Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd Place Nationals Report Masters

Jaeger

So I get out to Nats on Friday afternoon but most of my friends are already out there anyway I win a side tournament with Metanight but by the time it was done they quit doing tournaments for the day but me and my little bro collect our travel awards and head back to the hotel. So I get there early the next morning and have my deck list filled out for ScizorGross I was feeling pretty good about it even with all the ape going around since even though ape is my worst match up its not an autoloss I'd say its 35-65 there favor Anyways my pal Noel offers to let me use his flygon but Scizor is what I tested with so I stuck with it.

Round 1 Matt E.(Celios) with Lucario/Evlutions

I have a nidiran start against his Rilou he goes first attachs Strenth Charm and Flips heads I lose before I even draw. Ten minutes later I relize you can't play strenth charm first turn I felt so stupid(waits for a thousand people to yell noob) but in my defense that ruling came in only about a month or two ago, anyways theres no point on crying over it just have to win out.

0-1

Round 2 Vs Mario

She cant't draw by the end of the game shes top decking and I got a full set up.

1-1

Round 3 Natile A. with Flygon
If I have the round out of order I applogise same for my spelling she optied to go with the more consistent version and played with Furow Delta I set up faster and was able to Reversal up a Vibra with 2 energy and KO it that and then KO a Rayquaza with Scizor Ex and in the end I Latios* a Flygon Ex for the win, she took a few prizes but I was able to set up just to fast.

2-1

Round 4 Infernape

I knew I would have to play against it eventually I had a good start vrs his slower start so I Latios* one ape and was able to Reversal KO a Chimcar and then used Nidoqueens/Metagross to take down 1 more his 4th Chimcar was prized and the Delcattys/Delcatty Ex were no match for the Scizor Ex, he drew 3 or 4 prizes but just couldn't hit the Chimcar.

3-1

Round 5 Rokman Flygon Ex LM/Delcatty Ex/Delcatty

He mullys a few time so I have a little more to work with I think I have a Castform start vs. his Budew so we both get set up I believe I cross cut he smacks me for 100 I KO him he comes up RC Flygon Ex KO's me I Latios* one(Latios* is so Broke) so at the end of the game its Tied 2-2 I have a Scizor Ex with like 80 on it on the benched he has 2 Flygon Ex benched which both have 80 on them I have Queen Active he sends up beduw grabs his trainer I'm pretty sure I have this but I don't want to throw away a game I have won so I copycat for 5 and draw the Pokemon Reversal I wanted play it and flipped heads GG.

4-1

I'm doing it, must keep level head

Round 6 Latios Ex+Latias Ex
This is a good matchup becuase of the weakness OHKO compine that with him passing his first 4-5 turns. Tuff breaks man I'm glad you won out that was cool deck

5-1

Round 7 Vs. Alex Wooten With Ambush

This goes back forth but I win close one 0-1 on prizes Great Game Alex

6-1

Round 8 Heidi Creg BaneDoom

I have a Castform start vs. her shuppet as soon as she flips it over I'm just like crap I usually go 50-50 with Banette but I don't like to play against it anyways she misses a few energy drops and I 'm able to capitlize by getting a Sizor Ex Powered up she does get a Battle Frontier locked in but I'm able to KO her Bantte with Sizor She KO's me I Trade anthor Sciozr with her but she only able to get one hit off with this one so my second Scizor is still alive so she brings up SafeGuard and confuses me I KO SG with Metagross and win with the benched Scizor. Bannette is tuff I got lucky and caught some breaks. But she was really nice, I'm glad she topped 32.

7-1

Round 9 Vs Nick K Lucario Eveelutions

I have a great start and a great matchup I know with my hand I should have this but I transciever deck and I prized all my mentors, Adventer just isn't the same since I proceed to draw nothing I get 6-0ed, ouch consider how could of a match up this is for me

7-2 I'm still feeling pretty confident though since I have a 8-1 and at least 3 7-2 s as tie breakers.

I end up going in at 20th seed go back to the hotel order some dominos and then go to bed.

Day I show up a little after 8

Top 32 VS Paul J. Ambush
He was from washington and said they flew out anyways I swear everyone new about this deck but me.

Game 1 its close but I make a huge misplay and over look a cess crystal on empleon he had it visable just I played to fast and got a head of myself. There was one card left in my deck I believed would have won me the game and I could have copycated for it and had a 50-50 chance but I play it the safeway and get the Metagross go Super Conductivity and KO him and then he points on the Cess Crystal I pass he wins next turn.

