Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A "magical" weekend in Oregon.....

Skywolf1

Playing this game for close to 10 years as I have, I have been through many of the "tumultous" cycles that this game has been through during this period.

Though all the myriad of rules changes, company changes and player changes that have befallen the game over this 10 year period, one very special quality that is the underlying fabric of this game, remains unchanged.

This quality made itself clearly evident during a visit to Northern Oregon where I had the distinct honor of playing amoung Oregon`s finest. (Watch out Washington, these folks are GOOD!)

Qualities were exhibited here, that epitomize the game, commorodery, fun, and strategy and unique playing styles, that only this game can muster!

As coordinated and skillful as Oregon players were, as equally impressive was the judging staff and TO who ran events in both Portland (Saturday) and Salem (Sunday).

These folks possessed a magic ingrediant that gave me a renewed hope in this game`s future. The wonderful thing here is folks, especially of you whose leagues and tournaments, might be going through some challenges currently, is that this magic ingrediant can be implemented by ANYONE regardless of TO experience level.

So, what exactly IS this magic ingredient, you ask? PARTICIPATION.

Yep, that it! Pretty simple, eh? As a matter of fact, yes it is.

Too many times, I have witnessed TO`s, judges and even players, playing for the WRONG purpose -- Compensation and nothing else. This, folks is not what the game is about, and implementing these type of "self-serving" motivations will only serve a self defeating, and ultimately "destructive" purpose.

You may be asking, "How do you KNOW this"? Good question, I have seen the disbandment of several leagues here in Las Vegas, because league leaders (Our TO, PT&E Games, which serves the states of Nevada and Southern California, has done, and I am sure, WILL continue to do a masterful job with Pokemon. Great going Karl. Also, Chris Guss has done a wonderful job is keeping one of our remaining leagues going down here. Good work Chris!) have had their heart in the wrong place.

While it pains me to see folks only in the game, or in a higher capacity (such as TO, or Judge), I pleases me to say, that these folks are relatively few in number.

What I saw in Oregon this past weekend, was a demonstation of selfless dedication to the game of Pokemon, and this same selfless dedication trancended down to the players, who played their hearts out, in what amounted to some of the most intense showing of strategy I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

The numbers were further testament to this wonderful truth, with close to 70 players showing up in Portland, and close to the same number in attendence (a record high) in Salem.

The Tournament Organizers, Judges and Players all worked in fluid congruency, that made this event, one of the BEST series of events I have ever had the pleasure of attending.

Great Job Richard, Sean et. al. You all are the epitomy of what makes this game truly "magical"! :thumb: :thumb:

Marsh Schneidau
(aka Skywolf1)

Many thanks for the high praise.:thumb:

It is the selfless dedication to the game that so many players and organizers in the world are missing.

PS. I almost played you in the first round. I was at the wrong table, and you ended up playing my brother. It was nice meeting you.

Back