Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

6-2 Whiff and a Regional Championship.

FunnyBear

Philadelphia, April 2012.
249 Masters. As the defending regional champion in Masters, I had as a goal to have a respectable performance, so I brought Zekeels to the event rather than the flippy Mewlux I brought to a couple of states. I expected a number of mirrors, so the build was optimized for speed and setup. It had some of the speed from the Hall ECC build while not having that ZPST-ish feel to it. I played 2 Terrakions, 2 Durants, and 4 mirrors, and did not lose a single mirror. I can’t give a blow by blow, but some of the highlights.

Round 1 vs Terrakion
This would have been a bad matchup regardless, but I made it worse by starting a mewtwo war I could not win. A late game N let me catch up a bit, but it was too little, too late.
0-1

Round 2 vs Zekeels
Got there fastest with the mostest.
1-1

Round 3 vs Zekeels
See above. One of these was against John Schriener, but not sure which round.
2-1

Round 4 vs Durant
I had a slow start and was punished mercilessly for it. At least my opponent was a nice lady.
2-2

I realized at this point, I would have to win out to have a chance, and a slim one at that as my resistance would likely be poor.

Round 5 or 6 vs Ellen Glasset (Zekeels)
I had a better start and ultimately just got going faster. A prize lead let me be more flexible about board position, so I benched a Mewtwo and she eventually went after it for two prizes with her Mewtwo. The return KO was my final two prizes.

There was another Zekeels which I outsped. My opponent flipped double tails on Dual Ball and I flipped double heads. I think this might have happened twice, which put me turns ahead in setting up. I always seemed to have much more energy on the field.

One of the last 4 rounds was a Durant, which went as it should go. He played Mewtwo EX, and KOd a Zekrom after a Bolt Strike. I returned the KO and ended the game with enough energy on Mewtwo to take the last two prizes.

The last Terrakion was vs Joan Morsa, and I managed to keep enough pressure on to keep her one turn behind on energy attachments, so consequently, the weakness was irrelevant. I took the last 3 prizes by Bolt Strike and Plus Power to KO 2 Terrakions without a return KO. The last prize was Tornadus which had no energy against a Zekrom with 100 damage. I think the Eviolites hurt more than helped her in this matchup as she really needed Exp Shares on every Terrakion.

6-2

My resistance was poor, so I was not surprised to end up 35th missing cut by 3 places along with two other 6-2s that missed, Mike Diaz and Tony Desiata. I was fine with not playing in top 32 as I was more interested in what was going on in Juniors at this point.

Props: My son won Regionals!
Slops: 6-2 whiff, seriously?

1st Place Northeast Regionals report – Juniors
I typed this as it was related to me. There is not a lot of detail as Jack could not recall most of his games. It was a long day for a 4th grader. I have to say, I love the Northeast Junior Pokemon crowd. Theres more or less the same 6-8 Juniors in top cut in every event and they are all really great kids. They are all friends too, which is amazing.

There were 63 Juniors for 6 rounds of Swiss and a top 8. I played Zekeels.
Round 1 vs ?? (Zekeels)
We got set up, at some point I was attacking with Zekrom, he catchered up my Zekrom ex with 4 energies and he had a Mewtwo ex with 5 energies and 1 shotted it. I then KO’d his M2 ex with my M2 ex +DCE. He top decked another M2 ex and KO’d me. I lost the Mewtwo war.
0-1

Round 2 vs ?? (Luxray and Fire Pokemon)
I got set up with Eeels and Zekrom and rolled right through him.
1-1

Round 3 -4
Can’t remember anything about these rounds, except I must have played them and I must have won.
2-1 and 3-1

Round 5 vs ?? (CMT)
I got out Thundrus T1 and did a charge. T2 I hit for 80 and took a prize. He never got set up and Thundrus took a few prizes. I got Eels and Zekroms out and took 6 prizes easily.
4-1

Round 6 vs Bobby H. (CMT)
Started with Thundrus, he started catchering stuff and took some Tynamo prizes. He had trouble setting up as he didn’t draw into a Collector until very late in the game. Thundrus KOd a bunch of Tornadus’s and some Celebis and Zekrom cleaned up once I got the Eeels out. There was an annoying Tyrogue in this deck that seemed to know when to sleep and when to wake up, except for one time.
5-1

I got into top cut as the 7th seed.

Top 8 vs Spencer N. (Durant)
Game 1
I started with Thundrus, him with two Durants, attached Special metal and Eviolite and Devoured for 2. I attached and Charged. He had a Durant prized and got Rotom, then Devoured for 2 again. I got a Tynamo and Zekrom benched, but was having some energy problems and I had to charge again. Next turn he had 3 Durants out and Devoured for 3. I got an Eeel out, Dynamotored the energy to Zekrom, catchered up a bare Durant and KOd it with Disaster Volt. Next turn I had Zekrom up and Bolt Striked. I took the rest of the prizes before he could deck me.

Game 2
I had some energy problems and had to use Thundrus for 80 a lot, taking a few prizes. I managed to get Zekrom up eventually and Bolt Striked. Zekrom took the rest before I decked.
6-1

Top 4 was Sydney M. vs Nolan W. and me vs. Zach B. Apart from my Zekeels, the rest of top 4 was CMT.

Top 4 vs Zach B. (CMT)
This went to 3 games and was very close. Zach has a very efficient build and beat me twice with it in NJ and NY States in very close games. This time I won 2 games where it counted.

7-1

Top 2 vs Nolan W. (CMT)
This went to 3 games. I got outsped in game 1, beat him in game 2, and the last one was very close, but I managed to win it.

8-1

I got a nice trophy, 2 boxes of Next Destiny’s, a hat, binder, and a playmat. As I already have a travel award from the RI Regional VGC, the travel award went to Nolan and I got the 2nd place stipend. Nolan had left by the time we learned this and maybe he will see this before Pokemon calls him. Nolan you got a trip to Nats!

Props:
Seeing all my friends again.
Winning Regionals.
The judges were nice. I like the way Ms. Dorian runs events. They always run well and on time.

Cons:
Not enough time to eat lunch. My mom brought some food, though.

Last edited:
Back