Game 2 about 25 mins I know I will have to play fast becuase if he gets going he can stall me out but he got a horrible start vs my good start I turn 2 or 3 Scizor Ex him and he just doesn't draw anything he probally could have stalled it out to a little over 5 min but I guess he didn't like his chances in a practically sudden death match up.so he calls it with 15 min left

Game 3 I'm able to go up on prizes and am a head win time is called on my turn but we have a 90 second time extention due to a ruling so I have a badly damaged Scizor Ex if I retreat he will just hit it on the bench and win so I ko him so now I got 2 prize lead he comes up KO's me tie game when our 90 seconds are up I crosscut his turn I just put my hands behind my head and just see whats he's got he already played one Warp Point against me a Second would win him the game. I swear everyone in the entire room could hear me breathing he plays what he can but a few min. later he puts his hand out. Great Games Man.

Top 16 Lucario/Eveelutions Nick K
This should be one of my better match ups even though I went 0-2 against it yesterday both games I get solid starts and Lucario can't touch Scizor Ex and Even playing smart you have to scarfice to many Eveelutions to KO the Scizor Ex. But great guy and great deck I just had the hands this time.

Top 8 Machamp/Nidoqueen/Gligar (Ian Brander)
I was shocked that there was still a Machamp deck left but heck he was probally saying the same thing about Scizor, on paper this looks ungodly in my favor but its actually alot closer since he ran 4 DP Machamps and I couldn't OHKO them with Metagross becuase of the only +30 I got and Even Scizor Ex with Danger Parcipitaion in effect couldn't OHKO them. Anyways

Game 1 His great start vrs my much slower I start making a come back but this one is difinitly his

Game 2 I get a much better set up and Latios* one Machamp he can't capitalize on the Latios* being active so I retreat it and use it later to KO and second Machamp and with Latios* taking care of 2 of the 4 Machamps I was able to deal with the other 2 and the psychic Weakness on the queens was just to much.

Game 3 I was freaking out on the inside becuase I had a Castform start and no other basics and it was his choice on who went first and I knew he play Tom Hanks x a billion so even though he mullied a few time I still saw no other basics all I could do was keep a staright face and hope he went first, thankfully he did since he started with a Machop and goes low kick I draw still no basics if he went second there was a good chance I might be going home empty handed. but I have all the draw cards I need so I Trans Mentor and get a Turn 1 Queen and begin getting set up, he gets a Queen next turn and he starts getting set up with about 5 mins left I have a decise 1-4 prize lead on him and all he's got left his queen while have a Metagross active 2 benched and a Scizor Ex with 100 on it benched he draws I'm so excited I know I'm going to worlds no way he take 4 prizes in one turn then he does hit he Invitiation Absol Ex plays it and KO's My Scizor Ex now prizes are 1-2 still my lead Castway and then Strenth Charms my Metagross all tied up 1-1 but I bring up Metagross attach, double Super Conductivys and KO the Queen. Once again Great Games that was a great come back.

Out of Respect for the other players in top 4 I will just give a quick overview of the games and try to avoid giving away Tech cards. At least till after worlds

Top 4 Vs Rob D Rayquaza Ex D

This was an amaziling orginal deck there was alot of cards in there that normally hit the binders pretty fast I really hope he shares his list after worlds.

Game 1: As soon as I relized what I was playing against I knew my stradgey getting Scizor Ex up with 4 metals on it I figured he couldn't due enough damage to hit to be a real threat. I get a Turn 2 Scizor Ex with a scyther benched he snipes the scyther but I get a Scizor built up I don't play down my other pokemon till I know I can Rare Candy them right up it close but I end up winning a close one 0-1 on prizes

Game 2 Again I get a Turn 2 Scizor Ex and get 2 key Reversal heads that I believe won me the game once this games close but I manage to take it I believe 0-2 on prizes.

Top 2 Vs Fulop Absolutions

Game 1: I get a great start and take an early lead but I prize 1 Scizor Ex and Flip tails on 2 Reversals. Fulop can Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I needed to reversal heads to win this game becuase I bring up Nidoqueen with one damage counter on it Reversal tails, Copycat Reversal Tails so I smack Vaporeon Ex for 90 he brings up Jirachi hits me for 70 I KO Jirachi but he comes up and KO's me next Turn with Jolteon Ex which has like 80 on it.

Game 2: My opening hand Rivals that of Fulops Second game against Yamto in 04m, Castform Start with 3 Candys and no draw/seach cards I pass he starts with solrock benchs Mew Ex attaches/pass I attach Pass he attach benchs Rayquaza Ex Super Scoop up Heads brings up Mew Ex for 30 I top deck transciver grab mentor play get get beldum, nidoran, castform play NidoranCandyQueen Invitation Candy Metagross retreat Super conductivity bounce with Castform OHKO the Mew he was shocked but brought Rayquaza Delta and started killing the Metagross I get a scyther going and have everything in my hand just one turn away from playin it but he goes Vaporeon Ex and then Umbreon Ex up the Scyther and KO's it with Rayquaza its a while before I get anthor Scizor Ex up he brings up Vaporeon Ex and its for 40 I Steel Wing he sacrafices the Vaporeon Ex by going Fast Wave again so I'm up to 80 Steel Wing for the KO I'm down to 2 prizes but Jolteon Ex does me next turn. Both games I get down to 2 prizes but just can't finish it anyways great job to chris he had a great deck and deserved the win. As for me I was happy with my hall.

