Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

35 MK Choy 7-2 I'm horrible at this game (US Nats report)

ShadowTogetic

I arrived to Columbus Wednesday night, got my badge, walked around in the TCG Hall a bit, and headed back to hotel room to watch TV. Thursday, registered my events, decided to play in the Modified constructed side event with Ape. Came 4th place, pulled Torterra Lv X. Played in Modified constructed Friday with Ape again, dropped after 5th round because of hunger. Friday night, played a 2-3 games in my hotel room with my Nats deck after dinner, then watched TV till midnight and slept. Saturday came, registered my deck, and waited for my FlygonLutions to come out into US Nationals.

Round 1
Nancy Lynch - ArcyDoom
Close game. I had to Wapper Point her to avoid that T2 Arcy ex. She had me for a while until I had to sac the Espy ex due to the Stragh Charm. Once I KO'd the only Arcy with energy on it, she couldn't come back. GG
1-0

Round 2
Some Lady - FlyBlaz
She mulligan'd and realized she was playing the newest Flygon ex. My strategy was to kill the Trapinches because Blaziken can't do anything to my Flex. I did that, and went downhill for her.
2-0

Round 3
Suzanne Gettys - Lucario Machamp
I drew crap, my short term memory decided to blank out on me.
2-1

LUNCH
Line in food court was way too long, decided to skip lunch

Round 4
Vince Krekeler - Ambush
Vince is such a nice guy. He made the game more fun, rather than having the both of us go serious on this one. I got a T3 Flex and he couldn't come back. He knew T3 Flex was difficult and we just played as much as we could. Still, it was nice playing him.
3-1

Round 5
Dawn Marie Fountain - Banette ex
For the first time in a Nationals, I play someone from NY. And she even said "We're gonna play each other" right after the previous round. To start things off, we whiff on energy most of the game. The moment I got an energy before she could get the second energy on her Banny, I attached to Eevee and started to Umbry the Banny. I pulled off a Flex quickly so I wouldn't be stuck with nothing if Umbry got KO'd. She kept whiffing on energy so she couldn't come back.
4-1

Round 6
Some guy - Delta
Very very fast Flex sweeps through this deck
5-1

Round 7
Some guy - Metalix
Like last round, I got an early Flex and took 3 prizes within the second attack. Steelix was problematic because I couldn't one shot it but I damaged it enough to put it in the danger zone. He decided to bench it and misplayed by attacking with Metagross rather than Latios ex. I one shot'd the Meta and he Ice Barrier'd hoping to stall. All I did after was say Devo Flash for the win.
6-1

Round 8
Shawn Gettys - Elekible/Draggy
Unable to one shot Elekible + Briney = hard to come back.
6-2

Round 9
Steven Z - Machamp Stantler Ray ex
Interesting deck. Seeing how it was rogue, I didn't know how to out play it. He had me on the ropes but the moment I got Flex, I had the upper hand. Even though I couldn't one shot the Champ (new weakness rules FTL) I managed to hurt the bench a LOT. With 2 Flex in play, he couldn't come back.
7-2

Standings posted, I come 35. Picture to prove it: http://pokegym.net/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=24065

Props
Meeting all the people at Nationals. You guys know who you are =D
Coming 7-2 with a deck that was built only 2 weeks ago and only tested around thrice with it
Max and Erma's for the 2 pounds of food that I finished
A friend for driving us to the hotel from the airport and back
Bolt's dad for driving us to JFK
Starbucks for being cheaper than NY's
Thomas A for making T4 and going to Hawaii
Jimmy Ballard for signing my Eeveelutions
Eric Craig for signing my Absol ex
Waiting 15 seconds for our seats in Max and Erma's

Slops
Angel for not listening to me about MetaNite
Having to spend $20 on dinner
Making 35th
The moron dealer who wanted my Lugia ex for $2

More if I can think of them

Last edited:
MK - I'm glad we had a couple of Cherim's for you!

It was nice meeting you and hanging out at the airport with you. Fun game of Bling too!! You are fast at that game!!! :smile: See you around! Hope you were able to get your flight home on time.

By the way.......7-2 is awesome!!! You were among such a huge field!!

Sorry I killed you with my resistance.....

You got to see my deck flop firsthand!

You were fun to play, and truly a class act....

See you soon!

Vince

Steve: Thanks a lot. Enjoy your stay in Hawaii =) It was nice meeting your wife and daughter for the first time
Patty: It was nice meeting you. Thanks to the both of you for the Cherrim. The games with everybody at the airport were fun, I really enjoyed it. And there weren't any problems with my flight so it was smooth =)
Matt: It was nice meeting you, I'm trying to see if I can think of any possible way to get the standings up
John "Multi": Thanks. It was nice hanging around with you in the convention center, truly one of the coolest people I've met for the first time. And I know you will enjoy Hawaii
Vince: I'm not blaming you for my resistance, it was bound to happen that there would be at least a couple of people who wouldn't make it. Your deck didn't flop, you couldn't draw what you needed. The game we played was fun =D
Christian: ILY <33333

Awesome MK. It's so bad that you wiffed the cut, if anyone has sour grapes, you should be the one to have them.

ILU MY LITTLE ASAIN <3 MIKE JONES!!!! And yea starbucks cheaper in ohio, we should both be thankful that there was a starbucks there to begin with in ohio. Anyways Nice Jobs and obviously your time will come your too hawt for it not too

Brian: Thanks a lot. I'll see you at States/Regionals
Josef: Oh yea, we'll keep getting worse
Ash: Yea I am
Mikey: Yea, I definitely should have sour grapes. The truth is out there!!!
APT: It was nice meeting you too. Yea, being part of that bubble was lame.
Gengar: My name isn't Matt. It's MK. Thanks though
Edwin: MIKE WHO?!?!?! I was glad the Starbucks was near my hotel =D
Lawrence: I will keep getting worse. After all, I am horrible at this

Thanks for the comments, everyone

I felt bad that you came in 35th. At least you had fun. GJ MK and GL at the next tourney you go to.

-Peter

Back