Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A List of Things Pokemon Did Wrong (Article Work in Progress)

marq_darkrai

okay, i'm sure most people in the Pokemon TCG world have been fed up with Pokemon USA, or even the Pokemon Company in Japan. they have mad so many mistakes over the year. Some people hate the cards, the moves, how broken certain cards are, and the list goes on, and on, and ON.

Over the years, Pokemon has expanded exceedingly, from humble beginnings to the over 400 pokemon in existence today. at first, Pokemon began with a simple sketch from Ken Sugimori, which soon expanded to 150 pokemon, which Populated Kanto in Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. Then later on, they decided to make a card game for Pokemon, a phenomenon that invites millions worldwide to play competitively as well as casually, for fun and for prizes.

Then, Pokemon threw us another game, "Pokemon Silver and Gold", and we ate it up. with the successes of the Trading Card Game up to that point, Pokemon decided to expand it, employing the new Pokemon from the Johto Region as well as new ideas and innovations into the Card Game. Later on, Pokemon Crystal was made, which had subtle changes to Gold and Silver.

Further success was in store for Pokemon with the release of Ruby, Sapphire and later on Emerald. This was the dawn of the EX series. This era brought in the Pokemon from the Hoenn Region, with fan favorites such as Blaziken, Groudon, Kyogre and Salamence turned into Cards. This brought in a new innovation, EX Pokemon. Changes were made to the format of the cards and it expanded even MORE!

Then came the Diamond and Pearl era came to the Pokemon Trading Card Game Community. Diamond and Pearl came with much hype, along with it's Video Game on the Nintendo DS. Pokemon fan sites such as PokeBeach and Serebii scoured the internet and even posters and magazines for information before DP came out. As as result, pokemon such as Arceus were known to fans long before Pokemon.com told us :lol:

Diamond and Pearl brought us Pokemon Level X, Normal Darkness and Metal energies and the different classes of trainers. This brought to us staple cards such as Claydol, Uxie, Azelf and Roseanne's Research. Soon came Platinum, which came out with the Platinum Vdeo Game. further additions were made to the already expansive Pokemon TCG Rule Book, such as the introduction of SP Pokemon. SP Pokemon seemed to run rampant with their strong, cheap attacks and their interesting combos. one thing led to another, and we end up here, at Supreme Victors. Now it's obvious that Pokemon made many mistakes during their climb to fame. And now i come to the topic of this article, a list of Mistakes Pokemon made over the years. i will list things that i know of, and if you wish to make any additions please reply and it will be put in here. After i reach a hundred or so things in my list, we'll stop taking anymore things to put in the list.

With no more delay(after dragging y'all through a gigantic monologue), i give you the list(in no particular order), and don't forget to contribute to this list!

1. Donks. it has been discussed right here on Pokegym that everyone hates getting a t1/t2 Donk. It takes the fun out of the game and well, it comes at a cheap win.

2. Choice of cards to play. there are fan favorite Pokemon out there, Pokemon such as Charizard brought us all JOY back in the day. But what has it come to in the Modern Game. We had a TERRIBLE Charizard earlier in the Diamond and Pearl Expansion, and Charizard G F.A.I.L.E.D. Some may argue that it's good, but it just takes too long to charge up.

3. SLEEVES! so many mistakes are made when making these sleeves. Poorly made sleeves are just one reason to hate them.

4. Rogue Decks. Some decks run rampant when they first came out, such as Gengar and Rampardos. G Decks also ran rampant with their speed and good damage and combos.

5. Prize Payout. not too long ago, an Article came out criticizing people who wanted More and MORE. though to some extend i agree with this, i'd have to admit the prize payout for simple tournaments could be better.

6. Some Pokemon have not been made into cards in a long time. Examples such as Wobuffet.

heheheh, that's all the time i have for now, please reply so we can get this article done :rolleyes:

So what you're saying is that you want to be able to hand pick your starters, you're a Charizard fanboy, you like to blame TPCi for something they don't make, you want everybody to play the same deck as everybody else all the time, winning stuff at tournaments that you don't have to pay for isn't good enough for you, and you want obscenely large sets.

Riiiight.

Amen @ the above. I really, REALLY don't see many legitimate gripes to be made. A couple of the ones you have lie tangent to issues that have been better presented in other topics and articles, but the points are not strongly argued (Perhaps that's the "in Progress" part) and most seem like complaining for the sake of complaining.

1. Donks. it has been discussed right here on Pokegym that everyone hates getting a t1/t2 Donk. It takes the fun out of the game and well, it comes at a cheap win.

They've been around since base set. Turn 1 wins can happen, deal with it. This is a card game. Bad hands/godhands happen.

2. Choice of cards to play. there are fan favorite Pokemon out there, Pokemon such as Charizard brought us all JOY back in the day. But what has it come to in the Modern Game. We had a TERRIBLE Charizard earlier in the Diamond and Pearl Expansion, and Charizard G F.A.I.L.E.D. Some may argue that it's good, but it just takes too long to charge up.

We're getting our second ever playable and tournament-worthy Charizard in Advent of Arceus (the only other one that was even a blip was Charizard d). There are always going to be good cards & bad cards. This is a card game.

4. Rogue Decks. Some decks run rampant when they first came out, such as Gengar and Rampardos. G Decks also ran rampant with their speed and good damage and combos.

Do you even know what a "rogue deck" is?

