Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

#44 Place US Nationals Report

The Gorn

Considering that I haven't had a reason to do a tournament report in years, I figure finishing #44 gives me one.

So here it is.

My US Nats report - I'm number 44 baby!

I played a Gengar/Shedinja deck with a 1-1 Dugtrio tossed in to protect the bench. Doesn't sound like much, does it? Jonathan Anderson looked it over and said "This deck sucks." I was 6-2 at the time, so it was easy to disagree with him, but he knows his Shedinjas, so who am I to say.

I played this in the last few Battle Roads and (a) it was fun to play and (b) I did surprisingly well with it.

Except for two words - Cessation Crystal. That thing demoralizes my deck. My pokemanz commit suicide when they see it. But there can only be so many Crystals in a deck, plus I've got some Windstorms, plus I knock out a Pokemon who has a Crystal attached every once in a while - so it works out. (I really think CC should be errata'd to only affect Poke-POWERS. Really. Anyone? Beuller?)

So here goes...

Rounds 1 - Thereisa (or something like that - the spelling hurt my brain) (Machamp/Lucario)
I hate this matchup because of the previously mentioned Cessation Crystal. Immediately I figured that I had an 0-1 start and it sure looked that way at the beginning. But somewhere along the line I got rid of enough Crystals to get myself back in the game. I somehow made a comeback, took a 2 prize to 4 lead and won on time. Those Holon Circles come in handy at the end, buying me a little time and letting me find more stuff! (FWIW, this deck almost always goes to the time limit.)
1-0

Round 2 - Ben something (Sorry I forgot your name.)
I don't really recall what he was playing, but he was really there for his son, so it was good. We had a pleasant game and I won. Ben, if you're reading this, I hope your son enjoyed himself.
2-0

Round 3 - Eric E. (Professor Cup Champion) (Infernape)
At the point I'm in uncharted waters. A 2-0 start for me at National is a freaky event. I figured my luck had run out, especially considering the caliber of player that Eric is. I got a very good start and seemed to have most of what I needed in hand. It looked to me like Eric was having trouble getting Delcattys out. I beat a few Infernaps during Battle Roads and getting rid of the cats early is the key for me winning this matchup. I got a pretty strong setup. I had good stuff through most of the game and had 2 prizes left and Eric had 3 prizes. Time was running out and I sniped a Skitty on his bench to take a 1 prize to 3 lead, almost insurmountable given the circumstances (i.e., time and damage on his other Pokemon). A couple of other things happened and Eric killed another of my Pokes (Dunsparce maybe) and time was called. I expected to see a 1-2 prize count, but instead it was 2-2. I had forgotten to take my prize for the Skitty! I called the judge and explained the situation. Eric said that I had indeed KO'd Skitty, not taken a prize, and that he would allow me to draw the prize. Very classy Eric.
3-0

Round 4 - Sue Getty (Machamp/Lucario)
Again, tough matchup for me. Sue is Shawn's wife, very nice lady. All I really remember about this is a lot of death of my side of the table and an error - I hit Sue's Lucario (which was asleep) with Haunter's 2nd attack, dealing 60. She scooped up Lucario and I drew a prize. She brought up another Pokemon that was going to do more harm to me and drew a card. At that point I said that Lucario should not have been knocked out. We were both counting the damage as double (old rules) and Lucario's weakness made it only 80 - Lucario LIVES! We rewound it, fixed it, and she wiped me out. How's that for appreciation?
3-1

Round 5 - David Coates (Speed Spread)
I've played against this deck before, beaten a couple of good players using it, and knew it was possible to beat it. But it's a tough tough matchup and I didn't feel comfortable going in. I had good fortune in getting set up and got good draws throughout. Time was called and I was ahead on prizes. (David and I were both surprised as we were looking at the clock and saw much time left - but it was the wrong clock!) I was fortunate because he was about to take 2 (or 3) prizes if he got what he was looking for (which apparently was either on top of the deck or the next card down). Luck is on my side for a change.
4-1

Round 6 - Chris Fulop (Speed Spread)
I had never played Chris before. Typically I would have been at 170 in the 6th round and Chris would have set up a lunch buffet on Table 3. But this day was different. Having just played Speed Spread and lucking out, I was still feeling good about my chances. Chris snuffed that out pretty quick. Not that a better start would have helped, but I got very little to begin with and got beaten down fast from there. GJ Chris. Sorry I didn't give you a better game and show you the power of a fully operational Gengar/Shedinja. (That doesn't really sound as menacing as I'd hoped.)
4-2

So now I'm 4-2. By this time, I've usually got 3 or 4 losses and am in the process of dropping and deciding where my daughter and I are going to have dinner. This is very confusing for me. I go buy a hot dog, fries, and water, and am so bewildered that I actually forget to get my water. Those guys still owe me water!

