the Kyurem in question can be very good, but I wouldn't go so far as to rate it 10/10. I see it as basically the new Landorus. T1 snipe is handy, plus 10-20 from Deoxys most of the time, and Blizzard Burn KOs stuff after a snipe pretty easily. But it does have only 130 HP, putting it within the OHKO range of Absol PLF, Keldeo-EX, Lugia-EX, Darkrai-EX, and, of course, other Kyurem PLFs. The heavy retreat cost becomes an issue when almost no TDK decks run Heavy Ball, so it needs to be backed up by Float Stone, and possibly Keldeo-EX. Overall, with Plasma support, I would give it 8/10. 10/10 to me is Darkrai-EX with all the Dark support, which Kyurem PLF definitely is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back