6. Some Pokemon have not been made into cards in a long time. Examples such as Wobuffet.

There are like 490 pokemon now. They'll print pokemon when THEY want to print them. We also haven't had a G/S starter since Mysterious Treasures, and we're getting new ones in HG/SS as expected. Wobbs will probably see a new version soon in the HG/SS generation games - but note that Wobbs wasn't even obtainable in DPP, so not having any Wobbs cards makes some sense.

since Tagrineth missed these

3. SLEEVES! so many mistakes are made when making these sleeves. Poorly made sleeves are just one reason to hate them.

They don't make the sleeves. That's another company

5. Prize Payout. not too long ago, an Article came out criticizing people who wanted More and MORE. though to some extend i agree with this, i'd have to admit the prize payout for simple tournaments could be better.

you are getting something for free, so you really have no place to complain about the prize structure. Or do you think a publicly traded company should minimize its profits and fail its investors? The prizes are a perk to a fun game, not an entitlement.

but I will add one

7. Allows players who constantly complain about the most trivial non-issues to continue to play the game in free tournaments and receive free prize support which is obviously unappreciated and taken for granted.

Grow up.

^There's actually a reason for it. From Pokebeach (this is from a poll):

Pokebeach.com said:
Uri Geller (15.0%, 754 Votes) - His "ability" to bend spoons using psychic powers (trickery) was used to make the Pokemon Kadabra, whose Japanese name is Yungerer as a nod to his inspiration. Unfortunately, Geller discovered a Dark Kadabra card and took insult: "Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokemon character. Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image." He took Nintendo to court and sued for millions, but the case was apparently thrown out. However, Kadabra was never made into a Pokemon card again after Skyridge. At Worlds 2006, I asked Pokemon Card Laboratory why Kadabra was absent from the card game and got a "my-lips-are-sealed" motion, despite them telling me other things about the TCG that I asked. In 2008, I interviewed Masamitsu Hidaka, the old director of the show, and he stated that the case was not in fact settled and that Kadabra was put aside for now. Either way, we still don't have a Kadabra card! To top all of it off, Geller can't even bend spoons with his mind or detect water like he claims.

@OP: If you don't like the card game so much, don't play.

Sleeves Yes they did it wrong.
Donks are bad.
red face paint are okay.
I am good with everything else.

Wait oh ya..... we need better Pokemon TCG ITEMS and ECT that JAPAN GETS!

I agree with this one a bit. I don't think the game is any better for making cards DESIGNED for T1 wins (Machamp, basically). It doesn't seem to be so much of a problem now though.

There hasn't been a good Charizard ever. Just cos something is a fan favourite, doesn't mean it has to be a good card. I don't remember any broken Pikachus either.

They don't make the sleeves. If you are talking about prerelease sleeves, then they go up and down in quality.

I dunno even know what you are saying here. There always have been plenty of counters to Gengar, Rampardos, and G decks.

Play the game for fun and friendships. Treat any prizes you win as a bonus. Simple.

Yep, they really messed up here. The lack of Wobuffets in the format has hurt the game more than I can say.

not Errata-ing Blastoie EX/Articuno EX sooner.
I knew all along (along with many other people) that the card was being misplayed.
BUT NOOO...

^ there's many things that I don't like but hey I still play
*COUGH*
MY sleeve/ card incident at Nationals. MY Brand New Sleeves can be supposedly worn.
OH yeah that card isn't mint- and it's in a sleeve! ~_~ w/e
(opponent didn't even see it either.) ~_~;
*COUGH*

So what you're saying is that you want to be able to hand pick your starters, you're a Charizard fanboy, you like to blame TPCi for something they don't make, you want everybody to play the same deck as everybody else all the time, winning stuff at tournaments that you don't have to pay for isn't good enough for you, and you want obscenely large sets.

Riiiight.

QFT. I'm no fanboy thats going to say there were no mistakes, but come on at least list legitamate mistakes made, not complaining about yuor favorite pokemon beeing bad or donks.

It is very unbalanced to list anyone's "mistakes" without considering all of their successes as well. Who doesn't have experiences that they might have handled differently in the past. I really don't have much patience for Monday morning quarterbacks.

All that being said, I could have lived without the unbalanced GG days. But I think that Pokemon did an outstanding job and rebalancing the format in the 2008 - 2009 season.

winning stuff at tournaments that you don't have to pay for isn't good enough for you, and you want obscenely large sets.

Riiiight.

Because the cards we play just fall from the sky and arent basically cvolorful paper with no real value that are sold for 4€....

So sick of this stupid argument, yeah it is free, but we pay more then enough for the cards, this is a way to pay back...

You definitely need to add a short little bit about the Junior and Senior divisions in there.

Seriously, this is a major flaw in the tournament structure that I feel we need to petition to have removed. If they are old enough to shout obscenities at me over XBL, they are old enough to play against me in Pokemans.

Seriously, this is a major flaw in the tournament structure that I feel we need to petition to have removed. If they are old enough to shout obscenities at me over XBL, they are old enough to play against me in Pokemans.

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Either way, my answer is the same...

Different age divisions are the entire basis of this game. Without them, there is no marketing towards the younger age groups (which has always been a primary marketing technique), new young players won't join at any point, and the game stagnates much like Magic and YGO.

In short, the age divisions are what make Pokemon one of the strongest TCGs on the market today.

Back