Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A different sort of Mew Prime insanity

Sevus

Sorry in advance if this topic has come up before, a scan of the first couple pages of this forum didn't turn up anything.

Anyways, I'd been thinking about ways to use Mew Prime, since there has to be a way to make it work other than Gengar Prime/Lost World strategies. It's too versatile a mechanic to be limited that way. And then it clicked.

Garchomp Lv.X (MD). People have been trying to get Restore to work since it came out, but the card is simply too difficult to get out most of the time as a Stage 2 Lv.X. But with Mew Prime, you can just drop it in the Lost Zone with Read and Place, then Restore.

The question then is twofold. How do you get the Pokémon and Energy into the discard pile (right now Junk Arm, Engineer's Adjustments, and Ninetails HGSS are all that come to mind), and what is worth Restoring? I'm thinking the deck will want to be predominantly Fire-based so that it can utilize Ninetails' Poké Power as well as having a natural counter to Dialga G LV.X, which would otherwise kill the deck. Any thoughts?

Mew's too fragile, IMO. You'd have to run Snowpoint Temple to even stand a chance, and even then it'd one-shotted by Garchomp C X. It has to survive at least 2 turns in order to do what you're thinking of, and for best effect it needs to survive a lot longer or you'd need it first turn, which means running 4. 4 60HP basics that don't evolve and aren't going to do any damage. (Spiritombs! LOL)

Blissey + Typhlosion Prime might be a nice Restore pair. Discard stuff with Blissey to set up Typhlosion, Use Typhlosion's Afterburner to get more energy, use Blissey to heal off the damage.

This is definitely a decent idea. Sage also discards, and it discards three cards at one time. What are the other ways of getting cards in your discard pile?

I do know how fragile Mew Prime is, 60 HP isn't much at all.

So preferably, Mew only needs to get a Restore off once. T1 Read and Place, T2 Restore, T3 retreat to the Restore'd threat and K.O. things with that. I'm sure there's a card that's near-unplayable right now because of a too-specific energy requirement that makes it too slow. I'm just not sure what it is.

Blissey + Typhlosion Prime is kind of cool and has synergy, but lacks a power move, and I don't want to have to Restore 2 set-up 'mons and an attacker.

EDIT: @Ignatious, AyameHikaru brought up Blissey, and I had Ninetails, Engineer's Adjustments, and Junk Arm, but I can't think of any other Power or Trainer/Supporter based discard off the top of my head.

Last edited:
The Regis support the discarding. Sage's Training is obvious.

That's about all I got but it should be enough. This is actually pretty good. The idea's sound.

And even if you're using like 4x Mew Prime, once you get one off to Lost Zone your Garchomp Lv. X, the rest more or less fall into place. Even if you have to sac a Mew later on, a single Restore will literally bring a KOed attacker back to full power... and doesn't Snowpoint Temple work on unevolved Stage 2 pokemon?

The only real problem I see is Machamp. lol

But you could be real creative for the Machamp matchup. For example have another pokemon in the deck that can do enough damage to KO or otherwise cripple Champ that you can RFG turn 1 instead of Chomp? Mew's already Psychic-type so...

i still think Gyarados SF is one of the better combos with mew prime cause of the low energy cost, and garchomp lv x works well with them as well.

also volkner's is another card that lets you discard 1 card

another option would be having mew use Rhyperior lv X's hard crush to discard 5 cards and hope you get some poke/energy from that to restore

So Regice, Volkner's Philosophy, and Sages Training for the discarding, Houndoom UD and Rainbow Energy for the Machamp matchup? Progress!

So what would be a good main attacker?

I stand by the Gyarados idea - quicker to work with since you don't need to discard and restore energy (just karps), and you can do 120 for nothing.

Giratina Lv. X would be interesting, too, but difficult to make work.

If you wanna discard and cycle fast, Uxie and Banette could work. You could also use the Relicanth in lost link to put Garchomp in your lost zone so that Mew doesn't get KO'd before it can use Restore.

Houndoom UD? The one with 90HP and a 2X weakness to Machamp?

Yeah, as well as notably the 1-cost attack that does 80, so if you have one RFGed, Mew Prime can OHKO Machamp with it.

*edit: Yeah, if you have Lucario GL out but really, this deck's going to be overloaded on basic search so it'll be in play. >_>

hmm, you could maybe throw in heaps of cards to make this deck work well.
for instance, off the top of my head you could use like the 4 karps and maybe 2 gyara.
could discard them with regice, volkner's etc. could also use sabley as a starter.
could also discard vileplume and just restore it and a gyara to be an *** or something.
i dunno, i suppose there are a lot of choices in this. :/ could even restore Dusknoir or something, by doing that, it can at least give you draw power and could use the Lv.X

I plan to use Octillery PL and Mew prime... well test it anyway. Have about 30 energys and some techs in such deck. So, yes, everyone is looking at Mew prime a bit different.

I think it would work a bit better with Garchomp Lv. X, and many other stage 2s...

Bulky ones at that.

Just discard dicard discard, and while your discarding restore them onto your bench. It will be even better when Twins comes in, because you can just sacrifice the mew for 2 cards out of your deck. I feel it could be quite good.

Glad to see this is provoking some thought.

I really think Restore with Mew is going to be far more effective than making a 60 HP basic your main attacker.

So far Kayle's idea seems most solid, drop 4 Karp and a Gyrados into the Discard, restore the Gyrados and swing for 120 (140 with belt) for free. That means only Psychic energy ever needs to be run (plus Rainbow for the Houndoom tech), and each Mew only needs to Restore once. And, if absolutely necessary, the deck can run without the Restore abuse. So I guess the next step is going to be put together a list and playtest...

Or I could just wait for the Prerelease to make sure we're getting Mew Prime.

so from the discussion i came up with this rough list, could likely go much lower on the energy front
to throw in a few more techs

poke (16-20)
4 mew prime
4 magikarp
2-3 gyarados
1-2 garchomp lv X
2-3 regice (or registeel in a pinch)
1-2 houndoom UD
2 uxie

t/s/s (28)
3 poke collectors
3 poke communication
2 bebes
3 volkners
3 snowpoint temple
3 sage's training
3 ssu
3 warp point
2 poke rescue
2 expert belt
1 luxury ball

energy (8-12)
3 rainbow
5-9 psychic

total 52-60

best strat i can think of is mew starter to read and place either a gyrados or garchomp first turn and poke collector 2 karp and a regi, then use the regi to discard the karp. repeat to discard more karp and maybe a gyrados to restore

Last edited:
Ideally, you'll never be Tail Revenging with Mew. Yes it means you have to discard five cards instead of four, but a 110-150 HP "basic" makes a much better main attacker than a 60-100 HP one. I'd recommend going with only 1 each of Garchomp Lv.X and Houndoom, Azelf can help with the prize issue, and is easily picked up with Collector. Also would recommend Junk Arms, and possibly VS Seekers. Looks like a good start though.

Back