Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd Place Masters Springfield, MO

amphachu

So, my friend Andre decided to come up with me this time, but he hadn't played competitively since states last year, so I had to run him through the ropes on the current decks of today's format. He decided after a bunch of playtesting Friday night that he wanted to go with Mew, so we got him everything that he needed to play it the next day. I still wasn't really sure what I wanted to play, so I just packed up all of my stuff, and we left for Springfield. We get there, I talk to Brit for a little, and I decide that Reshiphlosion deserved another chance after its terrible performance back in Tulsa. I'm exhausted from how late Andre and I stayed up the night before playtest, and I scribble down my decklist, turn it in, and get ready to play.

Round 1 vs. New guy W/ Random Metal Pokemon and Ursaring
I let him hit Reshiram once, and I outrage the entire game.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Pokemom W/ Donchamp
I'm really sorry that I can't remember your name, but I cathcer 4 different Phanpys before they can become Donphans, and by that point, Im already up 4 prizes to her 0, and easily seal the game with a few more Blue Flares.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Lance W/ Mew/Yanmega/Zoroark
I was actually super nervous going into this game. He starts off by lost zoning a Zoroark, and benching a bunch of stuff. My start was actually really good, and I was able to get out a nice stream of Typhlosion, and I never once attacked with Reshiram because he had like 3 Mews and a Zoroark set up ready to use foul play. It comes down to 1-1 prizes, and all that I have on my field is an active Typhlosion, and a benched Cyndaquil. My hand is switch, catcher, and juniper. I switch Typhlosion with Cyndaquil, Catcher his benched Cleffa, Juniper hoping to hit a fire and Plus Power/Junk Arm. I do, and knock out his Cleffa for game.

3-0

Round 4 vs. ?? W/ ZPS
I actualy have a really good hand this game, but she judged it all away to crap...She was able to take a huge lead by swarming with Zekroms and Yanmegas. Sad panda is sad.

3-1

Round 5 vs. Michael Kendle W/ Yanmega/Magnezone
For as long as I've known Michael, this is the first time I have ever actually played against him in a game. We both get alright starts, but his is a little slower. I was down to the point where I had 0 cards in hand when I knocked out a Yanmega, and I pulled a Juniper off of my prize. He raged a bit when I showed him on my next turn, and I proceded to take the last couple prizes I needed after that.

4-1

I get my deck all together for deck checks when the TO points out the I wrote 4 Rare Candy twice instead of writing down Junk Arm. Oops... Ah well. I change the 4 Junk Arm out for 4 fire energy, and proceed to get ready for my top 4 game.

Top 4 vs. Michael S. W/ Mew/Muk/Yanmega/Vileplume
Game 1. I was able to steadily get out some Typhlosions along with some Reshirams, and I don't remember how, but I won.
Game 2. I just couldnt do anything this game. I couldn't get a single Typhlosion out this game, but I decided to play it out instead of scooping because I knew if it went down to time, I would be able to grab a faster prize than he could in game 3.
Game 3. I start amazingly. I candy for 2 Typhlosions T2, and have a fully powered Reshiram ready to go. Time gets called on my turn, and I was able to take more prizes than once we went through our +3

Top 2 vs. Paul Sponsler W/ Reshiphlosion
Game 1. He gets set up. I don't play Junk Arms, and scoop.
Game 2. My prizes are as following:

Cyndaquil
Cyndaquil
Sage's Training
Typhlosion
Typhlosion
Reshiram

I could absolutely do nothing. He wins easily.

Well, I guess not playing Junk Arm wasn't that bad. It actaully really helped out against my top 4 opponent, which was kind of unfair since he probably could/should have won that match. Congrats to Paul though for finally winning his first tournament. I gladly take my 2nd Place Victory Cup, and again pull crap from my boosters. It's the same exact list I used in Bentonville, so if you want to take a look at it, just go read that report.

Exact same list..... except for Junk Arm :p

GG on this one Kevin.
I don't think I had told you that yet. I was more focused on you going Tropical !

Back