Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

9 cards a pack just doesn't cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuraiwolf5960

I have been playing some Marvel VS lately. I am getting used to getting 14 cards in a pack.
Yes, FOURTEEN. Pokemon better get with it and get us back to at least 11. Nine cards a pack is not acceptable to me. I don't care about the e-design, I don't care about the foil you use in the background, lets get the card count up abit.

While Marvel VS is a terrible card game (yes, I have played it), Pokemon does seriously need to go back to 11-per-pack.

Now that the E-card scanning is gone, there's no justification for 9-card packs. Let's keep our pack sizes and card rarities far from Yu-Gi-Oh, or else the game will become Yu-Gi-Oh.

M:TG has 14/15 cards in a pack, and lookey, it's the most famous card game of all time. I wonder why? Seriously, WotC took away 2 cards back in the past because "scan" cards cost more to make. But now that we dont have scan cards, we don't see an increase in booster size?

Also, I am absolutely positive that if WOTC had still kept the 11 cards way back in Expedition and for the rest of the sets, Nintendo would had done exactly the same thing. It's not like adding two more cards will financially ruin them.

Hmmm, maybe the new energy holos are what made up for the two extra cards. Hmmm...

I think 11 card packs are a really good idea. The more cards in a pack, the better of course. Then maybe then people can get there hands on those highly playable uncommon trainer cards. This is assuming of course that the number of uncommons go back up to three instead of two. Those energys from the EX sets look really nice too, I wouldn't mind if one of the cards out of eleven is a regular energy. Also, they used to add a Holo in to packs so you would get a Holo AND a rare. Now the Holo replaces the rare....is Nintendo getting cheaper on us?

Lord of the Rings (like the old SWCCG) came out with a Reflections set (of old cards with some new holo-rares added in). They come in 18 card packs, with about 24 packs per box.

MSRP for the pack is $4.99

We need 11 card packs. We paid $3.29 plus tax per pack when we had 11, now with 9 we pay... THE SAME AMOUNT. It's a blatent rippoff. I just opened two boxes of Hidden Legends. I wound up with fire, yes just FIVE Steven's Advice!!!!! I got more Ninetails and Gorbyss out of those boxes, and those are RARES for pete's sake! And two of the Steven's Advice were reverse holos. Since RH are compleatly random, that comes to about 1.5 Steven's Advice per box. THAT...IS...BS! Their getting way cheaper on us, and when they print a good draw card, they make it rarer that the EXs! I got 6 ex's and 5 steven's advice. How, HOW is it right to get more ex's than an uncommen trainer? we need the base set ratios back. Base set potions were not mesured in numbers owned, they were mesured in inches. I and every other player pays to darn much money to be ripped off like this. We are the CUSTOMERS for pete's sake! We deserve better. And yes, for all they do right, I will be nit picky. Alot of the problems would be solved if they just LISTENED to their dang customers! It's SOOOO simple! Listen to what we want, do it, and you get more cutomers! More customers means more money. More money is a good thing Nintendo. Duh

Yeah an 11 card pack would be worth the price. $3 something is around worth of an 11 card pack, I think Nintendo should up it back up. Having a Holo or Reverse and a Rare in each pack would make the packs worth it. Hopefully Nintendo will soon up the cards in a pack, 2 Uncommons per pack is making them more rare then the rares themselves. :)

Yah, with 3 Uncommons per pack, maybe we'd get back to the days when Rares actually WERE more rare than Uncommons.

Plus, I'd like to see maybe a 13-card deck with 2 energy cards per deck. That way, I wouldn't think twice about giving away my extra energies for booster drafts.

Well the card count was brought down to 9 because of the dotcodes.

"But you get a foil in every pack"

Now with no dotcodes...I think it's time for packs to go back to 11

The price has on the other hand stayed constant for more than 5 years. That means something even in these low-inflation times. One could even argue that we get more for our money since we get the "reverse" holo in every pack (this assumes that these are more expensive to produce, I make no judgement in whether they are better for the buyer).

Look back to 1999 and the Jungle packs where you got 12 holos and 24 rares per box. You now get 16 holos/EXs (typically 4 RH of regular holos) and 30 rares (with 6RH).

They did at least make the rares rarer than the uncommons (not by much!) in the last two sets when they changed the holo/EX to replace a rare rather than a common. The difference is not big enough though and the simplest way of changing it would be to make a couple of additional rares (and fewer uncommons) in the set.

HL has 15 holo, 12 rares, 33 uncommons, 32 commons and 9 EX. The present packs would work much better with a distribution like 15/15/24/38/9 where the relative chances of getting a givn cards in a pack would be 1/108 (EX), 1/45 (Holo), 1/22 (Rare), 1/12 (uncommon), 1/7 (common). This calculation ignores the RH. They change a lot of rarities compared to the Japanese set, so it would be simple to adjust.

Pokemon USA has on the other hand improved the theme decks dramatically and that is not a bad place to get both energies and the uncommon trainers (noticed that there are almost no common trainers anymore). I am pretty sure that both the HL theme decks come with two Steven's advice!

mozartrules said:
Pokemon USA has on the other hand improved the theme decks dramatically and that is not a bad place to get both energies and the uncommon trainers (noticed that there are almost no common trainers anymore). I am pretty sure that both the HL theme decks come with two Steven's advice!

And they do. I think there's three of them in Forest Guardian. And, overall, the Theme Decks have become a lot better. In the beginning there was always one non-holo Rare in each deck, now there's always one RH and 2-4 Rares.

As for the boosters; GIVE US 11 CARD BOOSTERS!
......................................Did you hear me NoA?

Last edited:
I believe the 11 cards per pack is acceptible and nintendo is trying to rip off the customer with the 9 cards. They fell if they give a reverse holo and either 2-3 rares a pack they can satisfy the customer. We pay betwen 3.29 and 4.29 a pack soemtimes for cards and 9 cards are not nerely enough. Thats why hidden legends needs 6 packs a prerelease just so they have enough to get a solid # for a 40 card deck. Wizards needed 3-4 for a draft. I hope they soon go back to 11 or customers will soon riot.

i'll do some snooping around. see if i can get it changed or at least an honest explanation. i'll use my people-powers, but i can't guarantee anything.

You're complaining about the prices, but here in France, a nine-card booster pack is about more than ... $5, yes, $5!!

You'll say that I should buy US packs, but would you like to buy German packs for instance? Everyone has problems with the amount of cards in a pack, the price, or things like that. If you disagree, stop buying, and then they'll understand that there's a problem...

But hey! would you like to stop Pokémon for a while? I don't think so... So just let's spend money, yeaaaaah ^o^

Just because there are already 18 (now 19) posts in a thread like this in the "official" boards of POP where only about 50% of the PTCG gaming community gathers in less than 18 hours is reason enough for PUI to really think about changing the pack size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back