Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd Canadian Nats 2009 Report (Seniors)

cardfreak

Canadian Nats 2009 Report (Seniors)

So I leave my house at 9:30 PM to get to the hotel to play test with a couple of guys in a room on the 22 Floor. The elevators took forever to come to your floor, that was disappointing. So I managed to play a couple of games before sleeping at 2:00 AM. I really needed that play testing to decide which deck to play Gengar or Dialga G which I barely knew how to play.

I wake up at 7:00 and got some breakfast . I had my deck list written out already so I got to the playing room to hang around. So after a while I decided on playing Mother Gengar, so I had in my list get my T-shirt etc.

Ok that enough of that stuff so Round 1 is finally up

Round 1 VS Jacob L. with Mother Gengar

So I get a start not as good as his, we pitched dark each other for 10 turns and he finally breaks the locks. Mid game he's ahead in prizes and I failed all my fainting spells :( He wins the Game

Losing game 1? I wondered do I still have a chance at Worlds?
0/1

Round 2 VS Forgot Srys
1/1

Round 3 VS Some1(Jacob T?) A G deck
So opponent isn't a very good player so this game was easy for me I helped him a couple of times (by telling him what he did wrong) and let him take back his moves.
2/1

Round 4 VS Keyvan A. With Regigegas, Dialga G, Toxicroak G, Weavile
So it's bout 15 mins into the round when I take my first prize and then he has yet to set up and then a get another easy prize. So he get the set up with his Dialga G X up and I hit it and he poke turns it. It killed one of my Gengars... so he catches up and it was a close one he Gigaton Punches me flips heads,kills my gengar failed fainting spell. So the game got intense he attacks me again gigaton punches me with Dark engaged
and I flip heads for fainting spell (finally). I kill his Dialga G X with ruthless tail for game(In sudden death)
3/1

Round 5 VS Some Kid with Electrode Raichu and Dialga G
So he starts first with Dialga G great that card again. He asks me many questions hoping to be right and win. He keeps asking will you let me win I really want the DSi. Well you have to earn it right. So I have 3 prizes left mid game I shadow room his Electrode, and 2 Raichus Next 3 turns I Ruthless tailed them one by one.

4/1

Round 6 VS Kevin ? with Blaziken and Heatrean
So I start with just a Crobat G, he going first luckily so I roseanne's for gastly and baltoy. So I get the set up first. I get to kill his claydol and he has a heatran X and blaziken set up. So I get some of my fainting spells. He snipes my claydol mid game I didn't need it so I'm at 1 prize and he's at 4. A turn later he's down to 3 prizes I have 2 Gengars and A Nidoqueen set up with Unown G on them so I bring up nidoqueen and do Ruthless tail for 80. So he clutches me. So I go he says I can't retreat trying to pull it off and I know
Unown G stops that so I retreat and shadow room the PT blaziken with 80 for Game.

So I guess I still have a shot since I made Top 8. So I'm 4 in the standings.
5/1

Top 8 Vs Alexander S.
He's playing Rampardos Gengar so I guess that's a pretty easy match up.

Game 1
He's going first, he starts with a skull fossil and draws into Gastly, discards skull and Pitch Darks. My go, I draw get and start setting up the bench and Pitch dark him . So after the 3rd turn I have everything set up and used Looker's on him I got he start messed up so things started going downhill for him. So the prize count was 2 to 6 so he scoops Game 1.

We both get deck check and Alex has to get new sleeves, there were only Reflective Naruto sleeves left...
Game 2
I start with a Crobat G and top deck into a Gastly game. We pitched dark each other again his hand was actually amazing but I "Lookered" him. So after 12 turns or Pitch Darking he finally breaks the chain and attacks that was a mistake for him. So I use Poltergeist on his Gengar knocks it out and he fails the flip. The rest of the game was pretty much like Game .

So I'm going to Worlds since I have an invite. Strange thing is everyone who was in Top 4 in standings after Round 6 all made it to semi-finals.

Top 4
Winston C. with Machamp, Lumineon, Dusknoir
He went 6/0 in swiss so I'm not sure if I can beat him.

Game 1
I start with an Unown G, I draw attach and pass. He only needs one card to Donk me. He doesn't get the card, so I go Roseanne's for gastly and uxie. Get a gengar out and have half my bench set up. So I try to get all the easy prizes possible So I knock out 2 uxies, claydol and a machamp he scoops.

Game 2
I get a bad start so mid game prizes were 6 to 2 I scoop.

Game 3
I get a descent start everything else was pretty much like Game 1. The match against him was pretty hard you had to keep basics out of your hand and control your bench.

Finals
Alaric M. With Weavile G, Honckrow G and Skuntank G

Game 1
I start with a uxie :( so I attack for 20. He gets 3 Crobat G and hits it with Honckrow G that's game 1.

Game 2
I didn't get a good hand either so he was knocking out my Gengars with Weavile G and posion.

So whatever I'm second I get a paid trip that's good enough for me. Everytime I play him he plays a deck that' I'm weak to...

Pros
Going to worlds with a paid trip
Didn't play Dialga G like Kevin told me to or else I would have lost
Met alot of Seniors from the West
Getting a DSi

Slops
Losing round 1
Not winning Nats again
Internet didn't work Saturday night
Kingsley not making Top cut (10th place )

Last edited:
Back