Round 7 - Larry Altavilla (Eeveelutions)
So Larry and I go 1000 miles just to play one another. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but it's still pretty strange. I always like playing Larry. He's a good guy and an underrated player. Another good game ensued and I end up pulling it out. I think it was (again) on time. (FYI, going the full time REALLY takes a toll. That's a lot of Pokeman.)
5-2

Round 8 - Noel (Banette/Houndoom)
I hate to say it, but I like this matchup. I've got Cursed Stones in my deck just for this kind of thing and if I can get set-up, I'll be ok. But I start a little slow. Noel shows concern, but I think he's overly worried and think he still has the edge. A few things happen and things turn my way. But then it happens. I played a Tranceiver, got a Cowboy (props to Sniper), and drew my cards. I place damage counters and let Cursed Stone take care of the rest, drawing 3 prizes (I knocked out Banette ex and something else with a Power). Noel draws, puts down a Pokemon, attaches energy, and say "I don't think you should have been able to play that Tranceiver." Houndoom was out and activated. I so rarely play against Houndoom I didn't even think twice about it. We get a judge who gives us the "it's both of your responsibility" speech (good speech, and true), gives me a prize penalty, and gives a warning to Noel. But it's really too late at that point. All Noel has left is an energy-less Houndoom who has 2 turns to live.
6-2

Round 9 - Alex Wooten (Ambush)
Here's what worries me about this deck - Cessation Crystal. Yeah, I've said it before, but what it does to Shedinja is just mean. But, again, there can only be so many and (a) I can Windstorm a couple and (b) I can knock out Pokemon that has it attached. If I can get rid of the Crystal, Dugtrio saves the day. But it was not to be. About 6 or so turns into the game, I realize (a) my bench is full, (b) every card I have in play is a basic, and (c) I have only 1 energy card either in play or in my hand. On top of that, my hand is full of useless junk. I'm a goner. All I remember is Alex drawing a card and my Pokemon jumping into the discard pile. I tried to go to my "happy place" but there was Alex, making out with my Grandma (Happy Gilmore reference). I wish I'd had a better start to see how it matched up, but it wasn't happening. GJ Alex, contrats on making top 32.
6-3

So I finished 6-3 and #44 overall. Giving myself some props, I was the highest ranking player from Florida outside of those who made the cut.

I was very happy doing so well against so many good players with a deck that was all mine.

Props and slops? Sure!

Props
Eric Craig for just being AWESOME!
John Silvestro for having what is probably one of the greatest weekends in Pokemon history. This hasn't been your best year Pokemon-wise, but you peaked when it counted most.
Heidi Craig - top 32 for the be TO in the country - BAR NONE.
Jim Roll - Also top 32 from Florida. Jim knows his deck really well and plays the heck out of it. Congrats to Grafton as well.
Aaron Curry - Another top 32 from Florida. Well done. Always competitive.
Larry Altavilla - Congratulations to Danny. He had a great year.
All the other Florida folk - you smelled better than most of the other players. GJ
My North Carolina friends - always fun to get together. The Hills, Millers, Reynolds, and of course, Denise and Michael Barlock. We may be seeing you up in Raleigh in a couple of weeks (maybe).
Tim Foley - You do realized that I could ruin your social life if I so choose. Remember that!
Renee and Ivan - Always great gaming with you. No connector!
Gym Leader Phil - Nice showing Phil. You should play more often.
All the people I played - you were all good sports.
Chris Fulop - it was nice finally meeting you and, of course, congrats on your win.
Noel - And I thought all Iowa had was corn and Radar O'Reilly. If all Iowans are as good folk as you, I think I like Iowa.
All those people who recognized me as the Pokepedia guy. I really enjoyed talking to all of you. I may not impact the game through my playing, but I'm glad that the Pokepedia is useful to so many people. (One note - traffic on the Pokepedia increased about 40% in the 2 weeks leading up to Nationals. I thought that was funny.)
"You're the Dick Cheney of Pokemon" - I would have never thought that people would (a) pick up on that and (b) recognize me as the one who said it. I'll bet I heard that 6 times on Saturday! LOL
Alex Wooten - I dreamed about you last night. You were still killing my Pokemon.

Slops
Judging - Game loss for no prizes? C'mon. Too harsh.
Judging - A girl goes to the wrong table, plays the wrong opponent, and all she gets is a warning? There should be at least a prize penalty for being stupid.
Judging - A kid shuffles his hand into his deck and it's a prize penalty (instead of a game loss)? Too bad he wasn't playing the wrong opponent - he would have probably been given a win.
Did I mention Judging? This is MY report and MY opinion is that the judging was weaker than in past years. Here's hoping it's better next year. (Don't bother disagreeing with me. I'm right - and you know it.)

MIA
Jim Ferrell, Jake Burt, Jacy Sturkie - Where were you guys!? Nationals was a lesser event without you. (I don't know Martin, but I would have personally liked for him to have been there defending his title. He's the funniest guy on the Pokegym.)

GREAT report Dave- very colorful and informative. Sounds like you had fun- you
sure played great. Wonderful showing!

Again, imagine if you cared............... ;)

Take care Mr. Gorn

And thanks for the props, I appreciate it.

