Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

A suggestion to Nintendo for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaNd0m

First of all, I want to say that this was an excellent gym challenge season. I had a great time at all 4 events and I really appreciate what Nintendo has done for the game.

I just have one suggestion for next year: I don't think it's fair to players to allow people with trips to play in Gym Challenges. I hope that Nintendo takes some actions next year to correct this. Basically what happens is that groups come with 3-4 trip winners, they do well, then forfeit in the top 8 to basically give their friends a free trip. I don't really like this practice, and I think it's unfair to the rest of the players.

If you come without a group, you're at a huge disadvantage. Note: This didn't really affect me this weekend in my two gym challenges... I lost in the first round of top 8 at Collinsville, and I missed top 8 with a (3-2) record at St. Louis. However, two people with trips did make top 8 in St. Louis... and that probably would've put me in there.

I don't have an issue with people with trips playing in multiple regionals. However, in GC's... there's no incentive for them to play outside to help their friends win trips.

Thoughts?

I've thought/said this since the WotC (STS) days.

Yes, yes yes we've heard it all before: 'if you're not the best, you don't deserve to win...', 'I need to playtest', etc. etc. blah.

But why should your 'need'/'right' to playtest supercede the right of all the other players who have not as of yet won trips to do so...without the tourney results being skewed by players with trips who are either playing for 'fun' or to 'clear the field' for friends/siblings/apprentice buddies?

Does anyone remember the questions that came up both last year and this about if people WITH INVITES would be allowed to play in the Grinder, in order to 'playtest'? How self-centered is that? "Yeah, it's your last, ONLY chance to get into the tourney _I_ already have a seat in...but I wanna playtest!11!"

At least at a regionals there is the scholarship award over and above the trip; as long as the trip passes down I don't have a problem with people playing and winning multiple regionals. But when the ONLY prize (other than product) is a trip? Let those without one battle it out without interference from those who already have theirs, please!

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
I believe that if anyone already has a trip, they should be able to play in any tournament they want.

BUT...I don't think that a person with an invite should be able to play 'knockout' for their friends in top8.

It is unfair to the rest of us when one of the worlds best players comes to and wins a Gym challenge (ie. Ness). But it is not fair to them to be denied a chance to play in an open event. what would these people be told at the door? 'Sorry, you can't play; you're too good?'

I think we need to find the best of both worlds.

My idea: Any one with a trip may play in any GC they want, but they automatically forfit their shot at top8 should they qualify.

This happens all the time. At the Gym Challenge today, in the top 4, 1 had already won, so they dropped automaticly for their friend, who went on to win the whole thing. If that person had not been in the top 4, that drop would not have happened and that person might not have gone on to finals and won the whole thing. I'm not saying that I am against the people who do it, I am just saying that there is something wrong with people dropping for their friends. You think about it. 10 people want into the top 8, if 3 of those people already have trips, why deny the chance to get a trip from the 9th and 10th place person who don't have trips? Playtesting? Yeah right, that's funny. People have every second to play test and if they don't get to playtest until when tournaments come around, they are in trouble anyways. I really like the idea of nobody being allowed in the "top anything" if they already have won a trip. Why even play in it?

My view on this is simple.

If you have a trip, you shouldn't be allowed to play in any Gym Challenges.

If you won a trip in Regionals, you can play in as many as you like (Regionals)

But, if you have a trip, you can't play in the GC's.. Thats how I think it should be done.

~truk

A small comment:

If you've got it flaunt it.

Using the GC's to some kind of strategical whatever you call it is wrong though.

Tyranitar666 said:
I say add scholarships to GCs!

Actually, this is the direction I'd like to see the program go in.

My guess is that will take continued growth in OP generally and growth in card sales that can be linked to OP in some measurable way in particular.

OFF - Topic: What could be done by the player base to help grow OP and card sales?
ON - Topic: Does the current system of allowing winners to enter events at the same level take away or contribute to growing OP and card sales?

bulbasnore said:
Actually, this is the direction I'd like to see the program go in.

My guess is that will take continued growth in OP generally and growth in card sales that can be linked to OP in some measurable way in particular.

OFF - Topic: What could be done by the player base to help grow OP and card sales?
ON - Topic: Does the current system of allowing winners to enter events at the same level take away or contribute to growing OP and card sales?

