Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

4th Place Finish Missouri States Report!!! Go Teams Hatter, Kevin and Sam, and GTS!!!

kristi

Well, to start, I played Rampardos at TN States last weekend, and I went 3-2 because I got T2'd one round, so I ended up 6th with a Top 4 Cut. I still liked the deck, but I wasn't too happy with its performance, so I decided to switch to Dialga G this weekend after seeing how well it did in states last weekend. So I walk into league on Thursday and after receiving a flurry of negative comments about my pokemon playing (mainly from Tino) Clay says how I'm really predectable and that he would have put money on the fact that I would be playing Dialga that day, which I was. I took this as sort of a challenge and after seeing how boring dialga was, I decided that I had to find something else to play before Saturday morning. After a lot of thinking too hard and such, I decide to go back to a deck that I built the night before the last CC, and went 7-0 with the next day. Now, I hadn't TOUCHED this deck since that day, but Clay told me to play something I liked and was comfortable with so I said what the hay. Here is the link to the list I used in the CC:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90709

So here is the list that I ended up playing for States yesterday:

Pokemon: 24
1 Dusknoir LV X
2 Dusknoir SF (Darkness Mist)
1 Dusknoir DP
2 Dusclops SF
3 Duskull SW
2 Bronzong MD
2 Bronzor MD
2 Claydol GE
2 Baltoy GE
1 Ampharos SW
1 Mareep PL
1 Azelf LA
1 Uxie LA
1 Spititomb LA
2 Unknown G

Energy: 12
4 Call
8 Psychic

Trainers: 24
3 Rosseane
4 BeBe
4 Rare Candy
4 Poke Drawer+
2 TGWager
2 Cynthia
2 Warp Point
1 Night Maintenance
1 Luxury Ball
1 Premier Ball

After playing it yesterday, I would add a Pachi, add a Wager, 2 Moonlight, 2 Lightning Energy, maybe add a Duskull, play the shiny Duskull, and maybe play another NM or a 1-1 Mewtwo line.

Now, on to the Tournament Report:

I wake up at 4 AM to drive to Missouri, and I sleep/listen to my Ipod most of the way there. We finally get to Eureka B&B Games and I'm happy to be there as soon as I walk through the door. Garret is there, and he doesn't really know anybody yet so he hangs with me while I fill out my decklist for a while. Then Carlos gets there, and Carlos is awesome because he's constantly helping me with my decks, and, he's Carlos! :thumb: So anyway he tells me he doesn't feel like Dusknoir is a good play, but I don't have anything else but Rampardos built, so I just stick with Duskzong. I play AJ in a game before the tournament starts, and I beat his Empoleon Deck pretty easily, so I feel a bit more comfortable.

They announce that we have a total of about 160 Players, and Seniors have a Top 8 Cut with 6 Rounds. Yay!

~Round 1 VS Andrew K with Regigigas~

I know I don't have the best matchup against gigas, but I'm trying to stay positive because I don't want to be one of those people who is always in a crappy mood and nobody wants to play. We setup, and I have a decent start. I get a Dusknoir, Claydol, and a Bronzong out within the first 3 turns, and he has a Gigas, an Uxie X, and a Palkia. He plays a Buck, plays a Snowpoint, and uses Zen Blade on my Bronzong for the kill. I send up the Dusknoir (which only has one energy on it by the way) and Just let his body get a bit of damage on the Uxie X. He gets the Palkia X and Starts killing off my Claydol and any basic I play down. I pull the Mareep Rare Candy Ampharos, and he has Gigas X out by now. I eventually get out the dusknoir X as a stadium, Wager him, and he wins it. He admits that he pulled the best possible hand with it, and I had no chance from there.

0-1

~Round 2 VS Garret S with Kingdra~

I have a positive matchup against Kingdra, and Garret is 1-0 so I'm pretty happy about playing up. :smile: I get a decent set up, and start spreading on his Uxie X and Claydol with Bronzong. He manages to kill a few things off, but I wager him after KOing his support pokemon and I win the wager. He has pretty much nothing, and I go on to win the game after he KO's my Dusky X. Note: He didn't pull a single Rare Candy that game, and he doesn't play any Stadiums. :/ Sorry bud.

