Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2nd Place Report w/ Magnezone/Eel/Thundurus

KAZUTO!!!

Thursday:

Soooo I was all ready to go with Magnezone/Eel for this CC. I needed some Championship Points this week, so I couldn't play a deck like Vanilluxe (which is what I used last week), because it could easily run into some bad matchups/flips and lose. But then on Thursday my friend James decides to go with me, for his first tournament ever! So I decide to build him ReshiPhlosion and let him play it.

Sunday:

Tournament day! James and I get there, and then like 5 minutes after Kabir gets there. I am playing Magnezone/Eel/Thundurus. Thundurus was really good, the only thing I didn't like about my list thinking back was I only had 1 Magneton, because I wasn't expecting much Trainer lock, but 50% of my games were against Plume lol. =/

Round 1 vs. ??? w/ Psyduck.dec

He goes first, plays LEGEND Box, whiffs, plays Victory Cup, tails, passes. I Bench Communication for Thundurus and Charge. He draws, attaches, 30. I draw, attach, 80 FTW. GG.

1-0

Round 2 vs. ??? w/ Vanilluxe

This is actually really close. I take a Prize lead with Thundurus, but unfortunately I did not have a good set up (he got T2 Trainer lock so avoiding Twins wouldn't have helped much). Luckily I had my only Magneton so I could retun the KO with Plume. However he uses Vanillish and flips heads on Ice Beam, so my Zone is locked regardless of him not having Vanilluxe. Eventually he KOs my Zone, and I am stuck: No way of getting Zone back, and he'll win the Prize exchange. Then I notice the Tynamo and Lightning in my hand and I think "Oh hey, Thundershock does 10 so Bolt Strike can KO next turn!" Sweet. So I Thundershock, he still does not have Vanillishes in play, and I flip heads! Sick. He passes, my turn I Bolt Strike for KO. He Ice Beams me I believe, locks me and eventually kills Zek. After this I notice that Electric Ball + Thundurus also KOs Vanilluxe, so after that it's a matter of doing stuff like that and eventually I win. He gets a key Quad tails at one point, which is pretty lucky, but hey, that's Vanilluxe lol. GG!

2-0

Round 3 vs. Philip B. w/ Tyranitar/Serperior/Reuniclus

I am off to a slow start, and am draw passing to his sleeping Cleffa for a while. Eventually I KO Cleffa, he return KOs me with T-Tar, I KO the T-Tar with Zone, and from there it's basically game. I get a Catcher to kill his Pupitar as well and after that it's more or less over. GG.

3-0

Round 4 vs. Ian W. w/ Chandelure/Vileplume

Whoo, I have never played this matchup. Anyways this one is really close as well. I get a nice set up, with 2 Zones and 2 Eels, but once again I regret my Magneton count, because he Devolves my Magnezones to KO my Magneton and set my Candied Zone back to a Mite. At this point however I have two Prizes left, all that's left is to finish out the game. I am about to KO Jirachi annnnd... time is called! Whoo! I KO it and he begins Turn 1: he sets up a KO on an Eel and passes. Turn 2: I 80 his Chandelure. Turn 3: He KOs the Eel and cannot take another Prize that turn, so I win 2-1. GG!

4-0

James ended up 1-3, which is pretty good considering it's his first tournament ever and he only learned how to play Friday lol. He misplayed to lose in Round 2 and his opponent (KABIR!) forgot to put out his Prizes Round 3 and played an N, but instead of calling a Judge and getting a win James decided to be nice and not call a Judge lol (James wants me to say nice things about him). Kabir ended 2-2, losing to Chandelure on a topdeck and Durant.

Anyways, Top Cut is Top 4, and my last 3 opponents in Swiss all made it. I am playing the Tyranitar in Top 4.

Top 4 vs. Philip B. w/ Tyranitar/Serperior/Reuniclus

Game 1:
Similar to our Swiss Game, except I get a much faster start and win. GG.

1-0

Game 2: This did not go as planned. =/ I get a terrible start and he takes the first 3 Prizes, despite played 3 Stage 2s, Twins, and his attacker needing 4 Energy. Anyways I make a comeback with Zones buuuut run out of Energy, because I can only go for OHKOs with Reuniclus. Anyways, it comes down to 1-1 and I am completely out of Energy, but instead of scooping I realize that my deck has a big advantage in Sudden Death so I decide to wait until there's only like 3 minutes left in the game before scooping, unless I deck before then (he was out of Tyranitars). So I N myself to 1, and I sit there draw passing. I deck out when there is around 5 minutes left. GG. All goes according to plan so far...

1-1

Game 3:
I start slowly, with Zekrom Active. I try to pull a Switch to T3 KO his Pupitar but miss it completely, so I just pass, and then he Evolves and Megaton Tails for the first Prize. This was not a part of the plan. Time is called here. I return the KO with a Lost Burn, and he pushes up Larvitar with no Bench annnnd... Super Scoop Ups, and flips heads to lose the game. =) GGs!

2-1

5-0

Top 2 vs. Ian W. w/ Chandelure

Game 1: I misplay early on here, I forget I played Pichu because I never used it so I miss the perfect time to Pichu, instead getting a Magnemite. Anyways I get out 1 Zone, but he gets a good start and I can't really do too much to him. I play it out though, end up losing quite badly. GG.

0-1

Game 2: Similar to Game 1, I never get a Zone up though, and end up just Outraging for most of the game and sometimes Bolt Striking. I make it close but imsplay once more here by not Retreating Zekrom when I should have, so I lose the game. GG!

0-2

5-1

Props:

James
Kabir
Bidier
2nd
Championship Points
Friends
Opponents
Staff
Cor
Kevin
Ricky
Amelia for actually showing up!

Slops:

1 Magneton!
Super slow food at cafe. =/

Last edited:
How do you lose to Chandelure?!?
Anyways, gj on 2nd and getting 21 CPs after just 5 tournaments.
P.S. are you going next week?
P.P.S. Power Spray.

Dialga Master - Thank you. =) Yeah I had 16 before Sunday, gained 5 so now at 21. All my points have been from 3 tournaments lol.

Cor - I am very sorry for disappointing you, Cor. =(

Joey - Because it is good, I only play 1 Magneton and he plays Vileplume (already bad matchup there), and he plays Jirachi. And thank you!

P.S. Yep, for both Saturday and Sunday for once!
P.P.S. Power Power Spray.

Oliver - Whoo I'm beating you! =P Thanks.

Julian - Haha yeah, if I play it again I'll be using more than 1 Magneton.

Bidier - I'm sure it is, but not when Trainer lock is popular.

Dialga Master - I do indeed like trains!

Oliver - Nah, I reserve those epic plays for the bigger tournaments. ;)

Amelia - Of course, how could I forget? Added that to props. =P Thank you.

Congrats on 2nd place man! Be sure to read and comment mine if you wish! Regionals really put me back a pot this year :( I'm at 11 cp ATM not the greatest.
Posted with Mobile style...

Thanks! Yeah I wasn't really expecting to get very far in the first part of the season, you can still come back in the second half though with 3 States and Regs. =)

Back