Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

age modified swiss, mess up in rulings?

Snorlaxative

hey people i just want you to read this about my City Champs in Chattanooga, TN and i want you to tell me what you think about this

Well in the turny there was about 20 to 25 people there and we played four regular rounds. My score after those rounds were over was 9 (3-1) now at this point there were two people ahead of me in my age group (11-14), one kid with 9 points but a higher percentage and anouther with 12 points. now we all went to the finals (top 8) and in the first round i beat the kid who had 12 points and the next round i beat the other one with 9 points, and in the end i finished in second against a 16 year old. now at the end when they handed out prizes they said i got thierd place because the finals didnt count and the kid who had 12 points won first place with the box invite and so on. while I got stuck with a 3rd place prize of 8 packs. Now as you can tell the finals in this tourny didnt seem to have any effect on the standings, it was only for fun.

Now that you have heard my story can someone please clear this up for me? Are the finals suppose to count at all twords the final standings in the age groups? Please respond on this question or on what you think about what happend.

What was announced at the tourney? Did they announce a Top 8 would be held after Swiss? And did they announce that T8 would only be for fun?

BJJ763 said:
What was announced at the tourney? Did they announce a Top 8 would be held after Swiss? And did they announce that T8 would only be for fun?

they said nothing about T8 being for fun and infact everyone thought it was going to be counted for the finals i belive

well if they didnet say the finals would be for fun then thats thier fault and they should be reported to nintendo for messing up a city championship. Thats my opinion. I cnat speak up for you but im letting you know what i woul;d if done.

Snorlaxative said:
they said nothing about T8 being for fun and infact everyone thought it was going to be counted for the finals i belive
Nope - I announced that we had a clear cut to both top 8 AND for the standings at round 4. Since I had several parents and kids pounding on me to go home I announced that we would run top 8 for points (ie rankings) but that the standings were fixed at the cut to playoffs. I also stated that at the end of playoffs we would finish handing out the awards as it is a pain to pack that stuff around. We had one top finisher leave early which is why I had kevin take a time out to pose for the shot of all 3 top finishers before he left. I also handed out several of the 3rd and 4th place awards before top 8 was over to keep the restless kids pacified. That should have been a clue when I do these sorts of things before top 8 is done... A lot of people like to still do a top 8 even when the standings are clear for 2 reasons - the rankings and the settle-all-bets who was the top dawg.
Sorry you either didn't hear that or misunderstood.

Last edited:
yah, the TO shouldn't have done the top 8 thing "just for rankings." That was very confusing, and IMO, only caused problems. I'll be curious to see if those top 8 rounds really do get reported.

Finally, 4 rounds is too short for 20-25 players, especially for a Championship without a Top 4/8. We had 22 players last week in Lakewood CO and ran 6 rounds (minimum number of rounds + 1) without a Top 4/8. Plus, we did best-of-3, 45-minute rounds, causing us to run the tournament for almost 6 hours (plus 1 hour for registration). We didn't have a single player drop, because they were told up-front that dropping would mean they would forfeit their prizes. Evidently, you had some players and parents who didn't really understand this was a CHAMPIONSHIP. Parents were more concerned about their OWN inconvenience rather than their child's happiness.

Anyway, the TO/HJ didn't do anything technically wrong here. Just a bad choice to use that additional time to run a meaningless Top 8 instead of running a meaningful Top 8, or at least extending the swiss rounds another round or two. JMO.

I agree with Steve.Running that Top 8 "just for rankings" was pointless if you aren`t going to include them as final results for each age.Either do the Top 8 and include them as distinguishing who finishes where,or don`t run one at all.;)

As for where Steve pointed out doing the "minimum +1" for rounds,thats always best to try and run as many rounds as you can to get rid of as many "ties" as possible.For example,my last two tourneys I ran that had 17 and 20 people.Both times,after five rounds we had 8 people tied at 3-2 in the 3rd through 10th spots.That means two people that were tied in record,were cut out by resistance.Now,running our 6th round,we were able to break up the ties a little and the cut off at the 8th and ninth spot were fine since 8th had a better record than 9th.

Even though it takes longer to run more rounds,it`s the true way to run a tournament.Cutting it short just isn`t right and parents will have to learn that.If you run them the length you should,then most parents will learn to accept that but if you run some tournaments shorter,then your just spoiling them and when it comes to a "longer" tournament or any other tournament,then you`ll run into problems.Just my opinion.:)

`Sensei

Back