1-1

Lunch Break! Thanks to Vince for the Pizza! I head off to Subway because I'm bored and want to see who's there, and meet up with Heather and Dylan. We laugh ourselves to death, and then head back to B&B just in time for the 3rd Round.

~Round 3 VS Someone (Sorry I forgot your Name) with a Fire Deck~

All I saw were basics, and I got a full setup. I think he was a new player, and he got a bad start. He did keep my dusknoir on the bench for a while with roar, but I just KO all his basics. Pretty easy game.

2-1

~Round 4 VS Someone (Sorry I forgot your Name) with Wurmple/Vulpix/Lotad.Dec~

Is there much to say here? He did confuse my dusknoir with some attack and I almost killed myself because I couldn't flip heads for anything, but I eventually KO'd all of his basics. GG man keep practicing.

3-1

~Round 5 VS Justin with Dusknoir/Gengar/Saybleye~

A lot of people had told me that this guy didn't exactly like to follow the rules and that he was kind of rude, so I was watching him pretty closely. I get a Mareep Start, but at least I get a call and a BeBe for the T2 Claydol. He runs Special Darks and Saybleye just so that he can get the donk he says, and it forced me into a sticky situation. I remember he kept Warp Pointing me, but he did lay down a full bench when he knew I was playing dusknoir, so I was a bit confused about that. He gets out the Dusky X, and I'm still trying to set up. He puts 7 damage counters on my Dusclops with Damage Even, and I try to pull off the Warp Point/Dusknoir DP. And!!! Whiff. :nonono: I play BeBe and a Luxury Ball to get setup for next turn. I get a Bronzong and a Dusknoir DP. As soon as I start to shuffle my deck, I realize that I've made a huge misplay. I ask him if I can take one of the searches back. He hesitates, and then says that I can if I let him take something back later in the game. Remembering what my friends had told me about him, I hesitate and ask what kind of thing would qualify for being taken back. He says an energy attatchment or a search or something. I agree, and I get out the Unknown G and attatch it to my Dusknoir. From there, I went on to KO his Dusknoir with Damage counters, and then shuffle in his claydol and start to spread. After that it gets pretty close but in the end I win. Good game man.

4-1

~Round 6 VS Louis T with Dialga G/Honchkrow G/Other G Pokemon~

I doubt that I'll have a chance because Dialga G shuts off my pokebodies, which my deck only works because of all of the bodies. He plays down a 4th Bench pokemon, and then on T2 breaks the Deafen lock to KO my active Mareep. I get out my Dusknoir DP, Warp point, and Shuffle in his Dialga G Lv X with Energy Gain and 2 Special Metals! Yes! :biggrin: Then I wager him, and I win the wager. He pulls an Uxie and draws 5. Crap. I could have had the game right then and there. He pulls up some other stuff, and is spreading more damage on me than I am on him :lol:. Skunktank is really hurting me, and so is Galactic's HQ. I end up KOing his Skunktank and Bronzong with my bronzong though eventually. I attack with the Dusknoir DP a lot, and then I wager him again and he Draws dead, though he did have some stuff out to attack with that time. Time is called on his turn, and he ties the prizes 2-2 but my Dusky X is put into play. I need 1 energy to win. I bring up Dusknoir DP, and Cynthia trying to pull the 1 energy left in my deck. I get it. GG Louis.

5-1

So I'm the 3rd seed going into the Top 8. Andrew is 1st, Brian is Second, and I'm Playing LOUIS in Top 8. Gawd. I don't think I can beat him 2 more games. Jayson gives him some advice on how to beat me, and I get some ice cream to give me some more positivity. Lol.