We spend the next hour taking pictures and getting our prizes I was excited when I got my big check for the Scholarship money but very disappointed when Mr. Schell told me I wouldn't get to keep it. When we went over and got our trophies I once again noticed the checks setting on the table. Now I just finished up my Senior year of Track a few months ago and was running 55.2 400Meters so I figured I could grab the check and out run Mr. Schell, Fulop even offered to block for me. But I decied just to leave well enough alone. Anyways Props and Slops

Probs
Everyone in top 4 you guys all deserved it
Judges and Staff this was a great tournament
The 10 players who got invites on ratings I quickly looked down the list there was difenitly some deserving players excpecially Jordan Hill you should have grinded in last year.
All the great friends I made and old ones I saw again.
The guy who had a 75% chance of getting a Wii in the Professor Cup you played well that totally should have been yours.
Tim M for taking second in the Professor Cup
Noel and TC for both going 6-3 and Narrowly missing top 32
Me and Fulop for haveing the best sleeves ever.
My little bro for 2-1 Infernape in top 16
My little bro for just barly missing a trip on a close third game with flygon.

Slops: None

Last edited:
GJ dude, I was the Round 4 Infernape dude. That was the worst game I'd played all game. Props dude. Getting 2nd with THAT deck? That shows some real skill. Good Job man, and Good Luck at worlds!

Dude, huge congrats, that was such a bold play to make and I would have never expected Scizor to be so high up there. Congrats and gl at worlds

Wow major props to you. I saw you playing the deck and you knew exactly what you where doing in all the matches which i saw. I wish you the best of luck in worlds. Great job

Hey, congragulations to you, Jay on getting a trip to Worlds. I was the one who you faced in top 32. I was thinking that your deck choice was quite risky but it did work out for you and it did very well. So, congragulations again man and good luck at Worlds.

That's funny...I asked Jay randomly about his Infernape matchup, and he blatantly admitted to me, "oh, I can't beat it unless I get lucky." As weird as that sounds, that's all I needed to know he was a solid player using a solid list, lol.

Great going!

The infernape matchup is tuff but not unbeatable you do have to get lucky it pretty much comes down to do they have the Plus Powers Becuase you figure 4 Infernape you Latios* one and trade 2 Queens hopefully with 2 Infernapes and as long as you can get 20 on the fourth you can cross cut for the KO and Delcattys won't come close to touching the Scizor Ex. I play tested this one a few times against my friends but they weren't playing plus powers and I usually did pretty well so when I got out there and everyone was playing what looked like 3 or 4 plus powers I pretty much chucked it up to an auto loss and figured I would have to luck sack it if I played it, but in the tournament I played 1 and won and my little bro 2-1ed the number one seed in top 16 that was playing infernape with the same deck I played except he had Latias* and I had Latios* so actually at Nats we were 3-1 against it, and it wasn't the autoloss I figured. Hope that help answers the question.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Hey, congragulations to you, Jay on getting a trip to Worlds. I was the one who you faced in top 32. I was thinking that your deck choice was quite risky but it did work out for you and it did very well. So, congragulations again man and good luck at Worlds.

Thanks Man you definenitly made me earn it.

Last edited:
With some decks, I think one just have to ignore the 800 lb gorrilla (or monkey) that is in the room. I was expecting lots of Fire Monkey's, and signficantly teched my deck for it, and I only saw one.

Jay your Deck was well built and great understanding of how to run it succesfully.

if he went second there was a good chance I might be going home empty handed.

haha... not a chance I would have choosen to go 2nd on the 3rd game,
I had no Tom Hanks/Charm/Pluspower or Draw Cards in my opening hand. so I figured, If I even had a slight chance of a donk, it would have to wait a turn.
but then I top-decked a pluspower on my first turn... lol. *slaps face.

Great job man.. you were a great sport, and it was fun to play against you.
good luck at worlds
-ian

Last edited:
Nice work!

I also wondered why they didn't let you have the big checks. The checks were dated Nationals 2006/2007, so they can't be used again next year. When we were packing things up, I realized that they only had the three (or four) so there wasn't enough for the winners in all three age divisions.

Oh, and I think you've got your top 32 opponent wrong. I think you played Paul (not Michael). There were two Washington players in the top 32. Michael C. who was undefeated after swiss, and Paul J.

Last edited:
Back