What could be done by the player base to help grow OP and card sales?

I would hope everyone else does what I have, put up flyers where you live about the so and so event.

Does the current system of allowing winners to enter events at the same level take away or contribute to growing OP and card sales?

It takes away, by some people I'm sure just saying," I'm fed up with this game, and just quit."
It contributes by those certain players buying alot of product to get those certain cards.

My suggestion that I've been working on is a state prelims.

How it goes down is that only residents from that area or state are elgible for participation.
1st of course gets an invite, but no product (boxes, binders, etc...)

Its just an idea that I think is fesible. We'll have to see though...

Fulop is really on the right track here. Instead of telling players with trips, "You can't play here because there is no incentive other than winning a trip so by you playing you're just grinching non-trip winners out of trips," you just add a scholarship to the GCs so that they actually do have a reason to not concede to their buddies/play it out :smile:

POP have made a big thing of The Spirit of The Game.

I expect they will be trying to judge if allowing already qualified players to continue to play hurts or promotes TSoTG.

Last year it was IDs this year its 'collusion' dropping and conceeding just to help friends. I could easily imagine a one-then-done principle being introduced for each class of qualifier. Because I'm certain that as the game grows we will get an increase in the number of accusations flying around. Its a shame that we have to legislate for the worst behaviour of a minority. such rules invariably hurt the honest majority.

Last edited:
The Coral Springs, FL Gym Challenge was very odd.

The 10th place Swiss finisher in 15+ won the trip when it cut to the Top 8 (two friends who had trips already and made Top 8 dropped so he could get in).

The 3rd place Swiss finisher in 10- won when it cut to the Top 2 (his friend who had a trip and finished 2nd dropped). (And just a top 2 cut due to the number of players in attendance.)

It's good to have friends so you can make the cut! (Not just good, but NECESSARY these days it seems! LOL)

But I guess if you want to be a PURIST, you could make the case that neither of these players actually EARNED the right, by playing, to be in the top cuts.

Last edited:
The game is supposed to be fun and GC's are fun. If you take away the oppurtunity for trip winners to play in a GC then your taking away their fun.

JMHO

In GCs, the primary purpose is to give 1 trip/age group to the winner. The product prize is not great enough (IMHO) to justify traveling groups to block/play for their friends. If you have won a trip already, that means you have already won at least (minimum) 1 box of product, at best scholarships. I have no problem with multiple attempts at regionals bc there are scholarship money to be gained. A great incentive for our teen/early 20 group.

Let the non trip winners battle it out in GCs IMO. Of course, the numbers would be down some, but I submit that if the word was out that previous trip winners couldn't play, you may have a few more folks PLAY bc they wont feel likeit is hopeless. The lesser of the 2 evils is to let them play, but drop them automatically from the Top X cut (therefore the Top X games are actually played out vs. concessions). I just like to see games played out and a winner crowned bc they earned it, not have it given to them. But, until the rules are changed, we must deal with what we have. Just like last year w/ IDs, I think PUI will look strong at how many top X games were "conceded" to friends/peers. Thats my 2 cents worth.

Keith

I, too, feel like people who have invites should NOT be allowed to play in the GC's right now. If scholorships are added to them, then let everyone play ( like it is now ) . I don't like " one and done" for events w/ scholorship $ ( obv. like Nats. and the regionals) , but gym challenges are worlds qualifiers and nothing else. If you have a trip you shouldn't be allowed to play in a GC. My 2 cents...

Read the gorn's post above, unfortunately what he says is pretty much true.

Last edited:
KG1337 said:
The game is supposed to be fun and GC's are fun. If you take away the oppurtunity for trip winners to play in a GC then your taking away their fun.

JMHO

So, only the trip winner's fun matters?

The whole point of the Worlds qualifiers is to get the best players in the world to the final tournament of the season. If players with trips are "Grinching" others who don't have trips to help out friends are the best players still going to Worlds? I know several players that have won trips several times over this year. I think PUI needs to be clear in how they feel about this and make a decision about the next tournament season. There are valid arguments on both sides. Personally I think if players have already won trips and want to participate they should be judging and helping run the tournaments. That way they can still be involved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back