Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A better solution to dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepliskin5005

I sean many people roll a dice will playing pokemon and constantly geting tails or heads. I found out that some dice are heavier one side than the other side. I heard from a person that las vegas have very expensive dice to make sure it dosent always land on one side. So i came up with an idea to make sure its always 50/50 so i have eighty sleeved cards fourty are face down fourty are faced up. I simply make thouse eighty card's a deck and reveal the top card to this deck when flipping a coin. If the card is a face down card its tails if the its face up card its head's.

I know this idea isnt qualified for tournments but it should be. But what you can also do with this is just one person hase a stack of these cards this idea and reveals for them self or your oppoent or your oppoent can reveal the cards for his or her self. Also to stops people from cheatting you can allow only one deck. I tryed this idea today and it work's extremley well i was very satsified but you hafe to make sure the cards are shuffled well. what do you think

But if you put, say 30 heads and 50 tails in your sleves, you have a greater chance of calling your flips and what not. or vice versa.

That's so clunky and would be a huge pain for organizers.

Dice are perfectly fine, and sufficiently random. Even if they are a little heavier on way or another, most dice (unless purposefully weighted) should, given sufficient sample data, be very close to 50/50 either way.

No there not fine raen have you ever fliped a deck and never could get heads. I tryed it today it worked well. And it dosent hafe to be eighty cards.

First 4 flips cards reveal four face down cards (tails)...
Well, the odds are higher that my next flip card is heads (40 heads versus 36 tails left in the deck)! Crushing Hammer agogo!

Well, the odds are higher that my next flip card is heads (40 heads versus 36 tails left in the deck)! Crushing Hammer agogo!

This is the issue with it. Instead of 50-50 odds every time, the odds start to shift.

Posted with Mobile style...

No there not fine raen have you ever fliped a deck and never could get heads. I tryed it today it worked well. And it dosent hafe to be eighty cards.
Yes, I have, and I know enough about odds and statistics to know that, let's say 20 tails in a row, is statistically possible while still having the odds be 50/50. Until you roll the same die hundreds of thousands of times you won't get an accurate representation of the actual odds, which WILL be close to 50/50 unless something is horribly, horribly wrong with the die. That's how statistics and probability work.

EDIT: Also, if your method removes the possibility of getting 20 tails in a row, you are cheating as well. While unlikely, that kind of luck CAN happen, and if any method makes it impossible, then you are influencing odds and luck.

This is true. After revealing so many cards, you can count them and know the odds of either drawing a face up or a face down card. The cards you are going to draw are dependent on the cards you already drew. Say I know there are 13 face up cards left and only 5 face down. Well, I have a significantly higher rate or drawing a face up card.

This is contradictory with the definition of "random" which requires each event to be completely independent of all other events. For example, the cards I draw should have no impact on the cards I am going to draw. A better solution would be to have a deck full of 40 face up cards and 40 face down cards BUT... as you reveal them, you shuffle the BACK into the deck. That way, there is constantly a fair number of cards in the deck. Of course, you would have to do this for each and every individual coin flip. For example, if something says "flip 2 coins," you would have to reveal a card, shuffle it back in, and then reveal another card.

I would rather just stick with dice, or legal coins produced by The Pokemon Company if you're skeptical. Las Vegas uses a different way of rolling dice, and completely different dice. If you've seen them, all of their dice have sharp corners, and they're thrown across a table maybe a few feet. In Pokemon, we only have a small play area to work with, not several feet of distance to throw dice. Rounded edges allow for the best random results when rolling in a small area. I believe this has been researched by P!P enough to make a fair ruling as this is even covered in the rules, and dice are completely legal (given they meet the requirements of being clear and rounded).

---------- Post added 02/19/2012 at 03:51 PM ----------

I don't have permission to view this page ; ;

A lot of people getting tails in a row means some thing what it means is that they need better dice or do this idea.

---------- Post added 02/19/2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

Shen i just said you put that one card back in your deck please think a bit.

A lot of people getting tails in a row means some thing what it means is that they need better dice or do this idea.

---------- Post added 02/19/2012 at 02:53 PM ----------

Shen i just said you put that one card back in your deck please think a bit.
You obviously no nothing AT ALL about statistics. AT ALL.

So every one here would rather flip a coin and get tails rather than do this idea.. There was times i couldnt get a heads.

Because you were randomly doing something. The point of random is that the same result can happen X times in a row. What you are describing would be even distribution of results, not random.

Posted with Mobile style...

Dice are the best non-electronic randomizer. They are portable, easy to scale up, and what else would you keep in your dice bag?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back