Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A Look at the New Championship Point System by Jason Klaczynski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkrai Trainer

Jason wrote an article on The Top Cut about the changes to the Championship Point system. http://thetopcut.net/2012/09/10/a-look-at-the-new-championship-point-system/

As a player that did not start playing competitively until last year, I enjoyed reading about the previous systems. Is it true that players would drop rather than finish tournaments? Players even sat out U.S. Nationals? Why, though? Could one tournament really lower your rating that much?

Definitely.

I remember my roommate, Omar, dropped from Nationals after getting turn one donked the first round (his lone basic pokemon was knocked out by an opponent's tech machamp line) before he could even draw a card.

He had to drop because even with that loss, he would probably still get in by the skin of his teeth if he just 'sat' on his remaining points.

I think Drew Holton had to do the same thing. It's lame when a former National finalist has to sit out of the tournament, or in Fulop's case a national champion has to sit out because they had secured a rating invite, but only barely, and would sit out because they either had to make t32 to recoup losing more than 2 matches. Seeing those risks as slim to break even, they opt to sit and go to worlds with a much smaller contestant pool with bigger prizes.

It's a sad reality, it happened all the time. I think it was Guy B who actually won that CC we went to in the GA marathon. So many people dropped out, that he moved from 11th to last seed, and then proceeded to win.

great article though. This is a step in the right direction. i Love the 'amount' goal, not the range goal.

Yes, basically everything he said was true.

For example, I only played two events prior to Nationals 2011. I went even at both events. So, my rating was around 1600. After going a cumulative 9-1 at Nats My rating was around 1775. One event with a large enough K value, was more than enough to put you in or out of an invite.

Yes, basically everything he said was true.

For example, I only played two events prior to Nationals 2011. I went even at both events. So, my rating was around 1600. After going a cumulative 9-1 at Nats My rating was around 1775. One event with a large enough K value, was more than enough to put you in or out of an invite.

And thats why Tom Dolezal used to just go to nationals as the only tournament he went to and kill everyones ratings and make it into worlds.

And Tom Dolezal did the same thing this year as well, top 8'd in Nats and went to Worlds. Some things don't change.

The changes over the last couple of years have all been good. The system should never have encouraged people to not play or to play less for any reason. The current system is the best I've ever seen from Pokemon and I'm sure it will only get better.

And Tom Dolezal did the same thing this year as well, top 8'd in Nats and went to Worlds. Some things don't change.

The changes over the last couple of years have all been good. The system should never have encouraged people to not play or to play less for any reason. The current system is the best I've ever seen from Pokemon and I'm sure it will only get better.

Well technicaly Tom had to play in other tournaments also because of the 10PP requirement.

He could also have been active in several leagues/gone to a few PRs/etc to avoid changing ELO/CP and still had enough play points to compete.

He could also have been active in several leagues/gone to a few PRs/etc to avoid changing ELO/CP and still had enough play points to compete.

Well wouldnt it have been better to play in tournaments to earn more cp and increase his elo. Why is it bad to increase your cp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back