Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

3rd Place (6-2) Singapore CC / Steelix / Masters

malikhisyam

So my family went down to Singapore for holiday and I managed to squeeze in a two-day City Championships over in my neighbouring country.

63 Masters
6 rounds, Top8
Steelix

Round 1 : Nelson C. - Gyarados
I start with the usual Smeargle/Sableye and start disrupting him early game with a couple of Judges through Sableye. I'm pretty sure he prized more than 1 of his Karps as he struggles to get an early Gdos hitting for 90, and instead hits for 60, which I answer with a Flash Bite + Gaia Crush + Belt to knock it out and discard his BTS. He doesn't lay down another BTS next turn and struggles to get another Gyarados until next turn so I take another prize. When he does get another Gyarados running he drops a Mesprit to prevent me from OHKOing the Dos with Flash Bite, but I answer with Pluspower to knock it out. Game goes down for him from that point on and I take the remaining prizes.

1-0

Round 2 : Nic Merrow S. - LuxChomp/Drifblim UD
My Smeargle start gets poisoned so I couldn't setup for a few turns as I did not start with any of my collectors or draw into them at all. When I do draw into an Uxie, he sprays it as he takes the prize lead. Eventually I do get a Steelix up and running though, and started to Gaia Crush everything he sends out. He had started with Drifloon so I did not hesitate to setup another Steelix on my bench as he had already laid down a Drifloon with one energy on his bench.

It started raining. Lol. And the spot we were playing at was the only place slightly hit by the rain. The very hardworking and friendly organizer borrowed an umbrella and stood over us to protect the cards. :)

He did exactly what I had expected, Take Away my Steelix, which I respond to with another Steelix. Time is called and prizes were at 3-3. He had wasted a lot of resources to get those 2 other KOs and couldn't do much, and at the end of the 3 turns prizes were already 1-3 my favour.

2-0

Round 3 : Joshua T. - ShuppetDONK
Had a goooood scare here. Luckily for me he started first and when I saw Shuppet and Uxie, I knew what I had to do. Benched 2 Sableyes in order for me to keep Judging him after using up his Uxies and cards. I Judged him twice to deny him of taking free prizes, (he only manages 1 or 2) before having a Steelix with seriously, a lot of SP Metals on it. I kept a Judge in hand in case he makes a comeback and start taking prizes. At one point I retreated the damaged Steelix for a fresh one and dropped a third SP Metal on it (Shaymin moved the other SP metals) which was crucial as next turn he dropped 3 Pluspowers and an expert belt on banette which could potentially KO the Steelix. (I think not though, I didn't really do the calculations, I was just playing it safe) He really couldn't do anything from that point on, to the Psychic resistant tank and scooped.

3-0

Round 4 : Belp F. - LuxChomp/Blaziken FB
Steelix gets donked.

3-1

Round 5 : Yi Xun N. - Magnezone/Ampharos/Manectric
Before the pairings were announced I was actually sitting down and chatting away with him, Clifton, Jake and a few others, joking about the chances of meeting with each other in the coming rounds. Spoke too soon as I played against him, while Jake had to play Clifton.

Everything he dropped was resistant to Metal. :( He managed to get 2 Ampharos Prime and 2 Magnezone Prime so I did not have a clue on how to approach his deck, kept a prize lead early on but Magnezone is able to one shot my belted Steelix so he catches up and it goes down to time. He had an energyless Magnezone Prime active with about 80 damage on it, and was trying to charge up Ampharos. He doesn't attach energies on the active Magnezone as he knew that I would be able to KO it if I chose to, so basically he was locked with a heavy active Pokemon. I opt to tank Steelix up to be ready for an attack as it had already been damaged, so I go for 2 Energy Streams on the Magnezone putting it on 120 damage. Time is called on my turn and prizes were 4-5 my favour. My Steelix had an Expert Belt and could potentially be KO'd to make it a tie or prizes so I choose to retreat the Steelix and KO the Magnezone Prime with a Sableye with 40 damage on it, laying a bat drop on the Magnezone so Sableye has more HP. Next turn he couldn't take 2 prizes on me, as he had planned to KO the Steelix which he can't do now so I have game. TOO CLOSE.

4-1

Round 6 : Dennis P. - Gyarados
I felt terribly sorry for him as at first what I thought was a regular bad start was actually a whole bad hand and junk draws for him. I go first with Crobat active and Unown Q benched. He drops Belt and Rescue Energy on Azelf and I thought it was just a sign of desperation that he has a bad hand, so I go next and opt to not go for the donk and start setting up with sableye and I don't Judge him seeing as he has a big and useless hand. His turn, he draw passes and I started to go for the donk, dropping Uxie with Energy and PlusPower and then copycat but couldn't do enough damage as he had Expert Belt, so I attack him and don't go under the deck. His turn he draws, and picks up his deck. :(

5-1

I get into Top8, which is the next day. :)

Top8 : Shaun G. - LuxChomp

Game 1
I gave away 3 prizes while charging up Steelix and Judged him 3 times to slow him down early up, before taking my 6 prizes. Was a pretty straightforward game.