~Top 8 VS Louis T with Dialga G/Galactic Mix~

Game 1:

He plays down 4 Bench Pokemon and doesn't keep the Deafen Lock going for more than about 2 turns. I shuffle something in, though it wasn't game changing like last time. I get a key wager and win it. He pulls out of it though. Later in the game I get another wager and win that one too. He has 2 Dialgas out-- one of them is leveled up and has 3 Special Metals. He drops 2 Crobat out of his 4 Card hand and uses remove lost for the KO on my Dusknoir SF. I bring up Dusknoir DP and I've planned for the KO here. He has taken 4 prizes and has 2 Damage Counters on the Level X. I drop a spiritomb, and it puts a lot of my Pokemon 10 away from being KO'd. Then I Hard Feelings for the KO. I could tell he wasn't expecting that. I only have one prize left and he has nothing so He scoops after the next turn when I use Harp Feelings on his Dialga.

1-0

Game 2:

He only plays 3 bench pokemon in this game, and when I wager him he wins it both times. I remember that he was playing this game really well, I just got set up and we were both trying to play fast because we only had about 20 Minutes left. I KO his Dialga X and then start to spread with bronzong while he Snipes off some pokemon on my bench with Honchkrow/Crobat G. I forget the details of this game but in the end I win. Good Games Louis. He seemed pretty bummed about not making it to top 4, so I tried to cheer him up but I don't think it worked. Top 8 is still really good buddy.

2-0

Note #1: He prized both of his Dialga G X's in Game 2 I think, and Prized one in the Game 1.

Note #2: Our Judge's Name was Peter, and he had Judged us in the last round of swiss as well. We were laughing all the way through both games. I had to tell Louis to stop being so funny because he was about to make me through up and our judge needed to stop laughing so that he could pay better attention. It was funny as Hay and it was mainly Louis cracking all of the jokes.

~Top 4 VS Brian H with a Galactic Deck Mix~

Great, just great. Another Galactic Deck. Will they ever stop??? :eek:

Game 1:

I know that Brian is a really good player, but I haven't ever played him before. He gets out 2 Honchkrow G's and a Weavile G Turn 2, and He just keeps grabbing what he needs with Cyrus. Power Sprays, Energy Gains, Golly, they just kept comin. I did hold him off for a while with Dusknoir DP, but he kept sniping off everything with Honchkrow G's. I felt really mad: I'm getting beat by an 80 HP basic with 1 Energy :mad: When I do bring a Dusknoir Active, he KO's it within 2 hits with Honchkrows. :frown: I start to spread with Bronzong a good while into the game, and I think I took 3-4 Prizes. If I had 1 more warp point to get Bronzong out of the Active position, I think that I would have had a chance at winning. but no, Sadly I burned them both early game.

0-1

We talk a Minute, and I compliment him on his playing, though I also tell him that I think the match is a bit in his favor and he agrees.

Game 2:

Again, he starts killing me with Honchkrows, but I make sure that I call for 2 baltoy this game because he just sniped them as soon as they came into play last game, I didnt get a Claydol forever! I got 2 Turn 2 Claydols, and then I got fully setup from there. He KO's my Dusky X, and it gets put into play as a stadium. I take control of the game the turn after that, and he uses Honchkrow's first attack to search out a Stadium and an Energy Gain. I Wager him the next turn and win the Wager. He draws dead and the Dusknoir X on top of everything Else would win me that game eventually so he scoops.

1-1

Game 3:

Mulligan. Then, here is my Starting Hand: Duskull, Uxie, Azelf, Mareep, Claydol, and 3 Psychic Energy (With my First card). He starts with 1 Pokemon. I pray that I can go first so that he can't power spray me. He decides to go first. What good luck for me. He starts with Weaville G and searches out 2 Honchkrows. I drop the Azelf and he allows it. Nothing usefull. I attatch to the duskull, bench the mareep, and then drop the Uxie. He power Sprays it. :nonono: NO!!! Crap. There goes my chances at the finals. I draw energies for the next 3 turns while he KO's my pokemon 1 by 1. I finally pull a cynthia and Draw 8. I still don't have anything to win as it wasn't amazing and he has taken 4 prizes and I have nothing setup. Ughh. I scoop. Good games Brian. You're really good for an 11-Year-Old. :thumb:

Brian goes on to win the whole thing over a dude from Minnisota, and Andrew lost to the dude from Minnisota so I get 4th instead of 3rd. *Sigh*

Props:
*Team Hatter!!!
*The Team of Kevin and Sam!!! Kevin got 2nd in MS in Masters Yesterday!!!:thumb:
*Brian for Winning
*Vince for the Pizza and an awesome tournamnet
*Jayson for Winning Masters
*Memphis for having 2 Players in the Top Cut in Seniors, AND 2 Players in the Masters Top Cut
*My ranking for going up
*Duskzong for me going 6-2 with it after only playing it 2 days!
*Nita for Making me an awesome playmat.
*Louis for being hilarious
*Heather and Dylan for giving me some good laughs
*Carlos and others for giving me advice
*Team Slugma
*Memphis
*ME GETTING 4TH WITH A DECK THAT I HAVE ONLY PLAYED TWICE!!!
*Me being positive about things

Slops:
-Zak not being able to think yesterday
-Taylor dropping the winning card on the floor
-Lettuce in my BackPack
-Me not getting 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
-Honchkrow G
-Starting with Azelf 3 times, Mareep, Uknown G, Uxie, and Spiritomb! I only started with Duskull or Bronzor like Twice!!!
-Bad Luck
-Me playing Louis in Top 8
-Me misplaying
-Me not Playing a Pachi or a Moonlight or something to win me those games I lost. XD
-Spring Break being over
-Me for not playing Lightning Energy
-Me for not remembering THE WHOLE POINT OF PLAYING UNKNOWN G!!!

Favorite Quotations of the Day

"SHANANAGINS!!! Clay, get the Broom!" -Andrew K

"Man, if Minisota wins, you know that there's something wrong with all of us." -AJ

"BATOR!!!" -Louis

"Crumblecakes?" -Me

"You sound like a constapated horse!" -Dylan to Heather

"So Dylan, you like little green things?" -Me

"Blastiose Assosiation of Missouri! BAM!" -Me

"GTS!!!" (Go Team Slugma) -Me, Taylor, and Louis

"I think I heard the N word..." Lol a lot of people

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks for reading! I would type some more, but I've been typing for an hour and have to go do some chores.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, a neat fact is that the 1st-4th seeds after swiss for seniors were all in the top 4. Lol.

Yup thats me, and nope i was 5th seed .

Oh ok cool. Good Job Man! Cya at regionals... Maybe we can sit down and play each other then.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Hey Sam congrats onn 4th in an insanly rough reigion good job. BTW this is mike from nats and worlds.

Thanks! I think I remember you... Which Mike were you? Lol sorry I just met like 4 Mikes from pokemon within this last season. Did I play you and you were playing Empozong at Nationals?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Btw do u remember the cities this year where i beat you in round 1, sudden death... eat it kingdra, go gengar!

Is this Timmy? Yeah I haven't forgotten that match... I wasn't prepared for that deck and then the 2 heads flips with Gengar on top of making me attatch 3 energy to a Kingdra to attack and the fact that I couldn't get rid of the Dusknoir LV X... It just all piled up and I couldn't come out of that match. Looking forward to a rematch at regionals.

Last edited:
Nice job, Sam! Keep up the good work for Regionals! YOU'RE GOING TO WORLDS THIS YEAR TOO!!

Oh, and by the way, I just love how I'm "one of your favorite people," but I'm never a slop for not showing up...

Just messin' with ya man. I know you're too scared of me. :wink: Come to think of it, I never checked the props to see if I was there for not showing up. :lol:

Lol well thanks for the congrats. I'll try to make it to worlds. Some tough competition this year! :thumb:

hey its Justin how was I rude?? and I played fair I knock them out with sablele before they could play a full game with me

Last edited:
Back