Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"?!" A Houston Gym Challenge report (6/4)

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
All right, so after such a huge "?!" at Oklahoma, to quote the punctuation of Bigchuck01, I decide to redeem the horrible performance in Oklahoma with a better one in Houston. Powtar is the play, and what a fantastic one in this metagame: not only does it have a good matchup against Flariados, LBS, Metanite, and Dragtrode, but is just an overall superior deck in general...it has disuption, ohko's, and mass destruction all at once. Good times, good times...

At first my shots of going were seriously in question. My dad didn't want Matt Shepherd to come along, so that was a bummer. Then he said he didn't feel like going at all! Ouch. However, I find out that the Schells have an extra space. W007! So I go with the Schells, and I must say that they seriously kick so much ***: not only did Chris have kickass Sentai (no, not Hentai, Soles), but Kathy Schell is the most brilliant Pokemon person I have ever met. She had SO many amazing zingers that day, and although Mrs. Schell is not as good of a player as Chris or Brent, I now know why she beat the STS Champ. :D:D:D

When I get there, I meet up with the same crews, only instead of Oklahoma, I see Houston...a lot of Houston. There were 160 people at the tournament, with over 60 in the 15+! Jeez. This time around, I'm much more confident, and go with my gut instinct-Powtar!

R1: VS dude with a deck

God, don't even remember what this was. I just knew that I beat him, and he was really nice.

R2: VS Vincent with Vileplume d/Golduck d

I played against this fellah round two of regionals, and he was very hardcore. However, I think he went from a very superior deck choice to a weaker one. I just spin tail him continuously over and over again. Near the end of the game I attempt to bite off with only one dark attached...oh well. I just grind for the win. GG man.

R3: VS ??? with Spinning Tail

This guy has been playing Tyranitar for a while, and his skills reflected it. At first it seemed like he had me with a fast Sand Damage, but I tore through it with a protective orbed Spinning tail. We kept on slugging out until I won 6 to 3. Good game-close, nice opponent, and very close! (3-0)

Lunch time! Because Mr. Meches is 1337, he let me join him for lunch at Jack-In-the-Box. Although I'm unable to finish it all, it's SOOOO awesome I had a ride. Thnx dawg!

We get ready to play, and who am I up against other than Weldon.

R4: VS Michael Weldon/Rokman (Flariados)

Nice to play Weldon after so long! I setup quickly with Make-a-Wish Jirachi, but he soon BF locks me out of a Pidgeot. It's close throughout, and he doesn't do too hot on his er2's (1/3), but he nails every Super Scoop Up (3/3), and I get awful flips on confusion and burn, usually at critical moments. It ends and he wins 6-4. Very nice one, Rokman! (3-1)

R5: VS Frank/Pokemasterflabface (Machamp)

I was a little nervous going into this game, but because I knew Machamp so well, the strat seemed obvious: build up a non-candied spinning tail, a shitload of energy, and a protective orb, and then proceed to pow/admin him to death, even though Machamp HL gets past Orb. However, it did NOT play out like that at all. We both get fast starts, but because his Pidgeot's candied, and because he candy-dre drops a machamp, I'm able to entirely devastate him with atm (rock). He isn't able to make a comeback from there. Good game! (4-1)

R6: VS Clay/Blazi-King (Clayability)

Very close game. I get a fast start and an early lead, despite his Muk, but he comes back from behind, capitalizes on his Cursed Stone sticking against my no gym Powtar, and wins by a prize. I'm unable to topdeck the rare candy, but oh well. Great game, man! (4-2)

So thanks to me playing against three 4-2's, a 5-1, and a 6-0, I'm able to squeeze into a very tough-to-make cut for 4-2's (remember, over sixty people) at eighth seed! Who am I to face off against other than Rokman!

Top Eight: VS Rokman (Flariados)

Game One I start off slowly, and he gets a nice one. He plays well, and even though he wastes an ER2 somewhere along the line, he avoids letting me get the come-from-behind win, despite yet more awful flips against his 3/3 Er2's (I think he didn't use any ssu's). Boo (4-3)

Game Two I get an AWFUL start. I donksack two energy in a row to potentially make the comeback with an electrode ex (ew, I hate attacking with that thing), but I whiff on anything that'll save me, and that's that. What awful fortune in these games, but that's all right, I lose like a man and smile for the picture that's now on Pokegym. Niiiiiice.

After that, I watch while Rokman's flips start getting bad in T4, and eventually Brent ends up winning. So I randomly build Ludicolo, play Homeofmew/Tina in a few fun games, and do surprisingly well with it against Flariados. Robert Eguia also walks by, and is surprised why I was running no Lanturn, Rhydon, or legendary bird/s. How ironic-all of this!

I'm a defeated man. So once again, "?!" Birch takes us all out to Waffle House, and we talk about all sorts of stuff, including me/Soles figuring out what to change for Dallas. DAMN good chicken/mushroom/cheese wrap!

Props:

-Players
-Staff for running a fantastic event, especially with so many people!
-Rokman for beating me in a tourney! GJ =)
-Clay for beating me in a tourney for the first time in a year and a half, and for doing so well.
-David Garcia for getting second with the BDIF.
-Dana and Rick, old folks, T8'ing!
-Good resistance.
-Kathy Schell for being a genius.
-Winners.
-Sentai.

Slops:

-Not getting to play against Rick, Brent, or Robert for an epic finals game.
-Bad flips.
-Soles getting donked, including at least one ftko.
-Rokman not winning.
-Nub Schell, for being a nub.

One last shot! Soles and I were gonna get redemption this weekend in Dallas fo sho.

Last edited:
yes,see u at nats and worlds. i feel rejuvinated and im sure u do to with the big ludi win. i heard it was str8 ludi but still i'm proud. great job again johnny,u truly r one of the best.
-brent

Back