Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Fitting End to my 2006-2007 season.

PokéMart

I decide to shell out the $200 and fly to nats, since I won a badge at states. Hey, I'm a good player, I say, and I've just had really, really bad luck this season. It can't last forever, can it?

I decide to play Kingdra swarm because, after testing, I decide it beats almost everything in the format, esp. Ambush. Its worst game is Banette, just because of the speed difference. After Zach goes 14-0 this strikes me as problematic, but ****--I figure I'll take my losses to Banny the Format Slayer.

Didn't play a sinlge BtFs all day.

I did, however, play a PokeDad in round one, who was using Mew ex/Shiftry/Ray Star----UNSLEEVED----.

As soon as I see no sleeves, I know I've got the game.
Hahahahahahahahaha. No. This is Jim Malec we're talking about.

I have three bad starters in my deck. They are Vaporeon Star, Spearow, and Rayquaza ex d. Guess which I start with round one?

Ummm...................................................ALL OF THEM.

At least I have a choice.

So I drop the spearow and the ray.
Opening hand, I draw 2x Kingdra. It is not the worst hand I've ever seen, but no Mentor (no, I don't play 4/4------ /sarcasm).
Oh well, I can deal--I'm going to spearhead into it.
Except I never get that chance because Mr. Unsleeved Pants does the following:

Seedot--Candy-Shiftry T1 SKILL HACK FOR 80.

I can't believe I end up losing this game. I can't believe he got T1 Skill Hack for 80!!!!

So this is not starting well. The rest of the day I start with mentor/transciever/castaway (any of the above) ONCE, while at the same time starting with:

Vaporeon THREE TIMES
Spearow TWO TIMES
Rayquaza ONE TIME

I swear to the high heavens, I started with a pinsir one game.

Don't I play four of those? Oh, whatever, it doesn't matter, I'm Jim Malec, I could play 10 of something and never start with it.

My day was so bad that in my final round I lost to BRELOOM SWARM.
Yes. Breloom. Hustle Punch. Four of them.

I
LOST
TO
Breloom
SWARM

What?

SUNDAY
I play in the 160 person side event. I decide to use Ambush and, having never tested the deck before, I go 5-2, even beating Ross in the mirror. He's a cool guy, and I have to say that doing well, and beating a player with such a high rating really salvaged my weekend, because on Saturday I was just so discouraged I could hardly stand it.

You do bad long enough and you start to think you are bad. But on Sunday I realized (remembered) that I can play this game with anybody.

So, I'm not sure if I'm going to the grinder. Maybe it's best to just regorup and start over next year. This season has been so busy with school I haven't had much time to test, and I know that hurt me.

And when you add that to my terrible luck, it's not going to end well.

Props:
-GARRET -- 2nd at nats Baby! Everybody wants to jump on the G-dog bandwagon, but I knew the first time I saw you play that you were going to be great.
-BOBBY -- Does it! Good job bro. Don't lose faith and don't forget who has your back.
-AARON -- TPC! You did awesome. I'm sorry it ended when it did, but I'm really happy for you and proud of you. You're grinding.
-MOM -- 5-2 in a 160 person side event is pretty damn good. Keep practicing, you're getting better!
-JOHN -- I'm glad we're cool. It's been a long season, and I'm so happy you had such a big weekend.
-TPC -- You guys make me proud. Those who didn't make it this year, don't lose faith.
-Max&Erma's Clombus Porter--the best Porter I've ever had.

Slops:
-Paying more for my flight than my mom and bro paid for BOTH of theirs.
-smoking/underage drinking. seriously, do you guys actually think that's cool or makes you seem more mature? or do you just like being drug addicts? because if you have to drink to have fun, that's what you are. don't get me wrong--I like beer. I like it a lot. but I control it, not the other way around, and I know the time and place. pokemon tournaments are not the time and place to get sloshed. you know that, though--you just choose to ignore it because it's easier to drink than it is to stand for something. I hope someday you grow up a little.
-BAD STARTS.
-VAPOREON STAR. You're on my list buddy.
-RPGers staring at me/inviting me to play games.
-Snoring.
-Losing my toothbrush.
-SKILL HACK.
-Jessica Alba. Why wasn't she there?!?!