(6-1)

Game 2
It was my mistake of giving away one too many prizes early game which costed me the game as he managed to keep attacking around to bring prizes down to 1-1 at one point. He managed to Luxray something up from my bench for the last prize bringing it to game 3. At one point I got a warning for using Potrait without using any supporter, and he called a judge on me when it got to his turn. He had a Bebe and I could have just shuffled my deck, which was how the judge resolved the situation. Didn't want any trouble. :/

(6-2)

Game 3
I misplayed twice early game, one was I accidentally dropped a SP metal on Sableye. Onix was next to it. This was just my mistake and it wouldn't have affected the opponent -.-'' The other misplay got me a second warning, I accidentally Impersonated a Judge but dropped a Collector into the discard pile by mistake. The cards were stuck together and I pulled the wrong one, it happens. :/ I halfway shuffled my hand into the deck when I realized the Collector had been discarded so I pulled it out and the Judge resolves the situation by giving my opponent a prize and letting me use Collector instead of Judge. Had I shuffled my hand I would have gotten a game loss probably. MANNN. I needed to calm down lol. I setup and got a Steelix doing Energy Stream early on his Smeargle leaving it with 10HP left (Belt and Bats) He has a slower setup and I manage to get board control doing Gaia Crush for a few more prizes as he slowly gets some damage on Steelix. Time is called prizes 5-3 in my favour and he gets a KO on the Steelix which didn't have a Belt on it (Different Steelix from before, switched at some point) as I send up another one doing Energy Stream tanking up with 2 SP Metals giving me game as prizes were in my favour after 3 turns.

(7-2)
6-1

Top4 : Kelvin L. ChenLock.

:(

Game 1
I setup and deny him a quick setup with heavy Sableye Judging early game which got me my first Steelix with SP Metal and E-Belt. I could not draw into more SP Metals and as I start striking with Steelix to take 2 prizes he does a Bat Drop into a Jet Shoot on Steelix knocking it out. I manage to do a miracle kill on the Blaziken with Uxie + 3 PlusPowers + 2 Bat Drops but the game went downhill for me as he Garchompsniped my benched Onix and even when I do get a Steelix, he's laid 2 Blazikens on his bench, -_- I scoop.

(7-3)

Winnable ? Maybe. NOT. :(

Game 2
I let him go first as I have a double Smeargle, Unown Q start but no Collector. :/ He opens Azelf and drops Uxie to prevent the donk. If I had collector in my hand I would have donked him as I potraited into a Seeker leaving him with 1 basic but I had no resources to KO him. E-Belt and Pluspower were both in my hand and I was practically hitting myself for not being able to make it a third game. From then on I managed to hold my own as he only manages to grab 2 prizes on me after my heavy early game judging. I charged a Steelix with 2 SP Metals and prizes were at 5-3. For a few turns he stops KOing my Pokemon giving me time to get 2 more SP Metals into my hand from a Copycat. I warp energy away the locked up Sableye from active and send Steelix up to get prizes as it was getting close to time. He couldn't one shot the Steelix with Blaziken so he dropped another Blaziken with fire and proceeds to use Vapor Kick for 30 leaving me with 40 damage (He did a Crobat drop earlier) I had another Steelix on bench and was trying desperately to get Shaymin to transfer the energies on the other Steelix but it was prized, and my Azelf had been knocked out. I laid another SP Metal on Steelix to make it 4 but he still has JUST enough to knock it out. Had the Shaymin not been prized I would have had a better chance at making it a game 3, as he had burned through his Poketurns. I shook his hand after he knocked out the Steelix to scoop.

(7-4)
6-2

And so I finished 3rd. First topcut in Masters ever since moving up. :) Yeah I know it's a bit late but it's better than never. MY sister finished 2nd in Juniors and was denied of a second Cities medal. :(

Credits :
Erik Nance for Steelix
Lip Yee for the deck concept
Richard and Shane for testing
Ujin for an excellently-ran tournament

Props :
Steelix
Fun days with GREAT games with a lot of players for once, compared to Malaysia
Made a lot of new friends

Slops :
Hot venue lol I sweated through both days
Noisy Pokemon show in background lol
Fire

Last edited:
Interesting choice with sableye and Smeargle as a starter. Steelix really needs a fire counter even though there isnt really room. Great job :]

Smeargle is a great card to setup with, but it relies a lot on luck to get that extra edge on your opponent. (A T1 supporter going first is always great) while Sableye is a more consistant setup card which I found really helps especially once you manage to slow down your opponent with Judge. Getting the right supporter when you want it in this deck REALLY helps. Thanks. :)

Back