MIA
Jim Ferrell, Jake Burt, Jacy Sturkie - Where were you guys!? Nationals was a lesser event without you. (I don't know Martin, but I would have personally liked for him to have been there defending his title. He's the funniest guy on the Pokegym.)

Nationals was definitely missing a lot of great NC players at this event. : (

Good report by the way.

Thanks for the kind words Dave. It has been one roller coaster of a year! At least my car will have a chance to recover from all of the trips! Danny thanks you as well. He knows this is going to be the TOUGHEST World's yet and he is really nervous!
Since I did have to play my 3rd Florida challenger (Anthoy C and my nephew Colton), I'm glad it was you. You seem to come up with some really creative ideas for decks (Gengar/Shedinja) IT WAS GREAT!! I LOVE SHEDINJA!! I used it earlier in the year with Politoed Ex and Dunsparce. (not too successful, but fun). So I ended up 6 - 3 as well...all three of my losses came to the Florida players...TALK ABOUT BAD LUCK, HUH!!!
See you again in the fall...

MIA

Sorry about that Dave. I've been in Switzerland for the last two weeks with the wife and baby. Bonjour!

Anthony - I don't want to play you. I can never win.
Sniper - Thanks! I'll be pulling for you in Hawaii.
Hot Carl - I had no idea that was you. I know your handle but didn't put the 2 together.
Ryan - Thanks! Always good seeing you and Alex at events. Where was Randy!? Just not the same...
Larry - Have fun in Hawaii and good luck grinding in.
Jake - Figured you couldn't win and decided to take on Team Von Trapp? You're incorrigible.
Johnny - I was telling someone that it just doesn't seem like a real tournament unless you're there. I can't explain it. Congrats to your son. He made it in, right?
Chrome/Erik/Phazon - Thanks! It was a great time.

BTW, I think it was Johnny who had the greatest idea for the Jr/Sr players who wanted to play but not risk their rankings - play up a division. Not sure if any of the Juniors or Seniors did, but I thought it was a brilliant idea.

I'll admit, I thought the deck was dumb at first too...... but you're just SO GOOD at pokemon that it doesn't matter ;D

Good job sir!

Some would say I'm a GENIOUS!

Actually, this deck reminds me of my girlfriend from high school - Dumb, but fun.

I name this deck Susie!

Jonathan Anderson looked it over and said "This deck sucks." I was 6-2 at the time, so it was easy to disagree with him, but he knows his Shedinjas, so who am I to say.
I thought David said that. I found it funny about how you had to go out of your way to find non-foil Shedinjas.

Tim Foley - You do realized that I could ruin your social life if I so choose. Remember that!
The joke's on you - I have no social life! :lol:

...but there was Alex, making out with my Grandma
There's an image I didn't want :nonono:

Judging - Game loss for no prizes? C'mon. Too harsh.
Ah, we're all listing that in our slops.

Judging - A girl goes to the wrong table, plays the wrong opponent, and all she gets is a warning? There should be at least a prize penalty for being stupid.
Player in the Mutant tournament got a game loss for that. But the Mutant draft is a more serious tournament, so the penalties are stricter :rolleyes:

Dave - I checked that out with PUI and they said maybe next year as this year they were not equipped in doing that! Also imagine the stink that would have made if all those out of age division games that didnt count for points actually lost someone the trip?

Dave great job!!! It was great seeing you and Caitlyn. We sure do miss you up here in NC. Always great seeing the different decks you play and glad to see a non-archtype do so well.

Round 8 - Noel (Banette/Houndoom)
I hate to say it, but I like this matchup. I've got Cursed Stones in my deck just for this kind of thing and if I can get set-up, I'll be ok. But I start a little slow. Noel shows concern, but I think he's overly worried and think he still has the edge. A few things happen and things turn my way. But then it happens. I played a Tranceiver, got a Cowboy (props to Sniper), and drew my cards. I place damage counters and let Cursed Stone take care of the rest, drawing 3 prizes (I knocked out Banette ex and something else with a Power). Noel draws, puts down a Pokemon, attaches energy, and say "I don't think you should have been able to play that Tranceiver." Houndoom was out and activated. I so rarely play against Houndoom I didn't even think twice about it. We get a judge who gives us the "it's both of your responsibility" speech (good speech, and true), gives me a prize penalty, and gives a warning to Noel. But it's really too late at that point. All Noel has left is an energy-less Houndoom who has 2 turns to live.
6-2

Noel - And I thought all Iowa had was corn and Radar O'Reilly. If all Iowans are as good folk as you, I think I like Iowa.

Good report and good deck, Mr. Dave Christian. And thanks for giving me something I can sig with.

You did really well at Nats and played with an original deck. and you gotta love that. I didnt know how to play against your deck. People dont give that gengar enough credit. Ppl argue 'oh it only works if you flip heads.' well that attack being on the board totally affects how your opponent plays against you. they'll rarely ever have an ex up on the active slot knowing that it can be KOed next turn with a flip.

combo a heads with cursed stone and i'm gone. so yeah. props for your win.

i think i would have needed a god start and donked and flipped the reversals to have a shot against your deck.

Back