Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd Colo Regionals with Donphan.

thechubbss12

Well for starters we had a great great time in Colo. Everyone was way more friendly then I had expected and the judging staff was pretty solid. I meet alot of good kids I look foward too seeing agian at Nats and possibly worlds.

Just so everyone knows... This deck isnt your typical Donkphan, I wanted this deck too combine Early and late game ability and too avoid as many donks as possible too prove that Donphan can be a skill play deck.

Pokemon (20)
4 Phanphy (60 HP)
4 Donphan Prime
2 Baltoy GE
2 Claydol GE
2 Uxie LA
2 Gratinia (Let Loose)
1 Regirock LA
1 Whismur
1 Exploud (Erasing Sound)
1 Azelf (Time Walk)

Trainers (30)
4 Roseannes Research
4 SSU
3 Bebes Search
3 Pokemon Communication
3 Stark Mountian
3 Warp Point
3 Expert Belt
2 Felicitys Drawing
2 Rare Candy
2 Night Maitence
1 Luxary Ball

NRG (10)
2 Multi
8 Fighting

Round 1 1-0
Donphan V Luxchomp
Pretty much and Auto win for me... I get the T2 Donphan Belted with a Let Loose, it hurts him and he doesnt even realy set up.. Sorreh bro

Round 2 2-0
Donphan V Rogue Water
T1 Let Loose wins me the game because he doesnt get anything more then Abomosnow... I pull 6 prizes too his 0 Damage.

Round 3 3-0
Donphan V Luxchomp
Kid made me play for it alittle more then my R1 game. but ultimitly it came down too me Warping for the last 3 Prizes and him not being able too do anything about it.

Round 4 4-0
Donphan V Cursegar
This matchup for me is never fun... Because I always pull ahead 2-3 prizes only so they can Flip heads on Feignting spell and make a game out of it... Well that happend lol, But I Drop 2 Warp Points too pull out the win.

Round 5 Taylor Davis (Oklahoma Kid) 5-0
Donphan V Gyrados
I tech for this specific matchup and end up dropping the T2 Let Loose and proceede too draw GOD. I get T2 Exploud, Claydol and a Donphan. I hit 2 Crucial heads on SSU mid game and he wiffed on Belting his bat so I pulled out the Late game Warp Point win.

Round 6 6-0
Donphan V Gyrados
Im worried because I dont know his list what so ever, But Let Loose Does the Trick and I get a T4 Exploud right before he gets a Gyrados up and attacking.

Round 7 Breton 6-1
Donphan V Luxchomp
Well im feeling very very confident in this matchup... But I open my hand and realise I have no trainers and I start with a Uxie... I proceede too draw NOOO supporter until the turn before he gets his 6th prize...

Alright well I made it through Swiss as 4th Seed, I can live with that knowing im not playing Oklahoma I was feeling good.

Top 16
Donphan V Donphan
Game 1
I Rare Candy Donphan for the Win
Win
Game 2
This game played out much much better then the Last.. We setup at the same speed, Bit I land 1 Crucial SSU roll and I also play Start + Regirock So late too mid game I have the larger set up and proceede too pull my last 3 prizes Via Warp Point.
Win

Its always nice too win the mirror but I realy felt bad for Donking him game 1... I dont think there is anything I hate more then winning on a Donk... So I felt like trash until I found out I had too play Alec, I was super super stressing because he has tested with me the day before and knew my list... Ontop of the fact that he is only 15 and is already and very good player. We are called in and I was ready too walk away with Top 8 finish lol.

Top 8 Alec (Texas kid with a super cute mom =) )
Donphan V Gyrados
Game 1
I get a pretty fail start and he Rolls me
Lose

Ohh man I am now super dependant on getting a good start here =/, We set up slowly and I draw my hand... its decent but I want too go second

Game 2
I Let Loose Him T1 and T2 away 2 Pokemon Collectors he used from Sableye, this super stalls his setup... but he draws into an Azelf which gets him a Regice and He plays a 3 collector for 3x Karps and gets the setup minus BTS. Next turn it was get Exploud of lose a Belted Donphan, which I proceede too do and I Scoop up the Donphan the next turn to promote a non belted Donphan with 3 NRG and Drop start too get rid of his BTS. Game came down too a Crucial Draw of a Warp Point. GG bro you played super well, but you should have picked up your Gyrados over the Bat lol.
Win

Game 3
I Let Loose for the First 3 turns and gets rid of 3 Pokemon Collectors I also get a T2 Exploud. Long story short It comes down too him not Belting a Crobat G. Because I cant 1 hit a Belted Bat I would have lost had it been belted...
Win

Whew this is now my torney too lose... I know my Top 4 Opponent is Breton who is playing Luxchomp and that SHOULD be my Autowin... But well yea... hes just too good.

Top 4 Breton (Colo kid)
Donphan V Luxchomp
Game 1
I get the T2 Donphan but in order too do so I had to Discard and SSU and Warp Point with Felicitys Drawing... =/ Terribad call, he Pulls my Gratinia up with Luxray and kills my Doll. I have the awnser and warp out of it, because he picked up his Luxray and had already played 2 SP Radar I SSU the Gratinia and Let Loose in order too slow or Mess up his Setup... He donks the Premier ball off of the 4 card hand and Drags up my Gratinia... He slowly snipes off 5 prizes for the win...
Loss

Alright well knowing how he wants too play this game I know not too drop Gratinia.

Game 2
FAIL... just FAIl... I start with GRATINIA FML. I turn 1 Warp it out of active and attach an NRG too Phanphy then Pass. He procedes too pull up my Gratinia the rest of the game until im out of Warps/ SSUs
Loss

Well I score a 3rd place finish... Breton is a great great player.... Although the Kettler rule might throw him off of his 2:45 min turn times lol. Either way for all the crap I gave him at the torney Im glad hes the Colo player that beat me. Breton Ill lose too you any day man, nothing better then a humble dude who just loves too play the game.

Last edited:
Lol, "Kettler Rule"?

Great job, Sidney. Lookin forward to seeing ya at the next tourney/s.

You were awesome Sidney! I was so happy to see you take home glass - even if it meant I didn't get to pack another piece of glass in my car. See you at Nats.

Love ya kid,
Alec's mom

Last edited:
GJ Sid! I was really hoping for you vs me in top 2 man! We still roomin' @ nats? Should be a few of us to drop costs.

Kettler- Ya bro the rule that says you have too make a play within 30 seconds or its considered stalling lol. Ill see you at nats mang.

Thanx alot too everyone I had alot of fun getting too meet alot of the Colo and Utah players.

this is the most interesting donphan deck ive ever seen, u mind postin up the deck cuz i want to try different variants of Donphan
plz n thanks

why felicitys over copycat/wager/theory? also why 2 multi, for azelf? Just curious, i do like the list. Was 2 candies really enough?

Last edited:
why felicitys over copycat/wager/theory? also why 2 multi, for azelf? Just curious, i do like the list. Was 2 candies really enough?

Felicity allowed him to regi-stark without needing a poke to be KO'd first. Hit the nail on the head for multi.

Back