Last edited:
You've had worst luck i have ever seen this year Jim. NO bs!

Thanks for the props- and next year i hope " good fortune" returns the favor ;)

You deserve it - your way too good to lose to breloom swarm?!?!

WHO PLAYS THIS DECK?!?! lolol

Take care ;)

john

Drinking and overdrinking are two different things. It's a pity some people drank too much and then wandered off in public.

However, what is wrong with smoking? It's legal... it doesn't damage anyone or anything. Causes no disruptions? I'm not my body, or how I choose to destroy it. Let people kill themselves how they want: whether it be cigarettes, bad food, or time.

Jim: How did you not get a chance to spearhead w/ spearow? If you go 1st, you get 1 chance. If he goes 1st, no trainers.....ergo no candy. (unless you forgot and he played the RC 1st turn going 1st.) Better luck next year Jim.

Keith

John--I know! But when you're 4 and 4 that's what you see. I just hate losing in the early rounds at any event because you end up seeing randoms. Anyway, thanks for the words, yo. I hate talking about luck because it seems like I'm making excuses, and I know that, but hey, I thought it would make a funny report :)

Ryan--As far as drinking, underage or not, I think when you're using Alcohal as a drug, it not a good thing. When you're drinking to 'losen yourself up' or to become more relaxed, that's a problem. I like beer but I do not need to consume in order to have a good time.

In fact, truth be told, I am at the point where I can't even stand the taste of "party beer". I'd rather just drink soda.

I have yet, however, to see a premeir event at which the "elite" players were not spending their nights getting hammered. That's immature and it's a bad example for our younger players.

As far as smoking, I wasn't talking about cigarettes. I was talking about weed.

Although I have issues with cigarettes as well, but that's not the point of this post.

Keith--I do think I got one Spearhead in. It was a pinsir, if I recall. Sadly, however, I couldnt dump the Kingdras (I had a Scientist, I used it for 2 and got rid of one KingHorse) and it was GG I'm a n00b.

Sorry about your luck Jim. You should go and grind because after the grinder who knows maybe Jessica Alba will be on the Hawai beach. Hope to see you there!

-Garrett

lol i sat nxt to u round 1, when i saw that guy with no sleeves on his deck and all those exs i was like OMG : /

so were people acctually stoned on the floor or just afterwards in their rooms. Because i don't really see the problem with the latter( and if there weren't kids around the former as well)

anyways to bad for your draws i konw how it feals esspecially when your close to winning a game which you came back from onm an awful start. Better luck next year

Yeah, can we keep the reality altering accessories discussion off the Gym please?
Not a fit topic unless we're doing a "very special episode".
Thanks.

Yeah, can we keep the reality altering accessories discussion off the Gym please?

You're the boss, but it seems silly to me to pretend that this kind of a thing isn't going on at events. That only makes it easier for people to do it, and supports their right to do so.
But, again, you're the boss.
More replies later.

Jim: Hey man, ya did the best ya could on Saturday. Sorry things couldn't have been in your favor (that's luck for ya.) Nice job on Sunday! Next season will be better, guaranteed.

so you finished 400th? Ouch.
I feel sorry for you man.
Hope everything go better next year.

Jim, I'm surprised that you decided to play one of your pre-release decks at Nationals.

LOL, JK.

GL if you make it to the Grinder.

Pokemart -

Right on about the booze and drugs.

There is a time and a place for everything (except the illegal stuff).

BTW, great report. Written by someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously.

GJ and GL

Hey Jim:

Sorry you had such a rough day. You'll come back next year :)

Good to see you and yours- very nice people, all.

~Tom

Ugh.

Thanks for the support through this ENTIRE season. I would not have my invite without you, and I probably don't act like it very much but I really appreciate everything you do for me in this game. Sucks that nats didn't work out so well for either of us (4-4, loss of 40 points and miss cut, UGH). Next year we're playing NO BAD STARTERS, EVER.

I lost on Flips Twice and got stalled, You lost to breloom swarm and cant get a starter

Lets Make the "What's Luck?" Club

Back